Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
McCloskey collects British title

Paul McCloskey collected the British light welterweight title
Dungiven southpaw Paul McCloskey won the British light-welterweight title by beating Colin Lynes in Dagenham, Essex on Friday.

Lynes retired at the end of the ninth round to give McCloskey victory after taking the fight at one week's notice.

It was McCloskey's 18th straight win of his professional career, giving him a 100% record to date.

The 29-year-old had been in training for an eight-rounder on the undercard, and was well prepared for the fight.

McCloskey was handed his chance after the withdrawal of David Barnes who was stripped of his title.

Lynes, a former British and European champion, had claimed 31 victories from 35 fights, prior to Friday's defeat at Goresbrook Leisure Centre.

BBC SPORT | Boxing | McCloskey collects British title

It was a good fight I enjoyed it I kept expecting Lynes to come back and snatch it but as the rounds wore on he kept taking more punches and would have been stopped before it went the distance.
McCloskey was especially impressive having taking the fight at a weeks notice.

Also on the undercard, Michael Hunter is back :D he looked a bit overwhelmed by his French opponent (who's name escapes me :() during the last couple of rounds of their 10 rounder but overall he did well. The featherweight has shaken the ring rust off nicely.

If people are interested I'll make more threads like this :thumbsup:

1 - 1 of 1 Posts