Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey i am totally new to boxing, i have been weight lifting for quite a while, and at a garage sale i found a motorised treadmill, and the owner told me to take it and a heavy boxing bag.
I have been messing around with the bag for about 2 - 3 weeks. I do use gloves, yet it still hurts my wrists and sometimes the knuckles, im guessing i must be punching it wrong?

Can anybody recommend me any books, dvd's or even youtube channels for the absolute beginner?

·
Registered
841 Posts
You need some wraps, wraps are what keeps your hands and wrists safe. Your best bet to learn is to get a trainer or find somebody that can show you the basics. If you don't want to do either of those, I think ringside.com has instructional vids as well as titleboxing.com w/ freddy roach. Also start watching boxing in general, observe their footwork and head movement as well as their punching technique and combos.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Absolutely get some handwraps and learn to wrap your hands. You're just screwing up your hands otherwise. If you go to youtube and do a search for heavy bag there's actually some decent instruction on there. . . and a whole lot of crap of course.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The youtube idea worked very well, i have suscribed to a channel that shows how to do everything in boxing with a heavy bag.
It shows how to practice offensive/defensive.
Footwork.
and other things i would have never thought possible.

Also, how more efficient are hand wraps compared to actual gloves?

·
Banned
1,305 Posts
I think that they are saying that you have to use the handwraps under the gloves. If you are just beginning to punch, it should hurt, because the impact goes right to your hand and wrist. That is why you keep going and toughen up, and get used to the pain. That is how you get tough hands, and you absolutely recommend hitting the bag bare fisted to toughen up your hands. Make sure to cover up your hands with small gloves or wraps to keep it from scraping when your knuckles rub against it too much or too hard.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Here you go again recommending rookies to start hitting the bag bare fisted. Stupid. J-Mak, don't listen to that, always wear your wraps and your gloves. You hit the bag bare fisted, you can not only potentially lose the integrity of the ligaments in your wrists rendering you useless to boxing but also create open wounds and blisters that will turn your workouts into tourture sessions. You don't need tough skin on your hands to box, you need to be able to hit hard and that starts with your back and shoulder muscle groups not the skin on your hand 'boxingmaniac':thumbsdown:.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here you go again recommending rookies to start hitting the bag bare fisted. Stupid. J-Mak, don't listen to that, always wear your wraps and your gloves. You hit the bag bare fisted, you can not only potentially lose the integrity of the ligaments in your wrists rendering you useless to boxing but also create open wounds and blisters that will turn your workouts into tourture sessions. You don't need tough skin on your hands to box, you need to be able to hit hard and that starts with your back and shoulder muscle groups not the skin on your hand 'boxingmaniac':thumbsdown:.
Yes, this happened to me the first week on getting the bag.
I was cutting up my hands very badly. So much so that i could only jab and shadow box for the other hand.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.