Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in taking up boxing, primarily as a fitness activity but I do want to learn real skills (e.g., eventually sparring) rather than aerobic boxing. I'm quite a large guy at 5'11" and over 300 lbs and I'm looking for dedicated heavy bag gloves.

First, I'm a bit confused about the difference between "bag gloves" and "training gloves". The Ringside website describes the training gloves as being for sparring but after reading a lot of reviews on this site it sounds as if many people use the training gloves in a dual-purpose role of bag/sparring.

So far, I've limited my search for heavy bag gloves to those gloves listed on the Ringside site as "bag gloves". I've looked at other brands at other sites but prefer to order from Ringside since I've done business with them in the past and been very satisfied.

The two primary gloves I'm looking at are:

Grant Professional Super Power Bag Gloves at Ringside.com

and

IMF Tech™ Bag Gloves at Ringside.com

I'm also confused about glove weight. As a larger guy, should I choose a heavier glove? The Grants are 12 oz and the IMF's are 14 oz.

I generally buy quality when I make a purchase so I don't mind spending the larger amount if there is a considerable difference between the two gloves.

I've read the reviews of these gloves, which lead to my narrowing my selection, but I'm wondering if there are any specifics that might make one better than the other for me.

Thanks for any advice anyone can provide.

P.S. I haven't purchased a heavy bag yet but will instead be using an old Century free-standing bag until I move to a place where I can hang a real heavy bag.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Well first off, Bag gloves are used just for the bag i.e. they have harder and less padding and different padding distribution, and hurts alot more it you get hit by one. Training gloves are used for sparring and some light bag work like pads and maybe the double-end, but the more you use them on bag work the more the padding wears making them stiffer on your sparring partner. Both of those gloves are awesome. Only prob with the grants is that they only come in 12oz, and since you say you want just a fitness edge out of it you would benefit more with heavier gloves(harder on your shoulders)and especially since your a bigger guy. The IMF's are by far my favorite gloves, very durable, comfortable all around glove. The great thing about these gloves is that they are multi-purpose, the padding doesn't wear as much so you can use them on bagwork and sparring. The only downside to those is that they have an annoying secondary elastic cover that covers the primary elastic wrap, BUT after a while you get used to it. I have the 14's and I still think their a little too light, so if you do get them get atleast 16 or 18oz'ers.

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
I'm interested in taking up boxing, primarily as a fitness activity but I do want to learn real skills (e.g., eventually sparring) rather than aerobic boxing. I'm quite a large guy at 5'11" and over 300 lbs and I'm looking for dedicated heavy bag gloves.

First, I'm a bit confused about the difference between "bag gloves" and "training gloves". The Ringside website describes the training gloves as being for sparring but after reading a lot of reviews on this site it sounds as if many people use the training gloves in a dual-purpose role of bag/sparring.

So far, I've limited my search for heavy bag gloves to those gloves listed on the Ringside site as "bag gloves". I've looked at other brands at other sites but prefer to order from Ringside since I've done business with them in the past and been very satisfied.

The two primary gloves I'm looking at are:

Grant Professional Super Power Bag Gloves at Ringside.com

and

IMF Tech™ Bag Gloves at Ringside.com

I'm also confused about glove weight. As a larger guy, should I choose a heavier glove? The Grants are 12 oz and the IMF's are 14 oz.

I generally buy quality when I make a purchase so I don't mind spending the larger amount if there is a considerable difference between the two gloves.

I've read the reviews of these gloves, which lead to my narrowing my selection, but I'm wondering if there are any specifics that might make one better than the other for me.

Thanks for any advice anyone can provide.

P.S. I haven't purchased a heavy bag yet but will instead be using an old Century free-standing bag until I move to a place where I can hang a real heavy bag.
I have 2 pair of 10 ounce pro mex boxing gloves brand new, I paid 140$ but will sell for 100 let me know if interested..

·
Registered
39 Posts
NSB is spot on.

You wont be able to get the grant gloves you mentioned, they are back ordered until december. I wouldnt suggest em anyway for you because you are a super heavy weight and you will wear out 12oz gloves in like a month or two if you develop any resemblance of technique. Like NSB said go 16 or 18 oz. The IMF tech in large are 16oz I believe.

I own a pair of Title Gels, which are Titles answer to IMF tech pretty much, and they are a great glove. The bag glove is excellent and 16 oz in regular, so they will be a little heavier most likely in large. You can throw like crazy in these gloves and not worry about the hands.

If you wanna spend the extra cash, Id suggest winnings, which are probably the most protective gloves out there, but at $250 they are an expensive proposition.

The IMF techs or Title Gels will be excellent choices and both companies are great (Ringside is a tad better and higher end).

·
Registered
4 Posts
any thoughts on the Gel Wraps made by Everlast?

i was in a store a few months ago looking for new wraps...saw the gels and the sales guy said they are suppose to replace standard wraps...i was in a hurry so i didn't look a them much at the time. saw them in another store and tried them on...there is no way i would repalce standard wraps with these things as they had zero hand and wrist support....but was wondering if anyone has tried them over regular wraps to replace traditional gloves for bag work.

i just work out in my basement every other day with a 100# bag...want to add a double end and speed bag sometime soon...5'-11 185# 43 years old if that means anything....thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts