Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
ya, i wear carmelo jordans that are very heavy. how much are boxing shoes, i should get a pair? where could i get a cheap pair?

·
Registered
212 Posts
ya, i wear carmelo jordans that are very heavy. how much are boxing shoes, i should get a pair? where could i get a cheap pair?

boxing shoes are usually pretty afforable. I got mine for 50 dollars at Sport Chalet. Its called Asics Matflex, i like them a lot.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
haha well i went onto title boxing and got the title lo-tops on sale for 29.99 i figured id get something cheap to start. Are those ok?

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
yeah looks like ur concentrating too much on the heavy bag. You dont really need that many rounds, all together do like 5 3 minute rounds on the bag, thats enough for one day. You might be using the jump rope wrong if ur getting that tired. Your supposed to jump on ur toes the whole time, ur heels shouldent touch the ground. And you should get some boxing shoes, those make a big difference with the jump rope. And remember to do some shadow boxing with the 3 pound weights
Jump rope is cardio also so you should be feeling it when you're jumping rope. If not then you aren't jumping fast enough.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Can't take the cardio. Jumping rope does take some stamina out of you gotta admit. Making the rope go fast enough for you to jump once and have it past you twice and criss crossing the rope it gets tiring.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
ya it is hard and with the bag i just have so much more muscular stamina then i would with lower boddy things like when i jump rope like my legs get tired before i physically tire. like i bench 365 lbs and squat only 375. i am very top heavy.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Gotta work your way up on footwork thats all. You're not used to bouncing on your toes. It has to do with your calves not your thighs. You'll get it don't worry. Work better on the bag. Watch some videos of REAL trainers on youtube teaching you how to hit the heavy bag and you'll understand it. Then all you'll need to do is speed up the pace.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
thank you ill look it up. now lets say you were my trainer haha now with the equipment i have(3 and 5 lb weights, punch mitts, speed bag, heavy bag, etc) what routine would you have me do?

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Oh boy this is gonna be so time consuming lol =P

Okay well i'm gonna give you MY regiment for training.

First i jog and sprint at the end. Next i do my stretches. Leg stretches first then arm stretches along with push ups. Then i wrap my hands to get ready to box basically. I shadow box with no gloves for one 3 minute round with a minute rest to gather my stuff and put on my gloves. Gotta do it quick though. Then when my gloves are on i shadow box a second time 1 3 minute round. Once thats over i come out and do pads for a couple of rounds depends what my trainer wants me to do. He teaches us new combinations each time on the pads. Sometimes i'll spar right after that or i'll go straight to heavy bag. There i'll do about 4 3 minute rounds fast paced. Then after that i'll sometimes do 1 3 minute round of the cobra bag or the mexican double end up OR both. Then i'll do some speed bag. 2 three minutes of those and 2 3 minutes of jump rope. Then right to ab workouts. I usually do a set of ab workouts. Normally 3 but thats a different topic of how i do it. Thats basically my workout.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
well just finished the workout! the 4/3 min rds on heavy bag were very good, i turned the intensity up, threw way more combos, def was breathing heavier. the order was also great, doing speedbag after heavy work was great also, felt a great burn. the 3 min jump roping was great! still very hard, but i am definitely getting it, and getting stronger down low. Now should i do that every day or should i be mixing it up? also for the heavy bag work i used 16 oz gloves, should i use my 10 oz ones at all?

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Use the 16 oz gloves because its heavier and you'll hurt your hand on the heavy bag with less padding. Mix it up a little if you'd like. Do jump rope first and the next time and don't do jogging or shadow box longer. Take more rounds on the bag and so on. You could also mix the ab workout up you should know.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
alright thanks! sorry i am asking so maany questions, you guys are just so helpful. Also, as a heavyweight, would i have much of a height advantage being 6'3'' and extremely long arms?

21 - 40 of 76 Posts