Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just started boxing and have been training myself. What is a good training routine for me if i have 10 oz gloves, and 16 oz gloves, a heavy bag, a speed bag, jump rope, and 3 and 5 lb weights for shadowboxing. any kind of weekly workout ideas you have that would get me in shape to box would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
212 Posts
it would be better if you went to an actual boxing gym because they can show you how to do everything right. But i guess you can try it at home. Do 15 minutes on the jump rope to warm up, 15 minutes on the speed bag. 15 minutes on the heavy bag, then you should do a few rounds of punching with a resistance band but you have to buy that one. Then a few rounds of shadow boxing with the 3 pound weights. Then do 15 pushups to finish it off. Try to do all that 2 times in a row. I would give more info but you dont have that much equipment. Also you should run atleast twice a week to help build stamina and get you in shape.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well heres what i usually do, what do you think-
3/2 min rds of jump rope
8/3 min rds on heavy bag with 16 oz gloves/10/2 min rds with 10 oz gloves
5/2 min rds speed bag
2x20 pushups
assorted abs
shadowboxing with 3 or 5 lb weights doing 50 consecutive punches of the same punch then switching

is there anything different I should do?

·
Registered
212 Posts
looks pretty good, but i wouldent use 5 pound weights for shadow boxing. And also just do regular mixed punches like you would do in a fight, not one punch and then the other. How long have you been training and are you just doing this for fun or you want to compete?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I started exactly 3 weeks ago and I am very interested in competing I plan on joining my colleges amateur boxing team actually. Any advice? Will what I'm doing get me in shape for that?

·
Registered
841 Posts
Sparring and mitt work are essential. Get one of your buds to spar and work you with the mitts atleast once or twice a week, then you'll have a better chance when it comes time to join the team.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i have punch mitts but i never understood them. what does my buddy do? let me punch them then try to hit me with them?

·
Registered
212 Posts
i have punch mitts but i never understood them. what does my buddy do? let me punch them then try to hit me with them?
he has to call punches and you throw them. for example a 1 is a jab, a 2 is a straight right, a 3 is a left hook. Stuff like that. So something to begin with is like 1 1 2, or 1 2 3. and then when you get better you can start doing some more advanced combos. but i doubt ur friend is gonna do that every week

·
Registered
841 Posts
You have alot to learn:). That would be hard to explain, but your buddy does kinda have to know what he's doing, easy to learn the basics though, and you do have the right idea. The best way for me to show you is to get vids of youtube, which I'll do.

Had to put this vid.
YouTube - 419 Amazing Kid Pretty Boy Bam Bam

and there's plenty more to give you the right idea.

Good luck.

·
Registered
212 Posts
and by the way, since ur new you might be punching wrong, pretty much all beginners do. What I mean is, you might be flexing ur body when you punch because you think its gonna make ur punches more powerful. Thats actually the opposite of what it does, it decreases punching speed, power, and it just makes you tired faster. So when ur punching, keep ur arms completely loose, just toss em around and never flex.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thank you! I do have a tendency to flex at the end of my follow through. My track coach was a great boxer and he taught me the basics then let me loose. Any other tips?

·
Registered
841 Posts
and by the way, since ur new you might be punching wrong, pretty much all beginners do. What I mean is, you might be flexing ur body when you punch because you think its gonna make ur punches more powerful. Thats actually the opposite of what it does, it decreases punching speed, power, and it just makes you tired faster. So when ur punching, keep ur arms completely loose, just toss em around and never flex.
Good post :thumbsup:

·
Registered
212 Posts
thank you! I do have a tendency to flex at the end of my follow through. My track coach was a great boxer and he taught me the basics then let me loose. Any other tips?
no problem. Not really, you seem to be on the right track. Just take ur time with the training, because ur not gonna become a boxer overnight.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
how many days a week should i do this? i have been doing 7 days with no problem and if i should take days off how should i seperate them?

·
Registered
212 Posts
how many days a week should i do this? i have been doing 7 days with no problem and if i should take days off how should i seperate them?
i wouldent do the same thing everyday, try this

monday - boxing
tuesday - boxing
wednesday - running
thursday - boxing
friday - body weight exercises ( push ups, pulls ups, etc. )
saterday - boxing
sunday - running

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
alright thanks! just got done with my workout looked like this-
6/1 min rds jump rope
4/3 min rds heavy bag emphasis on technique
4/30 second non stop punch outs
1/3 min rd heavy bag balanced bag work
4/1 min rds heavy bag emphasis on punching with power
6/1 min rds speed bag
20 pushups
punch mitts

in that order with 1 min rest between each. I tried the mitts like you guys said and i REALLY like that thank you very much! hows this workout look? Missing anything?

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Either your stamina is really good to be doing 4 3 minute rounds of bag or you're just going too slow. Try to speed it up a little on the heavy bag and hit it has hard as you can. Work on your speed and power on the heavy bag. If you aren't feeling the workout then you're not working hard enough. Do not do 1 minute rounds of jump rope do 2-3 rounds of 3 minute jump rope it works on your foot work. Work your way up from the 30 second non stop punching. I do 3 minutes sometimes but then i'm just out of it lol try 3 minute 1 round non stop punching. You're doing too much rounds of bag. You should be putting all of that work in just one round on the heavy bag i suggest 4 rounds of bag cause from what it looks like you have good stamina. I don't suggest 1 minute rounds at all. Do 2-3 rounds of 3 minute speed bag.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanks, i dont know about my stamina, i mean i do 3/2 min rds of jump rope and it kills me, for some reason i have great stamina on the bag but that and speedbag are it. whats that mean?

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
That means you're doing more work jumping rope than on the heavy bag =P speed bag is to cool you down after the bag work. Speed bag you wont feel any cardio burn you should just feel your arms burning from keeping it up there for a while heavy bag you should be doing a lot more you're not doing enough if jump rope kills you and heavy bag does. Heavy bag always kills me and then once i'm done i'm like yay jump rope.

·
Registered
212 Posts
yeah looks like ur concentrating too much on the heavy bag. You dont really need that many rounds, all together do like 5 3 minute rounds on the bag, thats enough for one day. You might be using the jump rope wrong if ur getting that tired. Your supposed to jump on ur toes the whole time, ur heels shouldent touch the ground. And you should get some boxing shoes, those make a big difference with the jump rope. And remember to do some shadow boxing with the 3 pound weights

1 - 20 of 76 Posts