Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, well from Thursday-Saturday I was at the International Boxing Hall Of Fame Induction Weekend, and I had a blast. I got 30 autographs and saw a good 7-8 more celebrities. I got greats such as Carmen Basilio, Alexis Arguello, Aaron Pyor, Angelo Dundee, Jose Torres, Lou Duva, Christy Martin, Leon Spinks (not a great, but still...), Michael Carbajal Ruben Olivares, Frank Cappucino, and Carlos Ortiz just to name a few. I also got Bert Sugar who was a very funny guy. I almost got Emile Griffith and Gene Fullmer, but their family said no, even though both men were reaching out for the pen and book. I enjoyed hearing lectures and Q & A with guys like Ernie Terrell, Michael Carbajal, Gerry Cooney, Ron Lyle, and Marlon Starling.

I watched workout sessions with Hector "Macho" Camacho, Nate Campbell, Chazz Witherspoon, Steve Cunningham, Christy Martin, and an up and comming Austrailian fighter who's name I forgot already. Greats like Camacho and Whitaker looked me dead in the eye and blew me off, even though I was very polite about the signatures, but didn't suck up either which what they were looking for. Both of those two only signed for women (white) and were both complete jerks. Ed "Too Tall" Jones was also very stuck up, especially for only having a whopping 6 fights.

Carmen Basilio smacked a guy right in the face in front of me, then turned and signed my autograph book. I was still cracking up at that as he signed. Gerry Cooney was a very funny and nice guy aswell. A lot of the champs didn't stick around for long because they were having fun just hanging out with eachother for the first time in years at the bar. I didn't mind that much that Larry was there in the period I was because I will see him later in the week anyway.

A theif was amongst our ranks aswell. A book signed by people like Muhammad Ali and Ken Norton was stolen, then as great ref Frank Cappucino (who I also got and who was a very nice guy) announced his retirement as a ref was giving his speach and goodbye to being the 3rd man in the ring, someone stole his bag which was on a chair by the stage. His bag had his wallet and some very special boxing things to him. Whoever that low life is, he could get hit by a train for all I care. He ruined poor old Frank's good time.

All in all it was very fun and I am glad I went. It was a great time.

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
Hope ya had a good time. Definitely sounds like you did :laugh: :thumbsup: :D

·
Boxings Own Living Legend
8,579 Posts
Ok, well from Thursday-Saturday I was at the International Boxing Hall Of Fame Induction Weekend, and I had a blast. I got 30 autographs and saw a good 7-8 more celebrities. I got greats such as Carmen Basilio, Alexis Arguello, Aaron Pyor, Angelo Dundee, Jose Torres, Lou Duva, Christy Martin, Leon Spinks (not a great, but still...), Michael Carbajal Ruben Olivares, Frank Cappucino, and Carlos Ortiz just to name a few. I also got Bert Sugar who was a very funny guy. I almost got Emile Griffith and Gene Fullmer, but their family said no, even though both men were reaching out for the pen and book. I enjoyed hearing lectures and Q & A with guys like Ernie Terrell, Michael Carbajal, Gerry Cooney, Ron Lyle, and Marlon Starling.

I watched workout sessions with Hector "Macho" Camacho, Nate Campbell, Chazz Witherspoon, Steve Cunningham, Christy Martin, and an up and comming Austrailian fighter who's name I forgot already. Greats like Camacho and Whitaker looked me dead in the eye and blew me off, even though I was very polite about the signatures, but didn't suck up either which what they were looking for. Both of those two only signed for women (white) and were both complete jerks. Ed "Too Tall" Jones was also very stuck up, especially for only having a whopping 6 fights.

Carmen Basilio smacked a guy right in the face in front of me, then turned and signed my autograph book. I was still cracking up at that as he signed. Gerry Cooney was a very funny and nice guy aswell. A lot of the champs didn't stick around for long because they were having fun just hanging out with eachother for the first time in years at the bar. I didn't mind that much that Larry was there in the period I was because I will see him later in the week anyway.

A theif was amongst our ranks aswell. A book signed by people like Muhammad Ali and Ken Norton was stolen, then as great ref Frank Cappucino (who I also got and who was a very nice guy) announced his retirement as a ref was giving his speach and goodbye to being the 3rd man in the ring, someone stole his bag which was on a chair by the stage. His bag had his wallet and some very special boxing things to him. Whoever that low life is, he could get hit by a train for all I care. He ruined poor old Frank's good time.

All in all it was very fun and I am glad I went. It was a great time.
Glad you had a great time Bill. Did ya happen to meet up with Dave Murphy, Tony Zaino and the other guys ?Great guys from another boxing forum. Give my congratulations & best wishes to Larry when you see him Bill It was a well deserved accolade

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Glad you had a great time Bill. Did ya happen to meet up with Dave Murphy, Tony Zaino and the other guys ?Great guys from another boxing forum. Give my congratulations & best wishes to Larry when you see him Bill It was a well deserved accolade
I saw guys like Erik and all, I didn't say anything though, I was mainly looking for the different people so I could catch them before the crowd got to them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts