Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Iron Lungs
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By Dan Rafael
ESPN.com

When unified lightweight titleholder Nate Campbell's Sept. 13 defense against Joan Guzman was canceled hours before because an overweight Guzman refused to go through with it -- even as a nontitle fight -- neither fighter got paid. No bout, no paychecks.

Without the income he so badly needed, Campbell on Thursday declared Chapter 7 bankruptcy in Tampa, Fla., adviser and close friend Terry Trekas told ESPN.com.

Married in May, with six children to support, a house he was due to close on and a $110,000 tax issue with the IRS, the money from the fight would have gone a long way toward helping Campbell take care of his responsibilities.

Not only was Campbell out his $300,000 purse, the bout needed to take place in order for him to collect the remaining half of a $200,000 signing bonus in his contract with promoter Don King.

Part of the bankruptcy means that Campbell's contract with King was voided, Trekas said.

Trekas said they attempted to work out something with King to help Campbell get by, but they could not come to terms.

"Nate filed for bankruptcy and notified [Don King Productions] of his actions," Trekas said. "When that fight didn't happen, it hurt. Nate's had a tax issue he's been dealing with and this bankruptcy has been planned for over a year, but was put on hold hoping things could be worked out. But based on what happened with the Guzman fight and not getting the income, and other issues, his attorney and accountant advised him that he had to do it now.

"In the bankruptcy, Nate rejected the King contract. We'll just have to see what they want to do. Technically, Don can challenge it. It's not a winning strategy, but maybe there is something that can be worked out. That will be up to Don."

Trekas said the attorney advised Campbell, 36, that he is free to "do whatever, sign with someone else, talk to whatever promoter he wants. The King contract is dead."

King was in the Dominican Republic attending the WBA's annual convention and was unavailable for comment. King spokesman Alan Hopper had no comment.

Campbell (32-5-1, 25 KOs), with his personality, crowd-pleasing style and three of the lightweight belts, figures to be a hot commodity on the free-agent market. He won his belts via decision by upsetting Juan Diaz on March 8 in Cancun, Mexico.

Campbell's first defense was to have been against Guzman, a former junior lightweight titleholder who relinquished his 130-pound belt to move up to 135 for the shot at Campbell. However, Guzman weighed in at 138½ the day before the Showtime main event in Biloxi, Miss., rendering the bout a nontitle fight. However, the next day, just hours before the fighters were supposed to be in the ring, Guzman elected not to fight.

Trekas said the bankruptcy was legitimate, not merely as a means to get out from his promotional contract.

"Nate was like, 'This kind of sucks, but I can move on,' " Trekas said. "We're going to talk to everybody out there and see what his options are and what is available to him."

Joan Guzman is an ass hole. :)

thoughts?

·
Boxings Own Living Legend
8,579 Posts
The unfair part is that Guzman isnt even going to be penalised for his actions.
The way he let down Nate, the promoters, the fans, everyone Guzman should have been heavily fined and suspended. Instead its Nate that has to suffer

G

·
I'm going to take a different approach from everyone on this one. There are plenty of people working for minimum wage that have made much less money than Nate Campbell has made over his career. I bet if you checked what kind of car he's driving it's not a Honda.... I've also seen him sporting a lot of real nice clothes, watches and other accessories. I doubt Nate's money management was stellar.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
I'm going to take a different approach from everyone on this one. There are plenty of people working for minimum wage that have made much less money than Nate Campbell has made over his career. I bet if you checked what kind of car he's driving it's not a Honda.... I've also seen him sporting a lot of real nice clothes, watches and other accessories. I doubt Nate's money management was stellar.
To be honest, Nate isn't like what you'd imagine. He doesn't buy Bentleys and shitt, and the most jewelry I've ever seen him flossin was a ballin ass watch. He was just counting on this fight.

·
8,579 Posts
Poor guy. Times are rough for everyone. Guess you cant count on no talent dipshits to make fights.
Nate used to work for Winn Dixie I dont thing they are known as big payers. From what I've seen of Nate here and in live chat on another forum, he seemed a level headed straight up kinda guy. I cant see him spending like Mayweather ,tyson & co

·
8,579 Posts
I can agree with that.
I agree 100% but so are Mendoza and the WBA for letting Gutless Guzman get away with it unpunished

G

·
Nate is a good guy and it's not good seeing him go through these kind of troubles. But I don't blame Guzman for Nate's money management. Yeah he should have made the weight for the fight but Nate shouldn't have been relying on this fight to happen. That's a risk he took off his own batt. It is unfortunate though.

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
Joan Guzman is an ass hole. :)

thoughts?
Yeah, you don't know what you're talking about, you're judging dude off of this on one idiotic fukk up out of 28.
and all that because Guzman had way too many bigmacs.

what a shame, Nate doesnt deserve it.
I agree
I agree, bottom line is Nate did not manage his money like he was supposed to. How else can you explain someone putting themselves in the position to need their next paycheck when they've made triple digits this year alone. That's what someone making minimum wage has to do. He rolled the dice and he lost.
Guzman should have to help Nate get by until he gets a fight.
I agree, he should pay for Nate to be able to stay in his house til Campbell gets his next fight. Also for Nate to take a money managing seminar. I see this as a blessing in disguise for him, he wanted to be more active than he was being, with DK you're doomed to 2 fights a year. Now that he's free from him I see him fighting as many imes he wants.
Poor guy. Times are rough for everyone. Guess you cant count on no talent dipshits to make fights.
You can't count on anyone but yourself (you should know this), especially when you spend more than you make. Nate should know that, and if you ask him he'd probably tell you the same.
Nate is a good guy and it's not good seeing him go through these kind of troubles. But I don't blame Guzman for Nate's money management. Yeah he should have made the weight for the fight but Nate shouldn't have been relying on this fight to happen. That's a risk he took off his own batt. It is unfortunate though.
I agree with everything.
The unfair part is that Guzman isnt even going to be penalised for his actions.
The way he let down Nate, the promoters, the fans, everyone Guzman should have been heavily fined and suspended. Instead its Nate that has to suffer
Guzman should be punished. The WBA have cocked it up. However I still blame Guzman. He was the one who wouldn't fight.
He lost the biggest opportunity in his life, a couple hundred thousand dollars, and might never be able to get back to where he was at. Yet there has to be more punishment. This was his first fukking offense, get over it.

It's funny how Abraham will get a pass for waking up today "sick", a.k.a draining and drying himself to make weight and can easily reschedule the fight for a month later to give him more time, yet no one is going to be like "oh poor Marquez he had to work to make weight". Oh, the hypocrisy.

·
Iron Lungs
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah, you don't know what you're talking about, you're judging dude off of this on one idiotic fukk up out of 28.

I agree

I agree, bottom line is Nate did not manage his money like he was supposed to. How else can you explain someone putting themselves in the position to need their next paycheck when they've made triple digits this year alone. That's what someone making minimum wage has to do. He rolled the dice and he lost.

I agree, he should pay for Nate to be able to stay in his house til Campbell gets his next fight. Also for Nate to take a money managing seminar. I see this as a blessing in disguise for him, he wanted to be more active than he was being, with DK you're doomed to 2 fights a year. Now that he's free from him I see him fighting as many imes he wants.

You can't count on anyone but yourself (you should know this), especially when you spend more than you make. Nate should know that, and if you ask him he'd probably tell you the same.

I agree with everything.

He lost the biggest opportunity in his life, a couple hundred thousand dollars, and might never be able to get back to where he was at. Yet there has to be more punishment. This was his first fukking offense, get over it.

It's funny how Abraham will get a pass for waking up today "sick", a.k.a draining and drying himself to make weight and can easily reschedule the fight for a month later to give him more time, yet no one is going to be like "oh poor Marquez he had to work to make weight". Oh, the hypocrisy.

OOOoOhhh looks like someone's number 1 fan didn't like the comment :laugh:...one idiot **** up on the most important fight of his life surpasses those other 28. :D

·
Registered
168 Posts
It's just an unfortunate situation all around. Sometimes fighters fail to make weight. Sometimes people get themselves in debt. These things happen. It doesn't make me want to punish anybody, though. C'est la vie. Life is hard sometimes. I really feel for Campbell but I also feel for Guzman too. I'm sure he didn't want to miss weight for his fight.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts