Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I've been a fairweather fight fan for as long as I can remember, and over the last two years I've become completely addicted to boxing, really can't get enough of it. I've read this forum for a few months now, and felt it was about time I signed up and got involved! in short just wanted to introduce myself to you all!

Got one question as well!!.... I can't get to the bottom of why there are so many governing bodies of boxing, the four major ones as well as others such as the IBO, when to me it seems only the Ring magazine belt really matters? whats the point in seperate titles?!

Cheers,

Alex

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
Welcome aboard Alex. There are always been different governing bodies in boxing. These organisations are looking to make profit. Different titles means several world championship fights per division so more money for the ruling bodies and the fighters (as well as the promoters). Among these alphabet belts the WBC is usually recognized as the most prestigious title (besides the ring belt). Having the ring magazine title means you're the linear champ. That means you won it by beating the man considered the best in the division. But it can be vacated (sometimes for years) in that case the #1 and #2 guys fight for that title. However, the linear champ sometimes wins questionable decisions or lays off for 1 or 2 years so you can have a linear champ and another fighter considered the best in the division.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Hi guys,

I've been a fairweather fight fan for as long as I can remember, and over the last two years I've become completely addicted to boxing, really can't get enough of it. I've read this forum for a few months now, and felt it was about time I signed up and got involved! in short just wanted to introduce myself to you all!

Got one question as well!!.... I can't get to the bottom of why there are so many governing bodies of boxing, the four major ones as well as others such as the IBO, when to me it seems only the Ring magazine belt really matters? whats the point in seperate titles?!

Cheers,

Alex
Welcome to the forum i'm gonna move this thread to the lounge.Hope you enjoy the forum if you have
any questions feel free to contact me or another staff member.

Gary

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
Hi guys,

Cheers,

Alex
Same as me really :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Welcome to the forum Alex. You'll love this place. Balistik did a great job of answering your question about the sanctioning bodies.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome aboard Alex. There are always been different governing bodies in boxing. These organisations are looking to make profit. Different titles means several world championship fights per division so more money for the ruling bodies and the fighters (as well as the promoters). Among these alphabet belts the WBC is usually recognized as the most prestigious title (besides the ring belt). Having the ring magazine title means you're the linear champ. That means you won it by beating the man considered the best in the division. But it can be vacated (sometimes for years) in that case the #1 and #2 guys fight for that title. However, the linear champ sometimes wins questionable decisions or lays off for 1 or 2 years so you can have a linear champ and another fighter considered the best in the division.
Makes perfect sense. thanks for clearing that up!!

·
Registered
589 Posts
Hi guys,

Cheers,

Alex
Oh your name is Alex. Just like my little cousin. How cute. My name is Darlene. Welcome

·
Banned
18 Posts
Welcome aboard Alex.
Like Alex I'm new here too. Ive been a boxing fan as long as I can remember. I've been looking for a good forum that discusses boxing without the historionics, did I spell that right? I watched the rooms most of yesterday this seems to be what I've been looking for. I look forward to talking boxing with everyone

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
Like Alex I'm new here too. Ive been a boxing fan as long as I can remember. I've been looking for a good forum that discusses boxing without the historionics, did I spell that right? I watched the rooms most of yesterday this seems to be what I've been looking for. I look forward to talking boxing with everyone
Welcome aboard. I've been here about 3 weeks and found it to be really good, I'm sure you'll enjoy it :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
Welcome aboard ringsider.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts