Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Im new to boxing and purchasing all my stuff to train with. I have the basics, 9ft jump rope, 14 oz training gloves, 16oz sparring gloves and im going to get 12oz fight gloves. I also have a 100lb heavy bag and a speed bag as well. I guess my biggest question is am i on the right path in what im getting and if I take a 9.5 shoe size do i get 9.5 boxing shoes? Thanks any tips are very appricated!

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
yeah, shoe size pretty much translates the same. I'd hold off on the fight gloves as you wont need them anytime soon. Get your basics down with the bag gloves and work on the bags/mitts. Once your ready you'll do some sparring, and it will be quite some time before you're in there for a real fight, even in the amateur ranks. But train hard, and have fun !

·
Registered
13 Posts
yea I'd say hold off on the sparring and fight gloves for now. It takes a while to be spar/fight ready. First big lesson is to learn how to wrap your hands, I suggest mexican hand wraps. They are made out of an elastic material so they will support good. If hands arent wrapped properly you risk hand injuries which are painful, slower to heal, and just cripple you doing simple everyday tasks. So its really important, theres a lot of youtube vids. Use youtube to learn basic punch techniques, jumprope routines also.

For the speedbag I highly suggest getting a good swivel off the bat, thats pretty much the entire feel during when you speedbag, theres huge night and day differences b/t the cheapy ones and good quality ones. The ones that are around $29.99-39.99 mark will do. Dont waste time with the 19.99 and lower ones. I went through swivels and once I got the more expensive one, I wished I had just started with the more expensive one instead of wasting money on the cheaper ones.

Dont get intimidated on the learning curve, it just takes practice like everything else out there. I learned to wrap hands by the end of the first week or so. Boxing is one of the best full body workouts routines you can do

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.