Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My name is Etienne & live in Malta. I am a 23 year old and has just started out in boxing this year (6 months or so). I am loving boxing training a lot and when I commit to something there is no turning back....

I do have a pretty good platform as I have been weight training (medium weights/high intensity), football, cycling, jogging and eating helathy for at least 5 years now and I plan on fighting my first amateur fight next January.

Now for my very first question....what is the best advice in boxing you got for me guys ;-)...also any suggestions for my weight and boxing training regimen? I do weight & ab training on Tue & Thur and boxing training on Mon, Wed & Fri.

Thanks!

·
Wet Beaver Bandit
5,334 Posts
best advice, hmmm, throw straight punches. Loopy punchers have good power but get countered and eventually KTFO.

Welcome aborad man and hope you sticka round. I'm going to move this thread to the lounge, though.

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
Hi,

My name is Etienne & live in Malta. I am a 23 year old and has just started out in boxing this year (6 months or so). I am loving boxing training a lot and when I commit to something there is no turning back....

I do have a pretty good platform as I have been weight training (medium weights/high intensity), football, cycling, jogging and eating helathy for at least 5 years now and I plan on fighting my first amateur fight next January.

Now for my very first question....what is the best advice in boxing you got for me guys ;-)...also any suggestions for my weight and boxing training regimen? I do weight & ab training on Tue & Thur and boxing training on Mon, Wed & Fri.

Thanks!
Welcome aboard buddy13. The best advice I can give you is to watch a lot of professional fights. See how they move, how they box and learn from them. I suggest you to run more than 5 miles (with some sprints here and there) at least twice a week.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your replies....

and for your advice... will up my running and throw more jabs and straight right hands ;-).....

·
Banned
1,305 Posts
Hi,

Thanks!
Welcome to the wonderful sport of boxing.

There are two types of defense that you should learn:

Slipping punches. You should study the style of Rocky Marciano and Joe Frazier if you are a shorter man. You will really be having to move your back a lot in these.

Lean back dodge and counter. Study the styles of Floyd Mayweather, the early Mike Tyson, and Muhammad Ali, and the way that they lean back, dodge, and then counter. This is perfect for if you are a taller man than the rest of them. You should get a mixed style if you are just right in the middle with the rest of them.

For your weight:

Go with the flow. Do not worry about what weight class you want to be and be happy with what weight class that you are at the moment. The best boxers are the fighters that develop their weight naturally. People that are lighter than they are supposed to be get exhausted easier. People that are carrying 30 more pounds than they are supposed to be carrying get exhausted also, but they are also very slow and easy to hit.

If you have any questions that you would like to ask me, I will have no problem answering.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Big Thanks....

I am 5'10 tall and of medium build weighing in at 77kg. With weight training I upped my weight but still with experience I found that to have my abs show and be lean I need to be around 73kg...but for that I would need to follow a very rigid and strict diet program :-(....for some reason I semm to have a slow metabolism....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts