Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am real new to boxing, I only get to go to practice once a week (its 2 days a week). I need help, really, cause I am 5"4-5"6 and am 194 (yes I got fat, but you'd be suprised how many people think I weigh 175). I am nervous, cause I seen a tournament yesterday, and the kids in my class looked like they weighed 140 pounds, and had muscles up the wazoo. I don't eat vegetables/fruits, I eat a lot of meat, I do little workout, basically I just need advice and a lot of it. Please Help.

btw: I have at my house: Speed Bag (can't hit it right though), 80-100 pound Punchin Bag, 120 pounds of weights for a barbell, 14 pounds for each dumbell, I am getting a beaded jump rope cause its the kind we use at practice, I also got a treadmill, but its real slow and breaks easy, so count that out, I got a bike.

Sorry if this is stupid to you, but really need help.

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
My advice:
1. Get a more balanced diet to lose a few pounds.
2. You need to workout more.
3. Do running and stay active.
4. For the speed bag, keep practicing.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
go for 7 kilometre runs daily and hit the speed/punching bags for 20mins each, do 100 sit-ups and 100 push-ups and 20 upside down situps(leg ups), do this and it doesn't matter what you eat:thumbsup:, also Sugar Shane Mosley said punching combinations with 6kg weights for 12x3minute rounds equals great hand speed and reflexes

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
whoa whoa... 100 push ups? What for? Thats something thats unnecessary. He shouldn't be worrying about the amount of what he does he just needs to make sure he feels the burn and knows he's working hard. Speed bag for 20 minutes? His arms will fall off lol. Speed bag for a round and then go up the ladder aswell as the punching bag. 20 minutes on the punching bag is a lot for someone whos beginning In total thats 5 rounds if you add the minute rest in between and i remember first beginning i'd be exhausted after 3. By the way..It's the hardest thing in the world to keep 13 pound weights in your hand for 12 rounds let alone punch with that much weight.

·
Registered
841 Posts
go for 7 kilometre runs daily and hit the speed/punching bags for 20mins each, do 100 sit-ups and 100 push-ups and 20 upside down situps(leg ups), do this and it doesn't matter what you eat:thumbsup:, also Sugar Shane Mosley said punching combinations with 6kg weights for 12x3minute rounds equals great hand speed and reflexes
I'd have to see it to believe it. That's some heavy weight to be shadowboxing for 12x3 minute rds. That probably would be damaging to your shoulders, much less, impossible. Don't think you should go over 1.5-2kg when your shadow boxing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am buying a 4$ beaded olympic jump rope, I lovei t, its so awesome to use. I am gonna try to do a lot of them since they are good for endurance.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just watch your knees doing a lot of jumping rope, especially if you're carrying excess weight. Try to jump on dirt or on a rubber mat, not on concrete.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts