Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I’m new to the forums.
I’m a girl boxer from Australia currently training for her first amateur bout.
My details:
Weight: 63/64kg
Height: 165cm

I’m looking to lose at least 4kgs to get down to my goal weight of 60kg. I’m quite lean already around the top half of my body but I’m looking to get better muscle tone all round, and just get a harder, leaner body – I really want to get my body fat percentage way down.

My current training program:
Monday morning: 15min warm up by skipping followed by approx. 30min of weights + squats and lunges (45mins)
Monday night: Boxing training including skipping, a spar, bag work, pad work with my trainer and lots of other things (2hrs)
Tuesday morning: Same as Monday morning (45mins)
Tuesday night: Rest
Wed morning: 15 mins of sprint work. 1 min run, 30sec sprint and so forth. I basically do as much as I can. Then I skip, use speed ball, anything else I feel like (45mins).
Wednesday night: Same as Mon night. (2hrs)
Thursday morning: Same as Mon & Tues (weights) (45mins)
Thursday night: Same as Mon & Wed nights (2hrs)
Friday: 45 run at the gym (45mins).
Friday night: rest
Saturday morning: Weight training – pretty much same as Mon, Tues and Thur morning (45mins)
Saturday afternoon: Boxing training – sparring, bag work, pad work, skipping etc (3.5hrs)
Sunday: rest day but lately I’ve been going for a long run outdoor – 8 or 9km (1hr)

I think what I do already is heaps, especially since I’m working full time.
But I do wish I had more time to train more and do more things, but I just feel as if I don’t – I need some time to rest as well and really value having some free time.

My main aim as I said before is to lose a good 4 kgs and get a leaner, harder body and of course keep increasing my fitness level.

My trainer is also working on a lot of conditioning stuff with me.

Just wondering what you guys thought of my program?

Any obvious mistakes or things I definitely should be doing which I’m not? Anything I’m doing to much of?

Also – what are you thoughts on swimming as something to add into my training program? Maybe on one of the mornings instead of a run/sprint.

Any feedback and/or comments, good or bad, are much appreciated.

Oh I guess I should also mention my diet – It’s very good. I only eat good food but I love eating. So I’m trying really hard on cutting down my portion size and just eating smaller meals more often.

·
Registered
14 Posts
remember to listen to your body. if you need more rest take it. a few day off can do wonders , it sure beats 2 months out with an injury . best of luck

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
I don't really suggest skipping. Do jump rope instead. Run a lot more and i do suggest swimming but i wouldn't switch my schedule and put swimming over running you benefit more from running. You do not need any weight training and i hope you're not doing any bicep workouts which do not benefit you at all. If anything do back workouts and shoulder workouts also make sure you do a lot of ab workouts. Do some more pad work it doesn't seem like you're doing enough of it. Pad work helps you on accuracy which you will need. You should try going down in weight. You weigh 140 pounds (Had to look on google how to switch KG to LBS) You should to drop about 4 kgs because of your height. Your body fat percentage wont go down unless you either fix your diet a little more or work with weights a lot more but i don't suggest that we don't need you bulking up. Weights are okay if you're using them to cut up though but watch out for how much you're lifting and how many reps. I'm 125 lbs which is 56kg i usually lift about my weight but there may be a difference in what you should do because you're a woman. Don't wanna seem sexist either lol =P

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't really suggest skipping. Do jump rope instead. Run a lot more and i do suggest swimming but i wouldn't switch my schedule and put swimming over running you benefit more from running. You do not need any weight training and i hope you're not doing any bicep workouts which do not benefit you at all. If anything do back workouts and shoulder workouts also make sure you do a lot of ab workouts. Do some more pad work it doesn't seem like you're doing enough of it. Pad work helps you on accuracy which you will need. You should try going down in weight. You weigh 140 pounds (Had to look on google how to switch KG to LBS) You should to drop about 4 kgs because of your height. Your body fat percentage wont go down unless you either fix your diet a little more or work with weights a lot more but i don't suggest that we don't need you bulking up. Weights are okay if you're using them to cut up though but watch out for how much you're lifting and how many reps. I'm 125 lbs which is 56kg i usually lift about my weight but there may be a difference in what you should do because you're a woman. Don't wanna seem sexist either lol =P
Sorry if this sounds funny...but isn't jumping rope skipping? Or are you suggesting I should be saying 'jumping rope'? :)

I've been doing weights for a while now....a bit of everything and thats exactly why I doing them, to cut up. They have really help cut up my shoulders and back and make me leaner and stronger. I've always been told weights are an integeral part of working out as the more muscle you have and the leaner you are the easier you lose weight. I'm usinsg light weights - high repitition cos I don't wanna get bulky just leaner, and thats been working really well so far.

I know I need to lose another 4kgs...thats my main aim as mentioned in my first post.

And you don't sounds sexist at all-thanks for the input, it's much appreciated :)

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Ya jumping rope IS skipping but jumping rope is more beneficial in my opinion. Good that you know not to bulk up but as for everything else you know what to do.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ya jumping rope IS skipping but jumping rope is more beneficial in my opinion. Good that you know not to bulk up but as for everything else you know what to do.

Yea thanks...def don't wanna bulk and look to big. Thats not where I want my body to be at!!

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
You have a good routine except for the weights. Boxing and weights don't go well with eachother. If you want to get your stomach more solid, do sit ups on an incline board with a medicine ball. Do 4-8 sets of 25. It will do wonders after a few weeks of it. Also do push ups and pull ups. Use your natural body weight and natural exercises to tone and gain muscle. It will allow you to gain as much muscle as your body wants without over kill and limiting your flexibility.

Oh, and good luck on your fight.;)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You have a good routine except for the weights. Boxing and weights don't go well with eachother. If you want to get your stomach more solid, do sit ups on an incline board with a medicine ball. Do 4-8 sets of 25. It will do wonders after a few weeks of it. Also do push ups and pull ups. Use your natural body weight and natural exercises to tone and gain muscle. It will allow you to gain as much muscle as your body wants without over kill and limiting your flexibility.

Oh, and good luck on your fight.;)
Thanks for reply. Do they not go well because they make you bigger and therefore slower? Are the weights I'm doing really not good, considering they are light weights and I just do high reps?

I do lots of pushups but will defenitley consider doing more pull-ups...I dont do any of them.
I'll also incorporate your sit-up/medicine ball suggestion..I do them sometimes but without the ball and I can actually only manage about 3 sets of 20...they are really hard. So I'll certainly try working on those.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Work your way up. It'll get easier. You can work your abs out every day by the way. You don't need to worry about overworking them. It really depends on how much you're lifting and how many reps. Maintain a high amount of reps and weights lower than your weight and you'll be fine. My weight training has stiffened my jab really well i felt it much better in my last sparring session. I established my jab and jabbed really strong and hard. Stiffen your jab by back workouts and strengthen your punches as a whole by doing back workouts. Also leg workouts too. Other than that you do not need any other workouts. I just wanna look good all around cause i'm a pretty boy like that lol thats why i work out everything. I box and i workout at the weight lifting gym to make my body look nice you know how guys are i'm sure.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I gotta say, I'm very impressed by your routine. I noticed everyone was telling you to limit your weight training, you for one shouldn't worry about it. Your a woman, you can do tons of weight training, as much as you like without worrying about bulking up. The female body takes weight training slightly different than men do(much lower testosterone levels). You'll just add tone and strength to your body along with strengthening your punches, which imo would be a better advantage in women's boxing. Just remember to stretch. You should try resistance stretching. It works wonders. Other than that keep up the good work.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I gotta say, I'm very impressed by your routine. I noticed everyone was telling you to limit your weight training, you for one shouldn't worry about it. Your a woman, you can do tons of weight training, as much as you like without worrying about bulking up. The female body takes weight training slightly different than men do(much lower testosterone levels). You'll just add tone and strength to your body along with strengthening your punches, which imo would be a better advantage in women's boxing. Just remember to stretch. You should try resistance stretching. It works wonders. Other than that keep up the good work.
Thanks :) It's nice to know that actually cos I am training really hard at the moment and with a full time job it's sometimes tiring. I'm up at 5.45am some days and don't get home until 8.30pm - but I know it's all gonna be worth it when I jump in the ring in my first fight as the fitter, better prepared fighter and my hand gets held up..I can't wait.

Yea thats exactly why I feel like my weight training is benefiting me - it's make me more toned and stronger.

I'll take on board you stretching suggestion, even though I do try and stretch alot already. Cheers NSB!!

·
Registered
841 Posts
Thanks :) It's nice to know that actually cos I am training really hard at the moment and with a full time job it's sometimes tiring. I'm up at 5.45am some days and don't get home until 8.30pm - but I know it's all gonna be worth it when I jump in the ring in my first fight as the fitter, better prepared fighter and my hand gets held up..I can't wait.

Yea thats exactly why I feel like my weight training is benefiting me - it's make me more toned and stronger.

I'll take on board you stretching suggestion, even though I do try and stretch alot already. Cheers NSB!!
:)No Prob. Again, very impressive. Keep doin what your doin. Cheers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts