Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Sorcery at Caesars: Sugar Ray's Marvelous Fight". By Steve Marantz.

I am the author and I'd like to introduce myself to this board.

I covered boxing for the Boston Globe from 1979 to 1988 - including the careers of Leonard and Hagler.

"Sorcery" is about their rivalry, their controversial 1987 bout, and its lingering effect.

Twenty-one years later, fans still debate the decision, and Hagler still is angry.

Though I covered the bout, there was much about Leonard and Hagler that was hidden from view. It took 21 years to piece the story together.

Glad to be a new member of this site - I welcome comments and questions.

Steve

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts

I covered boxing for the Boston Globe from 1979 to 1988 - including the careers of Leonard and Hagler.

"Sorcery" is about their rivalry, their controversial 1987 bout, and its lingering effect.

Twenty-one years later, fans still debate the decision, and Hagler still is angry.

Though I covered the bout, there was much about Leonard and Hagler that was hidden from view. It took 21 years to piece the story together.

Steve
Welcome aboard Steve. It's great to have you here.

I actually posted about your book a week or so ago. I am looking forward to getting a copy as I have heard nothing but solid reviews.
I'm going to check out the book now too. Hopefully I can pick up a copy before or at Christmas.

·
The Professor
8,572 Posts

Steve
I'd like to know the full reason Hagler retired immediately following the Leonard fight.

·
Boxings Own Living Legend
8,579 Posts
I'd like to know the full reason Hagler retired immediately following the Leonard fight.
Because he felt that he'd been robbed and I agree with him. He wanted nothing more to do with boxing. Henry Cooper did self same thing when he was shafted when they gave Joe Bugner the decision.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I'm sure he was still pissed that he get didn't his title shot until his fiftieth fight. Then, in that first fight with Vito Antuofermo, he gets robbed when the fight is ruled a draw. Then he tried to get the fight with Leonard for the longest time, but seemingly to no avail. When he finally got it, it came on the heels of a bruising battle with John Mugabi. In such a close fight where he was the more aggressive fighter, the decision against Leonard was just the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hagler claims he pushed for an immediate rematch. leonard claims he did too. but in late may 87 leonard announced his "retirement". hagler assumed leonard was manipulating him once again, as he did in november 1982. that last thing hagler wanted was to be used again as a prop by leonard. , hagler believed the decision went against him so that a rematch could be set up - and he didn't want to give in to what he believed to be the nefarious forces of Vegas.

also, hagler's marriage was falling apart, and he was allegedly using a lot of cocaine. he began to spend more and more time in italy - and there may be another reason known only to those closest to hagler - i've just heard whispers.

as time passed hagler was less inclined to put himself back into "prison", as he described training camp.

by 1988 leonard was pushing hard for a rematch. hagler was in italy making films. he probably liked the idea of denying leonard another huge payday.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
hagler claims he pushed for an immediate rematch. leonard claims he did too. but in late may 87 leonard announced his "retirement". hagler assumed leonard was manipulating him once again, as he did in november 1982. that last thing hagler wanted was to be used again as a prop by leonard. , hagler believed the decision went against him so that a rematch could be set up - and he didn't want to give in to what he believed to be the nefarious forces of Vegas.

also, hagler's marriage was falling apart, and he was allegedly using a lot of cocaine. he began to spend more and more time in italy - and there may be another reason known only to those closest to hagler - i've just heard whispers.

as time passed hagler was less inclined to put himself back into "prison", as he described training camp.

by 1988 leonard was pushing hard for a rematch. hagler was in italy making films. he probably liked the idea of denying leonard another huge payday.
very interesting. It's great that your here. Next time I'm at the local book store I'll look for your book.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
very interesting. It's great that your here. Next time I'm at the local book store I'll look for your book.
might be hard to find at a bookstore. barnes & noble has it at 'selected' stores.

probably easier to order from amazon.

or me - i can send a signed copy for $18 (shipping included).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts