Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son has started amature boxing at a late age of 23.His record is so far 3 and o and all knockouts within 2. Here is some positive info on his abilities

lefty, bench press 220 for 10,reach 185
chest 43, biceps 15,iron chin,extreme endurance

so you get the message but he only weighs 150 lbs

So my question , he seems to know how to use his strength and south paw abilities and dominates his oponents. How strong are the other boxers in his weight class at the profesional level.

what are his chances of sucess of course were thinking big.

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
His build is good and I'ma assume 185 is in centimeters which is still pretty long. You say but he only weighs like its a bad thing, the lighter he is the harder his opponents feel his punch. That is pretty strong for a boxer that size (pro or amatuer) the bad thing is strength takes a back seat to technique, athleticism, and natural ability.

You can't say he has an iron chin if he is an amatuer since it isnt really tested. You cant really tell much on him from his record since the quality of opposition is probably not that good as of right now but it is a real good start and tells you about his character regardless of opposition.

It is a late start, but there have been boxers that have started later and have gone on to become a titlist (recent exp Nate Campbell) so it is possible. What will be the most important thing for him these next couple years is dedication and ability to learn and put to practice. It's cliche, but the more he trains the better he'll get and if he can learn and put to practice and get better at what was taught to him will be the tell tale sign between him being able to succeed.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
A little too early to think successful and people at 150 are people like Cotto's range. Goodluck with it though and keep training. I say fight every month. Go into tournaments and stuff.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
The best advice i can give you is not to go pro too soon. Experiance in the amateurs is pricelezz and he should really build some solid ground there before thinking about going pro. Alot of big prospect were exposed because they went pro to soon and also to stay active and try to get as many fights as possible :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts