Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, new to the forum so i figured id start with a shout out.
well with the pleasentries out of the way; Im 17 and am about to start boxing, ive found a gym and am going for my first time tomorow (hopefuly 3 times a week from then on). atm my goal is to compete in amatuer fights, not become a champ, but just to have fun competing with other guys.
so my question is how long will it take till i can spar and how long till i am ready to compete in amateur fights?
oh probably want some background info, I am 5ft 7 and 65kilos (143pounds), reasonably fit, done some basic boxing training (breathing, foot work and basic punches) so nothing too special.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
YOU SHOULD SPAR the first day in the gym with another "New to boxing" guy or a highly skilled guy (but taking it easy on you) so that your trainer can get an idea of where you are at skill wise and for him to see if you have any natural talent. This will help in the direction your training needs to go.

good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
kk that makes sense, hope i do have the natural talent for boxing, would make things a lot easier im guessing lol. also it'd be awesome if i could get to spar right off the bat, im trying to convince a friend to go with me so maybe we'll get to spar, however he is like 6ft 2 and reasonably skinny lol. his reach would be more but i rekon i have more power to my punch as im more muscular (nothing special, just more so than him). still would be an interesting fight.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
It would all depend on how you progress. I was boxing for about 6 months before I sparred for the first time. I just had my first fight 3 weeks ago, and I've been boxing for 2 years. It all depends on your trainers and how you feel.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
ah thats a fair while before u got your first fight, any specific reason for that?

ok to avoid a double post im just editing this one. So i went to my first training and was really happy with how i went considering i havent done all that much exercise recently. anyway we had to do 5 laps of the block on the road work bit (not sure how long it was, ill find out and report back)and i managed to do the five in a good time,the majority of new members and some of the older members only got 3-4 laps so im already ahead endurance/stamina wise compared to my peers. the rest of the real work out bits (skipping, pushups, situps "gymnastics" etc) went equally well and so going into the boxing i was actually fairly proud of my self. the boxing was a blast, got to work the heavy bag and speed bag and the more experienced boxers were really chilled, giving me pointers and what not (one guy spent like 10 mins helping me really get the hang of the speed bag)i was moving the heavy bag a bit with my jabs (not all that much) and have the 12 down (i rekon). the trainer said ill be sparring in 2 months and competing in about 4 months. however i can only get to the gym once a week due to school, so im guna have to work super hard at home to get myself prepared as quikly as possible. all in all i am physced for boxing :p

·
Registered
2 Posts
just depends on how hard you train and how dedicated you are to it.. anybody can get in the ring.. the question is do you want to get in the ring before you're ready, and humiliate yourself along with the rest of your squad? it can take anywhere from 3 weeks to 3 months to years. try sparring at your local gym to get a feel for whether or not you'd be ready to get in the ring.

on a side note, hitting a heavy bag is not the same as hitting an opponent.. so dont think beating up a bag means you're ready..

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
didnt mean to say i thought i was ready because of the bag, i was just saying i was happy i could get some movement. i know im not ready by far, not fit enough and a billion flaws in my technique, but hopefully in 5 months or so ill have ironed out the flaws and have the stamina,endurance to compete

1 - 7 of 7 Posts