Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

My name is Greg and I'm a 21 year old college student looking to get into boxing. I don't really want to do it super competitively or as a means to make ends meet (I'm a finance major yo); but more as a way to stay in shape, compete, and have some fun. I have never boxed for a second in my life, so in that arena I am obviously very inexperienced, but I am no stranger when it comes to athletic competition.

I was a 5 sport athlete in high school and had offers to play football and run track at several "smaller" universities, but chose to do the bigger school route and focus on my academics and career goals. I live in Fort Worth, Texas right now and have found a nice little gym that is fairly inexpensive and works specifically with amateurs.

I was wondering what advice you guys had for someone like me... let me give you some vitals and pros/ cons

Height: 5'9" (69 inches)
Weight: 148lbs

Pros:
Devastatingly Quick
Not afraid to get hit
Loves to hit
Decent weight for my height

Cons:
Endurance problems
History of Concussions
Small body density (smallish bones, more lean than muscular)

·
Registered
212 Posts
Hello all,

My name is Greg and I'm a 21 year old college student looking to get into boxing. I don't really want to do it super competitively or as a means to make ends meet (I'm a finance major yo); but more as a way to stay in shape, compete, and have some fun. I have never boxed for a second in my life, so in that arena I am obviously very inexperienced, but I am no stranger when it comes to athletic competition.

I was a 5 sport athlete in high school and had offers to play football and run track at several "smaller" universities, but chose to do the bigger school route and focus on my academics and career goals. I live in Fort Worth, Texas right now and have found a nice little gym that is fairly inexpensive and works specifically with amateurs.

I was wondering what advice you guys had for someone like me... let me give you some vitals and pros/ cons

Height: 5'9" (69 inches)
Weight: 148lbs

Pros:
Devastatingly Quick
Not afraid to get hit
Loves to hit
Decent weight for my height

Cons:
Endurance problems
History of Concussions
Small body density (smallish bones, more lean than muscular)

not exactly sure what you meant as in why you want to box. So you dont want to go professional or anything but you still want to compete? Well 21 is kind of too old to start boxing if you wanna go far into the sport, but ive heard of professional's who started in there 20's. About ur endurance, that will get better as you train. And its better to be lean then muscular ( ur not supposed to look like a big bodybuilder, this is boxing ), so dont start lifting weights or anything. Ur weight is pretty good for your height but it would probably be better if you dropped to 145.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
21 isn't too old. Past 30's is too old. He still has a chance if he wants to but thats not what he's aiming for. I applaud him for wanting to join such a tough sport. And trust me..its a tough sport.

·
Registered
57 Posts
It's fine to stay where you are in height and weight. There have been heavyweight champs at 5'6"-5'7". I'm 5'7" at 155 12.8% bodyfat, and it's okay to be muscular, certain muscles help more than others though, like legs, hip, back, and shoulder, extremely large biceps won't help much at all, but if you are an athelete, you should already know that. Just find a gym and go some 3 times a week for 2-3 hours.

·
Registered
212 Posts
21 isn't too old. Past 30's is too old. He still has a chance if he wants to but thats not what he's aiming for. I applaud him for wanting to join such a tough sport. And trust me..its a tough sport.
i said it was KIND OF too old, but theres been people who started in there twenties and went pro

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all of the responses guys... let me clarify a few things.

I have no interest in wanting to be a professional boxer, I am picking it up to stay in shape and get my contact fix (football isn't a sport you can just join a league and start playing). When I say compete, I mean that I eventually want to get in the ring with others.

I know boxing quick is very different, but trust me, I'm an accomplished athlete and quickness was always my game, I have no worries that with some practice and experience there will not be many people quicker than me (at the gym I plan on joining that is).

Any more advice?

Do you think my concussions could cause a problem?

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Work on your stamina, and when you find a boxing gym you like, tell them you are mainly interested in getting into shape and want to do sparring every now and then.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts