Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Just started looking for a boxing forum, and this one popped up first so here I am.

I want to start boxing, and want to get into it a little more. Not looking to compete or anything, just to know it.

I just got a job as a bouncer and this would def. be to my advantage.

Anyone have any links or vids that would get me started? I do workout every other day and do cardio whenever I can. Just want to know more then average Joe that I encounter at the club.

Thanks for all the help,
Koot

PS. Who knows maybe itll suck me in and will want to compete one day.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Welcome to boxingforum Koot.

This is a pretty broad question.

-You need equipment or a boxing gym.
-It would be in your best interest to get a trainer.
-Best vids I know of are Freddy Roach videos at Title Boxing Equipment: Punching bags, boxing gloves, boxing gear & boxing supplies at discount prices.
-Don't go and try to learn off youtube by watching all those jackasses attempting to box:thumbsup:
-Start getting more cardio in, change your ratio of exercise(cardio-weights should be 3:1)
-Start stretching, building your shoulders, back, core, and forearms.
-If you really want to get to the point where you can really box, you have to put your 'all' into it, its very time consuming and a very tough sport, be prepared mentally and physically:thumbsup:
-If you plan on competing someday, make sure you learn correctly the first time around.
-Start jumping rope a lot, get your legs ready.

Ask me more specifics and I'll give you more answers, sorry for the vague response.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply,
not vague at all, it was my question that left it way too open

ok so I havent looked around too much lately, way too busy with work.

let me change my question and say that I DO want to start boxing. Where do I begin. I do some cardio but def more weights. From what i understand and what you told me I would have to switch the cardio days with weights (mon, wed, fri- Cardio; tue, thr- Weights) right??

Where would i begin with the training. my gym doesnt have a place set up for boxing (no bags, NOTHING) just some machines and dumbells.

So something to start me off with would be a workout routine. What to do how many reps/sets. once again sorry for the dumb question, but really no time to research it all at once. but i will get better at it (promise)

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
More like Monday Tuesday Cardio Wednesday Weights Thursday Friday Cardio Saturday Weights Sunday rest would be better. You shouldn't look for any boxing training equipment to train with in a weight lifting gym. Go out and look for a gym in your neighborhood and try to find a trainer if you can it'll cost extra but its worth it trust me it's better than not having a trainer and teaching yourself without knowing what you're doing wrong. When lifting weights do high reps 4 sets and low weights.

·
Registered
35 Posts
You need to find a gym first and foremost. No dvd or video is a good substitute for one on one coaching. If you are serious about learning skills of boxing(stand-up)fighting. Then you will find time,I have trained a few bouncers out here in Colorado. I charge little or nothing as long as they pay their gym fee. Sparring and mitt work-outs are your best opportunity to learn offense and defense. Best wishes on your endeavorer

·
Registered
841 Posts
You need to find a gym first and foremost. No dvd or video is a good substitute for one on one coaching. If you are serious about learning skills of boxing(stand-up)fighting. Then you will find time,I have trained a few bouncers out here in Colorado. I charge little or nothing as long as they pay their gym fee. Sparring and mitt work-outs are your best opportunity to learn offense and defense. Best wishes on your endeavorer
Where do you live in CO?

·
Registered
841 Posts
Wish you guys were in Ft. Collins, everything is straight mmgay here:thumbsdown:, haven't found a gym since I moved up 2 yrs ago, still have a gym to go to when I go home though, but thats only about 3 months out of the year.

·
Registered
35 Posts
There is a gym in Fort Lupton , I also know the coach up there and his gym, is call Ghost town gladiator. Let check out some of the other coaches and see if there is one closer to you. I'm not too hard on MMA it does teaches you to use all of your tools but that's all.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
can u guys give me a routine for cardio days??

is it running, bike, jump rope, other...?

what should i be doing?

·
Registered
841 Posts
can u guys give me a routine for cardio days??

is it running, bike, jump rope, other...?

what should i be doing?
Run a few miles, bike, jump rope, swim, sprints, bleachers, polymetrics, etc. just make sure your doing enough:thumbsup:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Run a few miles, bike, jump rope, swim, sprints, bleachers, polymetrics, etc. just make sure your doing enough:thumbsup:
damnn, i have to be honest here. i did not expect that answer

how long should it all take me? 1.5-2hours?? bleachers will be tough and so will be swimming, not available at the moment.

can you guys give me an example of what you do and how long? just so i know how to start out the right way.

one more thing, i glanced through the forum and didnt see any local sections. is anyone from Chicago or the north/west suburbs here?

·
Registered
841 Posts
damnn, i have to be honest here. i did not expect that answer

how long should it all take me? 1.5-2hours?? bleachers will be tough and so will be swimming, not available at the moment.

can you guys give me an example of what you do and how long? just so i know how to start out the right way.

one more thing, i glanced through the forum and didnt see any local sections. is anyone from Chicago or the north/west suburbs here?
Lol I didn't mean you had to do all of that at once, just giving you ideas. I myself stick cardio in along with my main wo's(2-a-days). For example I'll box or lift for 2-3 hrs in the mornings when I get back from class(do JR after main wo's), then go back to class, get off in the evening, go do cardio for an hour or two.
I go do 'track workouts' MWF(3 mile run, 4 quarters, 2 100's, 20-40 bleachers, and some polymetrics), then T,TH, I go on 3 mile runs on the road, then Sat., and a lot of times Sun. I run on the tread for a while and do the stationary bike. I rarely swim, but it is very beneficial. Just mix it up and do the amount of cardio you think you need:thumbsup:.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Here is how would advise you. Run no more than three miles unless you are training for a 10k. I would run interval running(jog for about 3min than sprint for 1min/jog then sprint)This gets your body used to the type of demand that takes place in the ring.
Jump rope for no less than 15min(about 5rds)everyday.
100 push ups(10x10)or(4x25)leg lifts(1set flutter kicks/1scisrror/up down 10 count then 5sec slow count down then 10count). your work out for boxing should be no less than 1hr. Most important always stretch before and after you work out. Learn how to breath when throw your punches.Try to install a mental clock of three min as you would use in the ring. I wish you the best

·
Registered
49 Posts
Here is how would advise you. Run no more than three miles unless you are training for a 10k. I would run interval running(jog for about 3min than sprint for 1min/jog then sprint)This gets your body used to the type of demand that takes place in the ring.
Jump rope for no less than 15min(about 5rds)everyday.
100 push ups(10x10)or(4x25)leg lifts(1set flutter kicks/1scisrror/up down 10 count then 5sec slow count down then 10count). your work out for boxing should be no less than 1hr. Most important always stretch before and after you work out. Learn how to breath when throw your punches.Try to install a mental clock of three min as you would use in the ring. I wish you the best
Thats a pretty good summary. I'm pretty much in the same shoes. I'm looking to get into boxing myself but I am currently on house arrest till Feb. so I've really taken this time to just focus on my conditioning so that when I do start training I will be better prepared.

Here's an example of my workout:

I currently run 3 miles in little under 26 min 3 times a week, Mon-Wed-Fri. Tues work on my arms (bi's,tri's), Thurs my chest/shoulder/back. I do at least 100 crunches/back crunches everyday and warm up on tues/thurs by jumping for 15 min. This is a light workout and I'm going to try and amp it up after the new years with a weighted vest and some plyometrics training. I work 8 hours a day and spend 2 hours commuting so only so much I can do in one day. I fit my workouts in on my lunch breaks as the company I work for has a gym. Before I started working out I weighed 218 and I'm only 5'8. Weighed myself today and I'm down to 162. Really trying to get into the low 150's by the time Feb rolls around.

Point is what I did was read everybody's advice here on the forums and did research on the web and then formulated my own training plan and goals according to my time schedule and the equipment that's available to me and what I felt comfortable doing. I started slow off running 1 mile 3 times a week and kept pushing my goals out further. I've been training for about 5 months.

Good luck Koot

·
Registered
35 Posts
You are doing well from what I've read so far but you need to find a gym and coach. So you can work out on the mitts and sparring, you will notice the difference. Sparring will show what it is like for three mins of give and take.Shadow box in the mirror with boxing gloves on remember to keep your elbow close to your ribs hands touching your chin. If you right handed(left leg forward/right leg back) throw a left jab followed by a right cross. Then double the jab followed by the right. It is really hard for me to tell you over the net, that is were the coach's eyes come in to play. wish you the best.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Thats a pretty good summary. I'm pretty much in the same shoes. I'm looking to get into boxing myself but I am currently on house arrest till Feb. so I've really taken this time to just focus on my conditioning so that when I do start training I will be better prepared.

I currently run 3 miles in little under 26 min 3 times a week, Mon-Wed-Fri. Tues work on my arms (bi's,tri's), Thurs my chest/shoulder/back. I do at least 100 crunches/back crunches everyday and warm up on tues/thurs by jumping for 15 min. This is a light workout and I'm going to try and amp it up after the new years with a weighted vest and some plyometrics training. I work 8 hours a day and spend 2 hours commuting so only so much I can do in one day. I fit my workouts in on my lunch breaks as the company I work for has a gym. Before I started working out I weighed 218 and I'm only 5'8. Weighed myself today and I'm down to 162. Really trying to get into the low 150's by the time Feb rolls around.

Point is what I did was read everybody's advice here on the forums and did research on the web and then formulated my own training plan and goals according to my time schedule and the equipment that's available to me and what I felt comfortable doing. I started slow off running 1 mile 3 times a week and kept pushing my goals out further. I've been training for about 5 months.

Good luck Koot
Wow impressive man...good job :thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
841 Posts

Good luck Koot
Good work and keep it up. Don't know if you forgot to mention it, but you need to workout your legs aswell, which are very important. Get that 5K time down a few minutes:thumbsup:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Good work and keep it up. Don't know if you forgot to mention it, but you need to workout your legs aswell, which are very important. Get that 5K time down a few minutes:thumbsup:
Thanks NsBlife. Its funny that you mention that. I was just thinking that yesterday if running and jumping are enough of a leg workout and started doing forward lunges with a 20 lbs bar accross my shoulders and I feel it in my buttocks and hamstrings today! lol.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts