Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 280 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back from attending the fight live. And I had a great time. My thoughts on the fight was I think Oscar should retire. Oscar is my favorite fighter, but I think it's time for him to go. The fight resemble a sparring session. I mean Oscar didn't look bad. And in the long run I think getting 12 rounds of action is good for him. But I don't think he can beat Mayweather. And I would hate to see him getting another lose. That being said, it was great evening. Victor Ortiz had a great fight. He got knocked down but came back to win by knock out. The best fight was between Freddy Curiel and Sven Paris. Paris won by SD. Young prospects Jacobs and Sanchez won. Sanchez looked great.

And for those that are curious Gerald did not hook up with Daisy De La Hoya. He some how managed to get down to ringside. And did manage to speak to her. But that was it. But do not feel to bad for my Gerald. He and Lorenzo hooked up with some girls and left with them. Who knows where there at? But if I know Gerald, i'm sure he's having a good time. LOL

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
I thought Oscar looked good. He seemed to work at a decent pace and didn't fade down the stretch which was good to see, Forbes caught him with some decent shots early but after that Oscar's defense was pretty tight.

I don't know if he should retire, but he definetly shouldn't fight Floyd. Floyd will pick him apart all night, im not sure if Floyd has the power to stop Oscar but he'll hurt him a few times im sure.

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
Oscar looked good enough to stick with his plan of two more fights, if he stays in the gym he could have a better chance to beat Floyd the second time around, who knows.
Forbes did the best he could, he hung in there like a man and didn't allow his ass to get knock out, but he's defenetly better of at a lower weight class, he's clearly too small for jr middle weight.
he still has some life left in his game......

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Forbes had impressive flurries, but didn't use enough of them, plus he has only 9 KO's in 33 fights? Oscar just plain over powered him. He was the perfect "Opponent" Kudos to the GoldenBoy brain trust.

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
Oscar looked alright IMO. He had Forbes in trouble several times and he wasn't able to stop him. He's busier and more relaxed but he was fighting a lesser guy who landed a lot of good shots on Oscar. I haven't seen him being this much bruised in a while. I haven't seen any dramatic change with Floyd Sr in his corner. If anything Floyd watched that fight and saw no power threat from Oscar so he might be the agressor in the rematch.

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
Forbes had impressive flurries, but didn't use enough of them, plus he has only 9 KO's in 33 fights? Oscar just plain over powered him. He was the perfect "Opponent" Kudos to the GoldenBoy brain trust.
He sure did, Oscar face was saying ( Steve Forves was here) after the fight :laugh:
Forves was saying ( and Oscar too but he didn't knock me out)....

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Maybe, but as Lamply said the fact that he didn't win a single round made it look like a sparing session. I'll go one step further, and say that if there was ever a fixed fight this was it, and hey it's always happened in boxing. You think the "GoldenBoy" is going to let a guy like Forbes ruin his exit strategy, and plans to become the first Billionaire in Boxing? I just don't trust the whole GoldenBoy Enterprise especially when the Boss is the one doing the fighting. Then throw the whole Mayweather clan in there with their promotional prowess. Something stinks, and it's called DeLaHoya vs. Mayweather II. Somethings not right when the promotion is so out in front of the fight itself.

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
I would'nt go as far as calling it a fix, Foves didn't act like a duck looking for a place to fall, he tried to make a fight out of it, but was simply out classed, sure there was a lot of thoug put into this fight, but nothing eligit that I could see, those bumps and bruises on Oscar face didn't happen cause Forvez was wearing over sized gloves see my point?

·
Wet Beaver Bandit
5,334 Posts
That fight wasn't fixed. DIrrell/ Hanshaw didn't seem right but that's neither here nor there.

I'm saying Ricky needs to fight Steve Forbes. I think that would be a great fight and once again a good tune up for someone going in to fight Floyd.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I would'nt go as far as calling it a fix, Foves didn't act like a duck looking for a place to fall, he tried to make a fight out of it, but was simply out classed, sure there was a lot of thoug put into this fight, but nothing eligit that I could see, those bumps and bruises on Oscar face didn't happen cause Forvez was wearing over sized gloves see my point?
Sure, maybe "a fix" is a stretch, but Oscar and Mayweather are BIG BUSINESS, with ambitions to become Billionaires. I just don't trust them, and anything is possible.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Get real. the fight wasn't fixed, Forbes just gave De La Hoya a run for his money. If Forbes had any power at all it would have been a much closer fight. I also think the punch totals were bullshit because Steve blocked a lot more than the numbers show. Anyway that's my two cents.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I've nothing to say on the fight because I was absolutely off my face and can remember nothing after the first round.:D

·
Registered
707 Posts
This was the first fight I have seen Forbes in were he got totally out classed. He is always very competitive.I know some people around here hate to give Oscar credit for a very carefully crafted strategy and satying with it.Floyd on the other hand fights every fight like that and you guys love him for it and tell us haters that's just the way Floyd fights as long as he wins that is all that matters.I am not saying Oscar would will win the next fight with Floyd but if he has a great startegy and stays with the jab all night. He could pull out the U.D. and by the way his defense really looked good after a few rounds.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Yeah and for a fixed fight he got hit alot...LOL. But really, Floyd would carve him up pretty good, but neither fighter can or would hurt the other.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
There's a good chance Floyd will hurt Oscar IMO. I don't think he'd hurt him enough to even come near stopping him, but he'll hurt him.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
I think they have equal chins but oscar getting tired will be his downfall against floyd again and I think floyd will take advantage and try to stop him this time.

1 - 20 of 280 Posts