Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
749 Posts
RoccoMarciano said:
Is never allowing yourself to be beaten the most important trait to possess as a boxer regarding History's placement?
NO!

It's important BUT it's not the only thing. It's who you beat that is much more important then that.

I can name a lot of boxers that retired undefeated and very few if any of them would be rated on top of their division.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
25,672 Posts
hhascup said:
NO!

It's important BUT it's not the only thing. It's who you beat that is much more important then that.

I can name a lot of boxers that retired undefeated and very few if any of them would be rated on top of their division.
german former supermiddleweight champion sven ottke springs to mind, he retired back in 2004 as champion with 22 defences with around 34 wins, no defeats and no draws. (34-0-0).

in reality though ottke isnt rated in the top 5 168 guys ever.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,210 Posts
Sven Otke shouldave lost about 4 fights but almost all of his fights were in Germany and his opponents constantly got robbedþ
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
25,672 Posts
Brutus said:
Sven Otke shouldave lost about 4 fights but almost all of his fights were in Germany and his opponents constantly got robbedþ
it says 0 next to the loss colum though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
749 Posts
Here's some of the more well known boxers that retired undefeated:

Rocky Marciano - World Heavyweight Champion - 49 (43) - 0 (0) - 0
Samson Dutch Boy Gym - WBF Super Flyweight Champion - 43 (36) - 0 (0) – 0
Jimmy Barry - World Paperweight Champion (110lbs) - 58 (38) - 0 (0) - 10
Jemal Hinton - WBC Continental Americas Super Bantamweight Campion - 22 (17) - 0 (0) – 0
Sven Ottke - WBA & IBF Super Middleweight Champion - 34 (6) - 0 (0) - 0
Ji Won Kim - IBF Super Bantamweight Champion - 16 (7) - 0 (0) - 2
Michael Loewe - WBO Welterweight Champion - 28 (10) - 0 (0) - 0
Ricardo Lopez - IBF Light Flyweight Champion - 51 (38) - 0 (0) - 1
Terry Marsh - IBF Light Welterweight Champion - 26 (10) - 0 (0) - 1
Ike Ibeabuchi - WBC International Heavyweight Champion - 20 (15) - 0 (0) - 0
Pichit Sitbangprachan IBF Flyweight Champion 24 (18) - 0 (0) – 0
Mzukisi Skweyiya - South African Non-White Bantamweight Champion - 21 (7) - 0 (0) – 1
Jack McAuliffe - World Lightweight Champion - 34 (23) - 0 (0) – 5
Edson Pedro Nascimento - UBC Ibero-American Lightweight Champion - 47 (40) - 0 (0) - 1
Horace Notice - Commonwealth (BE) Heavyweight Belt-holder - 16 (12) - 0 (0) - 0
Sven Ottke - WBA & IBF Super Middleweight Champion - 34 (6) - 0 (0) - 0
Laszlo Papp - EBU (European) Middleweight Champion - 27 (15) - 0 (0) - 2
Kirk Daley - (1988-1994) Former Jr. Middleweight Contender - 19 (18) - 0 (0) - 0
Scott Daley - (1986-1998) Former Middleweight Contender - 24 (24) - 0 (0) - 0
George Kandelaki - (1998-2003) Former Heavyweight Contender - 24 (18) - 0 (0) - 0
Rickey Womack (defeated Holyfield 3 times in the amateur) 13-0-1
Vinny Letizia - (1990-1993) Former Welterweight Contender 16 (14) - 0 (0) - 1

I have done a research and I found approx. 1,300 boxers that won at least 5 bouts, that have retired undefeated.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
25,672 Posts
hhascup said:
Here's some of the more well known boxers that retired undefeated:

Rocky Marciano - World Heavyweight Champion - 49 (43) - 0 (0) - 0
Samson Dutch Boy Gym - WBF Super Flyweight Champion - 43 (36) - 0 (0) – 0
Jimmy Barry - World Paperweight Champion (110lbs) - 58 (38) - 0 (0) - 10
Jemal Hinton - WBC Continental Americas Super Bantamweight Campion - 22 (17) - 0 (0) – 0
Sven Ottke - WBA & IBF Super Middleweight Champion - 34 (6) - 0 (0) - 0
Ji Won Kim - IBF Super Bantamweight Champion - 16 (7) - 0 (0) - 2
Michael Loewe - WBO Welterweight Champion - 28 (10) - 0 (0) - 0
Ricardo Lopez - IBF Light Flyweight Champion - 51 (38) - 0 (0) - 1
Terry Marsh - IBF Light Welterweight Champion - 26 (10) - 0 (0) - 1
Ike Ibeabuchi - WBC International Heavyweight Champion - 20 (15) - 0 (0) - 0
Pichit Sitbangprachan IBF Flyweight Champion 24 (18) - 0 (0) – 0
Mzukisi Skweyiya - South African Non-White Bantamweight Champion - 21 (7) - 0 (0) – 1
Jack McAuliffe - World Lightweight Champion - 34 (23) - 0 (0) – 5
Edson Pedro Nascimento - UBC Ibero-American Lightweight Champion - 47 (40) - 0 (0) - 1
Horace Notice - Commonwealth (BE) Heavyweight Belt-holder - 16 (12) - 0 (0) - 0
Sven Ottke - WBA & IBF Super Middleweight Champion - 34 (6) - 0 (0) - 0
Laszlo Papp - EBU (European) Middleweight Champion - 27 (15) - 0 (0) - 2
Kirk Daley - (1988-1994) Former Jr. Middleweight Contender - 19 (18) - 0 (0) - 0
Scott Daley - (1986-1998) Former Middleweight Contender - 24 (24) - 0 (0) - 0
George Kandelaki - (1998-2003) Former Heavyweight Contender - 24 (18) - 0 (0) - 0
Rickey Womack (defeated Holyfield 3 times in the amateur) 13-0-1
Vinny Letizia - (1990-1993) Former Welterweight Contender 16 (14) - 0 (0) - 1

I have done a research and I found approx. 1,300 boxers that won at least 5 bouts, that have retired undefeated.
excellant work again henry, i wouldn't class any of those guys as the best in there division.

marciano, ottke, lopez could be argued in the top 5-10 in there weight classes IMO.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
749 Posts
TommyGunn said:
excellant work again henry, i wouldn't class any of those guys as the best in there division.

marciano, ottke, lopez could be argued in the top 5-10 in there weight classes IMO.
Like I said, I have researched this and found a lot more. In fact if you count all the boxers that had at least 5 wins, I came up with approx. 1,300 boxers that were undefeated.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
25,672 Posts
hhascup said:
Like I said, I have researched this and found a lot more. In fact if you count all the boxers that had at least 5 wins, I came up with approx. 1,300 boxers that were undefeated.
hey henry, do you know the names of all the guys with perfect records?

no draws or no contests?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
749 Posts
TommyGunn said:
hey henry, do you know the names of all the guys with perfect records?

no draws or no contests?
Yes I do, BUT it's too many put here. I am going to have in published in a few weeks.

Here's a couple more:

Agustin Senin – (1967-1972) Spanish & EBU (European) Bantamweight Champion - 42 (21) - 0 (0) – 1

Gurcharan Singh (2001-2004) Former Cruiserweight 17 (10) - 0 (0) - 0

Jimmy Wilde (Moisés Ortenberg) - (1935-1943) Argentina - 37 (15) - 0 (0) - 5
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hhascup said:
Yes I do, BUT it's too many put here. I am going to have in published in a few weeks.

Here's a couple more:

Agustin Senin – (1967-1972) Spanish & EBU (European) Bantamweight Champion - 42 (21) - 0 (0) – 1

Gurcharan Singh (2001-2004) Former Cruiserweight 17 (10) - 0 (0) - 0

Jimmy Wilde (Moisés Ortenberg) - (1935-1943) Argentina - 37 (15) - 0 (0) - 5
Let's bump the numbers up a bit... oh let's say 49-0-0, and only including the HW division.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
749 Posts
RoccoMarciano said:
Glad you know.. comparing him to fighters that only fought 5 times or so is silly!

There many that retired undefeated and had a lot more then 5 wins (not bouts).

Once again, It's not your record that you go by, It's who you fought that is more important.

Here's some current Heavyweights that are undefeated.

Faruq Saleem is 36 (32) - 0 (0) - 0
Joe Mesi is 35 (28) - 0 (0) - 0
Malik Scott is 29 (10) - 0 (0) - 0
JD Chapman is 27 (24) - 0 (0) - 0
Donnell Holmes is 27 (24) - 0 (0) - 2
David Rodriguez is 26 (25) - 0 (0) - 0
Alonzo Butler is 26 (19) - 0 (0) - 1
Travis Walker is 25 (19) - 0 (0) - 1
Chazz Witherspoon is 19 (13) - 0 (0) - 0
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hhascup said:
There many that retired undefeated and had a lot more then 5 wins (not bouts).

Once again, It's not your record that you go by, It's who you fought that is more important.

Here's some current Heavyweights that are undefeated.

Faruq Saleem is 36 (32) - 0 (0) - 0
Joe Mesi is 35 (28) - 0 (0) - 0
Malik Scott is 29 (10) - 0 (0) - 0
JD Chapman is 27 (24) - 0 (0) - 0
Donnell Holmes is 27 (24) - 0 (0) - 2
David Rodriguez is 26 (25) - 0 (0) - 0
Alonzo Butler is 26 (19) - 0 (0) - 1
Travis Walker is 25 (19) - 0 (0) - 1
Chazz Witherspoon is 19 (13) - 0 (0) - 0
Those current guys will likely have as much success as Valuev, if you catch my drift. The closest has what.... 13 to go......
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,662 Posts
TommyGunn said:
german former supermiddleweight champion sven ottke springs to mind, he retired back in 2004 as champion with 22 defences with around 34 wins, no defeats and no draws. (34-0-0).

in reality though ottke isnt rated in the top 5 168 guys ever.

What do you expect? He only fought in Germany, neutral ground, or in the US, he has about 5 losses on his record. Germany and Denmark and Russia seem to produce a lot of questionable decisions. Thats the one thing that I don't like about most European fighters, they rarely fight out side of their home country.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
749 Posts
Jimmy Barry - World Paperweight Champion (110lbs) - 58 (38) - 0 (0) - 10
Ricardo Lopez - IBF Light Flyweight Champion - 51 (38) - 0 (0) - 1
Rocky Marciano - World Heavyweight Champion - 49 (43) - 0 (0) - 0
Edson Pedro Nascimento - UBC Ibero-American Lightweight Champion - 47 (40) - 0 (0) - 1
Samson Dutch Boy Gym - WBF Super Flyweight Champion - 43 (36) - 0 (0) – 0
Agustin Senin – (1967-1972) Spanish & EBU (European) Bantamweight Champion - 42 (21) - 0 (0) – 1
Jimmy Wilde (Moisés Ortenberg) - (1935-1943) Argentina - 37 (15) - 0 (0) - 5
Young Mitchell – American Featherweight, Australian Lightweight, PC Welterweight, and PC Middleweight Claimant - 35-0-6 (BoxRec only has 5-0-4)
Sven Ottke - WBA & IBF Super Middleweight Champion - 34 (6) - 0 (0) - 0
Jack McAuliffe - World Lightweight Champion - 34 (23) - 0 (0) – 5
Bobby Campbell - Lightweight - (1935-1940) 30 (3) - 0 (0) - 3

Also, still active:

Paul Spadafora (1995-2007) The Pittsburgh Kid Welterweight 40 (16) - 0 (0) - 1
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
hhascup said:
Jimmy Barry - World Paperweight Champion (110lbs) - 58 (38) - 0 (0) - 10
Ricardo Lopez - IBF Light Flyweight Champion - 51 (38) - 0 (0) - 1
Rocky Marciano - World Heavyweight Champion - 49 (43) - 0 (0) - 0
Edson Pedro Nascimento - UBC Ibero-American Lightweight Champion - 47 (40) - 0 (0) - 1
Samson Dutch Boy Gym - WBF Super Flyweight Champion - 43 (36) - 0 (0) – 0
Agustin Senin – (1967-1972) Spanish & EBU (European) Bantamweight Champion - 42 (21) - 0 (0) – 1
Jimmy Wilde (Moisés Ortenberg) - (1935-1943) Argentina - 37 (15) - 0 (0) - 5
Young Mitchell – American Featherweight, Australian Lightweight, PC Welterweight, and PC Middleweight Claimant - 35-0-6 (BoxRec only has 5-0-4)
Sven Ottke - WBA & IBF Super Middleweight Champion - 34 (6) - 0 (0) - 0
Jack McAuliffe - World Lightweight Champion - 34 (23) - 0 (0) – 5
Bobby Campbell - Lightweight - (1935-1940) 30 (3) - 0 (0) - 3

Also, still active:

Paul Spadafora (1995-2007) The Pittsburgh Kid Welterweight 40 (16) - 0 (0) - 1
Any 49-0-0? Except for one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,210 Posts
hhascup said:
If he kept boxing he wouldn't be undefeated either.

Julio Cesar Chavez was 87-0-0 when he fought Pernell Whitaker to a draw.
i still dont know what the judges were thinking, i had Pernell winning that fight easy, imo one of the worst robberys ever.
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top