Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i recently purchased a 70lb everlast heavy bag and some MMA gloves, I don't plan on boxing in a ring, but i plan on just learn great self defense/offense if i ever get into trouble in the streets. I've been very inspired by kimbo slice (no i dont need your opinion on him being a good fighter or a bad fighter, hes my inspiration, thats all that matters to me). Kimbo slice is huge, and a great fighter IMO, and since i've been body building for 2-3 years quite seriously, i think that would really help towards boxing maybe?
anyway, i'd like to hear some of you opinions on what I should throw into my workouts to improve my boxing power, agility, footwork, or balance.
also if you could tell me any types of routines to do with my bag, that would be very helpful. Thanks alott :D!!

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
[strike]Wrong place to be.[/strike] You don't wanna know my opinion on Kimbo Slice but i'm gonna give it anyway. The worse heavyweight boxer in the world could take Kimbo Slice out. He's wide he's slow and depends on power to win. He's a street fighter and this is a boxing forum. You're interested in boxing but decided to get MMA gloves..[strike]you should try an MMA forum.[/strike] Sorry to be harsh but to admire someone like Kimbo Slice and then say he inspires you to box [strike]is just one of the most ridiculous things i've heard today.[/strike]

Ohh Gee is asking for constructive criticism and solid advice, so what good does it do giving him the opposite.-DRP

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
Hey guys, i recently purchased a 70lb everlast heavy bag and some MMA gloves, I don't plan on boxing in a ring, but i plan on just learn great self defense/offense if i ever get into trouble in the streets. I've been very inspired by kimbo slice (no i dont need your opinion on him being a good fighter or a bad fighter, hes my inspiration, thats all that matters to me). Kimbo slice is huge, and a great fighter IMO, and since i've been body building for 2-3 years quite seriously, i think that would really help towards boxing maybe?
anyway, i'd like to hear some of you opinions on what I should throw into my workouts to improve my boxing power, agility, footwork, or balance.
also if you could tell me any types of routines to do with my bag, that would be very helpful. Thanks alott :D!!
Ohh Gee, ignore the post above, BR tends to come off like that, but he's good peoples.

If you've been a body builder for the last several years, I'd suggest stretching. Body builders tend to have big muscles and usually aren't able to really throw quick and powerful punches and if they do they are highly likely to tear and/or pull muscles because they lack flexibility and sometimes their muscles are too big.

Jump roping is the best and cheapest way of training that translates to boxing. It'll give you stamina, rhythm, footwork, and agility. For technique I used this: Stickgrappler's Martial Arts Archives - Frank Benn Index page

·
Registered
40 Posts
If you're just planning on punching the heavybag, you'll get a good workout but you won't learn to box if it's just you and your gloves and your bag. If you want to learn to box, you're best off finding a good boxing gym. If you want to be like Kimbo, find a good MMA gym. If you want a good cardio/chest/back/arm workout, punch your heavy bag.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
alright thanks alot guys, it helped alot :D Im going to be joining a boxing gym near me soon as soon as i am off accutane. The drug makes me rlly tired and all my joint sore, i lost a bunch of weigh off my bench and such. Also when i punch the bag it hurts the shoulders, but yah in about a month or 2 im gonna join a gym, thanks alot u guys :)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Kimbo Slice can't box, but that doesn't matter here. The best routine on your bag that you could try is just pounding it and try to do some advanced combo's when you get to it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts