Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys - do different punches work different muscle groups? Meaning, if I want to really focus on my pecs throat this kind of punch, etc. Thanks for the input!

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
Most punching power comes from the muscles in your back contracting while rotating from the hips. You need a strong core and explosiveness to punch hard. Focus on your abdomen, back, and legs. Regular training will strengthen your shoulders and arms a bit, but thats not where all the power comes from.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
I always wondered abit about this. To be a big body puncher is there different muscles needed? than say if you were a good puncher to the head. I know alot of power in uppercuts comes from the legs. I wouldnt say you need really muscular arms to be a big hitter, guys with long reach tend to generate alot of power.

·
Registered
5 Posts
yeah what captain obvious said is true. it helps having muscles in your arms, but real punching power comes from core. hooks come from the hips and body.
i've sparred with several kids in my neighborhood with big ass biceps, but couldn't punch to save their lives.
i don't think punching the body is any different from the head.
medicine ball and swinging a sledgehammer at a tire helps. you'll notice it in a few weeks.

·
Registered
43 Posts
True, core-muscles and legs because essentialy all you are doing is transferring kinetic energy from the ground. Kinetic energy works with momentum - hence a correct timing is even more important.

·
Registered
4 Posts
hit a really heavy heavybag and develop that snap in your shoulder. Also as stated above core and hipo power also play a big factor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts