Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, if you are reading this thanks in advance.

I'll give ya my stats here quick, I'm male 20 years old, i weigh 177 lbs, im a medium frame and i'm 6 foot even.

Long story short, i got really out of shape i weighed something like 210ish 3 months ago, so i decided to get in shape and what not, and have been using some cardio machines and started lifting again now (about 4-5 weeks).

I recently bought a heavy bag (100lbs canvas) as i always wanted to learn how to box. So my first night with it i didnt wrap my hands the best and 2nd knuckle on my middle finger and pointer finger (right hand) got tore to hell. But a bigger problem i have now is proper form. when i throw a straight right my hand always wants to hit on those 2nd knuckles and at a weird angle, my pointer finger knuckle (closest to my palm) is angled higher than the rest of my hand, and i cant seem to break the habit, so any ideas for that?

2nd, my left all together seems to have no power at all, it lacks that "snap" i guess is what id call it. I know its bad but i only curl 35 with each hand so i know they are on the same level, but i just cant get that nice crisp hit, its like my left jab just falls into the bag.

one more question would be how can i put more power behind my lower punches that are aimed for the stomach, (when my palms would be facing up and just a quick shot to the gut)?

id love any help at all...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I also wanted to add how can i go about building up power in general? there are no gyms in my area that offer boxing, so im just going off of what i can find, and so far all that i have really found was using 5- 10 pound weights in each hand and doing shadow boxing with them for an extended period of time. dont knwo if that really works tho.

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Boxing is about speed and placement. You dont have to have great power to be effective. Yes, it certainly helps, but being accurate and learning proper techniwue are more important. Becoming more powerful and "snappy" will come with time and practice. Your body will build up the muscles needed to throw punches with velocity and power over time by staying with the basics of boxing training. At my gym, our routine is this:

20 minutes jump rope
5 (3 minute) rounds on speed bag
5 (3 minute) rounds on heavy bag
3-5 (3 minute) rounds on uppercut bag
3 rounds on double-end bag
15 minutes on cycle
After all of that, you can do your calesthenics for about 15 minutes total. (Pushups, situps, crunches, jumping jacks, etc)

We do this workout mon thru thursday. 4 days a week.
When your first learning, you need to practice proper punching technique, footwork and movement. You shouldnt feel the need to move at a fast pace, as you want to learn correctly. Do it slowly at first and get your muscles and brain used to throwing punches properly, and then you will gradually speed it up and use more power as you develop. Check the other stickied threads at the top of the training and nutrition section as they may be an aid to you as well.

Good Luck !

1 - 3 of 3 Posts