Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay well over the weekend I got interested in boxing. Yesterday i started reading up on it looking around and the whole thing seems interesting to me. One of the main reasons i wanted to get into boxing is because i want to get in shape and i kind of want to change the fact that i'm weak.

I am kind of a theorycrafter so i'm not sure what i can actually do but i like to plan out stuff.

After reading a bit i would say i am an Out-Fighter, because i'm not really strong so i can't do power hits.

One problem is the theory is different from practice so i've set up a thing where i'm going to try to box against my friends.

My friends prolly aren't going to read into this as much as i am so i'm going to use that as my advantage over their raw power. I wouldn't say they are insanely stronger then me and i'm not insanely weak but there is a difference.

Anyways most of my friends are left-handed... and i'm guessing that fighting a left-handed person would be a lot different from a right handed person. right?

what should i do about this?

is there a different strategy i should use?

should i just switch and myself fight left-handed?

during the fight would i have an advantage by switching back and forth between left and right handed?

Another question is I fought one of these friends a long time ago and they played aggressive. They would charge in and hit. When this happens what do i do?

Do i step back?
Do i try to dodge the initial punch and jump to the side of them?
Do i just brace for the hits and wait for an opening?

i'm still going to be reading more into this but yeah any help would be appreciated.

What would i learn more from?

Reading?
Training Videos?
Actual fight Videos?
or Actually Fighting?

1-4 best to worst please

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
On the left-handers thing, left-handers generally fight as southpaws. It changes angles and stuff but other people will explain it better. However, if you havent really fought before you wont be used to fighting right-handers, so it wont be as much as a problem really i wouldnt think.

The bottom 4 are all important IMO i think it is good to do some reading, do some surfing around on google and look for some tips on how to fight southpaws (left-handers) and it should give some useful info.

With watching Fight Videos, go onto YouTube and look up your favourite fighters, try and copy there punches and try to move like them.

Then obviously, after you have done these two things, the best way to practice them is by sparring. Really though, i would think the best place to start would be to find a local boxing gym and learn the proper punching technique and other useful stuff.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
UnusedName said:
Okay well over the weekend I got interested in boxing. Yesterday i started reading up on it looking around and the whole thing seems interesting to me. One of the main reasons i wanted to get into boxing is because i want to get in shape and i kind of want to change the fact that i'm weak.

I am kind of a theorycrafter so i'm not sure what i can actually do but i like to plan out stuff.

After reading a bit i would say i am an Out-Fighter, because i'm not really strong so i can't do power hits.

One problem is the theory is different from practice so i've set up a thing where i'm going to try to box against my friends.

My friends prolly aren't going to read into this as much as i am so i'm going to use that as my advantage over their raw power. I wouldn't say they are insanely stronger then me and i'm not insanely weak but there is a difference.

Anyways most of my friends are left-handed... and i'm guessing that fighting a left-handed person would be a lot different from a right handed person. right?

what should i do about this?

is there a different strategy i should use?

should i just switch and myself fight left-handed?

during the fight would i have an advantage by switching back and forth between left and right handed?

Another question is I fought one of these friends a long time ago and they played aggressive. They would charge in and hit. When this happens what do i do?

Do i step back?
Do i try to dodge the initial punch and jump to the side of them?
Do i just brace for the hits and wait for an opening?
Never ever do that

i'm still going to be reading more into this but yeah any help would be appreciated.

What would i learn more from?

Reading?
Training Videos?
Actual fight Videos?
or Actually Fighting?

1-4 best to worst please

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm a southpaw, but started training 3 weeks ago as a right-hander because I am ambidextrous. It just felt more natural to me.

Now my trainers say that because I feel more comfortable in a right handed position, don't change it.

The only thing is that your strong arm should be your back arm, and for me it is the reverse. In otherwords my jab..is my strongest arm. It makes for a really good jab, but now I have to work at making my right arm stronger so I can throw a good effective cross.

So basically what I'm trying to say is that it doesn't make a huge difference, because you are forced to switch positions many times, and should train both sides.

Good luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts