Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody, I'm new here. This is also my first time visiting the forum, and I have some questions.
I'm new to boxing right now. A few weeks ago I decided to start getting into better shape. Me and my friends have boxed a few times, and I'm looking to learn some tips on fighting and getting into shape. Alright, so I'm 5'9" and about 140 pounds at the moment. I started working out about a month ago, and have managed to gain some weight already. I drink weight gainer every once and a while whenever I work out. Now, are gyms and trainers recommended to beginners?
I don't have much to work with right now. I have an old bench of mine. I do curls, pushups, bench and use dumbells alot. I currently don't have a punching bag or anything. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Hey everybody, I'm new here. This is also my first time visiting the forum, and I have some questions.
I'm new to boxing right now. A few weeks ago I decided to start getting into better shape. Me and my friends have boxed a few times, and I'm looking to learn some tips on fighting and getting into shape. Alright, so I'm 5'9" and about 140 pounds at the moment. I started working out about a month ago, and have managed to gain some weight already. I drink weight gainer every once and a while whenever I work out. Now, are gyms and trainers recommended to beginners?
I don't have much to work with right now. I have an old bench of mine. I do curls, pushups, bench and use dumbells alot. I currently don't have a punching bag or anything. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Sure it's alright to go to a gym if your a beginner, no problem. It sounds like you are limited to a few weight training exercises, try to vary your exercises to get every muscle group and make sure your getting cardio out of it while your at it ( don't do a set and rest for 5 min., do it and go to the next to increase resistence to muscle fatigue). Since your a interested in getting into boxing, I'd really recommend that you get a heavy bag, speed bag, etc. Start jump roping, shadow boxing and running alot to gain more cardiovascular endurance. Get your basic footwork down, basic punches, balance and form. If you don't have anybody to instruct you, start watching some fights, watch their footwork and movement/punches. There are also training vids out there, there are a lot at titleboxing made by freddy roach (one of the greatest trainers out there)you could try those. If there is a gym around you go check it out, and take advantage of it. Good Luck bud.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply man. Now, for getting the basic idea of boxing, me and my friend box whenever we get the chance. Theres a huge size difference between the two of us, wich I think is good for me. I'm 5'9" at 140 pounds and he's 6'3" at 320 pounds, which I guess would be good on my half. There are a few local gyms I know about, but there prices are all different prices. The closest one is huge, and they charge $200 a year, and I'm not sure if that's good. I have friends that've been there, and they told me it's big, and has a punching bag and all as well. They even have swimming and everything, which I think may be good for me as well. Theres also a couple others that I know nothing about, but they have boxing rings. Anybody have any advice on boxing or a descent gym price.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Go down to each of the gyms and see which one suits you best, there's no point going somewhere you don't like as you won't stick at it.
Most places will offer you at least a free session before asking you to join.

One last point go for a structured class if you can, there's not point going to a gym and punching a bag if you're not being given points to improve on etc by a trained instructor.

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
You should work out at gym, with people to help you working out lifting weights and giving you intructions with a proper training.

All I can say is to watch out, getting overtraining might be dangerous

·
Registered
397 Posts
Well there are certain exercises that pertain to the combat athlete.

First if weights and conditioning

Exercises should be based on Cardio, Speed, Explosiveness, Endurance, Power

Here are some exercises good for the combat athlete

Squats
Deadlifts
Good Mornings
Benchpress
Upright Rows
Barbell Rows
Clean and Press
Dumbell Snatches
Turkish Get Ups with KettleBells
Crunches
Pull Ups
Dips
Skulls Crushers
Shadow Boxing with Resistance Bands and Dumbells

(nothing bodybuilding related is going to help you)

Diet- No fast food, No Greasy Food, Low salt, low sugar, no soft drinks, and moderate fat intake

Try not to eat too much processed food. No White Bread.

You need to be eating clean and lean. Chicken, Fish, Rice, Veggies, Fruit, Beef, Yogurt, Eggs (Whites), Milk etc

Supplementation

You need a

Multivitamin- Overall Health and Well Being as well as immune function
Fish Oil- Cardio and Heart Health
Whey Protein Powder- post workout
Joint Support Supplement
Amino Acids in Tablet Form

Weight Gainers are good make sure ( if your trying to gain weight) that you take it at least twice a day

Some Supplements you should think about

Pre Workout Energy- Nitric Oxide Supplement like NO Xplode or White Flood
Beta Alanine- Endurance During Workouts and Reducing Fatigue

Things to avoid

Creatine- You really don't need this
Anything Hormonal Related- Hdrol, Methyl-1D, Halodrol

So clean up your diet, join a gym and get to work bud

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.