Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently interested in boxing and I've been reading a lot of the threads in this section and I'm trying to learn as much as I can. But I have three main issues I'm worried about.

For one I'm currently 5'7 and 280 pounds. I know it may sound like a lot but I'm pretty sure I can lose the wait. I used to be 310 pounds about 3 years ago and I lost about 90 pounds in a years time which made me weigh 220. I gained the weight back and weighed 350 in January of this year and currently have gotten down to 280. So I'm loosing weight really quick so I'm lead to believe its water weight since I don't drink anything but water. My goal is to hit between 175 and 180 and I know when I hit the 220 mark its really hard to lose weight from there.

But my concern is when I hit the 220 mark. For my size at only 5'7, if I can actually get between 175 and 180, will my hight be good enough for the Light Heavyweight class? Or should I try to get into lower weight classes? I'm not sure what my reach is though and not sure how to measure it.

My second concern is my lack of resources. I live in a small town here in Arizona with a population less than 20,000. There are only two gyms here and no boxing gyms. I plan to drive down to the city to get a heavy bag, speed bag and ect. but I don't want to develop bad habits in my boxing style since I know how hard they are to over come. (Just look at my weight issue.)

Is there a way to develop your body for boxing without accidentally developing a bad habit?

I still plan to move in less than a year back to the city where I know of a few good gyms that have been recommended by old friends. I've lost there number so this is why I'm here asking this questions >>. But I'm still glad to be here.

My last concern is my wrist strength. When I throw a jab or a straight I can feel my wrist bend and absorb the force and most of the time its painful. Is this because I still have bad form? Or is it because my wrist is just weak and I wasn't made to box?

Is there any exercises that I can do to develop my wrist strength correctly for boxing? I'm asking because I don't want to develop the wrong muscles if I'm not going to use them.

I'm not planning to go pro. I've thought about it and want to take my time and do things the correct way. Also in time I want to be able to spar with people and maybe do some armature matches. Then after time if it leads to it try and get a pro license.

I'm thankful for any help that you boxers can give me, no matter how decisive it may be.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
5ft7 is very small for light heavy, it would be considered small for middleweight.

·
Registered
841 Posts
This might sound harsh but I'm just trying to help. Your wrist probably hurts because you don't or haven't worked out for some time or at all after seeing how much you weigh. Your forearm, shoulders, and every other muscle in your upper body are probably very weak due to limited exercise and general use. 5'7 is pretty short for light heavy and it's pushing it for middleweights. Im a light heavy and 5'11, you should probably set your goals to a lower weight. Also seeing that your weight fluxuates dramatically, I'm lead to beleive that you "fast" when you want to lose weight. Don't fast, thats the worst thing you can do, and you'll just gain your weight back in no time once you start eating again. I'd suggest aiming towards around 150, depending on how determined you are to actually start boxing. Other thing, don't go buy equipment from some store in the city, all of their stuff will most likely be garbage. Order your gear from ringside or title. I assure you, The weight you have is not water weight. Water weight would weigh no more than 5lbs. If you had 50 pounds of water weight you'd be dead. You sound like you have a lot of heart, so now start using your head and get healthy. If your going to box, you need I giant lifestyle change, it's not exactly an "easy" sport.

·
Registered
624 Posts
This might sound harsh but I'm just trying to help. Your wrist probably hurts because you don't or haven't worked out for some time or at all after seeing how much you weigh. Your forearm, shoulders, and every other muscle in your upper body are probably very weak due to limited exercise and general use. 5'7 is pretty short for light heavy and it's pushing it for middleweights. Im a light heavy and 5'11, you should probably set your goals to a lower weight. Also seeing that your weight fluxuates dramatically, I'm lead to beleive that you "fast" when you want to lose weight. Don't fast, thats the worst thing you can do, and you'll just gain your weight back in no time once you start eating again. I'd suggest aiming towards around 150, depending on how determined you are to actually start boxing. Other thing, don't go buy equipment from some store in the city, all of their stuff will most likely be garbage. Order your gear from ringside or title. I assure you, The weight you have is not water weight. Water weight would weigh no more than 5lbs. If you had 50 pounds of water weight you'd be dead. You sound like you have a lot of heart, so now start using your head and get healthy. If your going to box, you need I giant lifestyle change, it's not exactly an "easy" sport.

good post man, i couldn't have said it any better myself:thumbsup:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

No I don't think you're harsh. I asked for help and I'm glad someone was able to give me truthful advice, Thank you. And it's true I haven't worked out my upper body for a long time.

Yes my weight has always been a problem for me thats why I decided to get involved with a sport and boxing seems like the ideal sport for myself since weight control has is fair deal of awareness in boxing. I know its not going to be easy for someone like myself but I have to take a forward step sometime.

I actually do fast but only for one day out of the week. I usually eat fiber and protein most of the time.Kind of like those low carb diets. 150 sounds hard to get to but weight control is not meant to be easy right? So I'll try my best at getting there. When I hit the 220 mark I was able to suck in my gut and leave about 7 inches between the front of my stomach to my back. Not sure if that was understandable but basically I could suck my gut in and actually see my rib cage and my stomach was 7 inches long. So my upper body seemed like a good fit when I hit the 220 mark. Just my lower body held all the weight since big legs is a family gene.

Also I have ordered a few things from ringside a few days ago. I was looking at heavy bag prices and shipping costs and was wondering if its better to go to the city to buy it? or order it online and just pay the extra charges for shipping? Also ringside's details for certain bags say unfilled, soft filled and filled. What is the difference between soft fill and filled? It also says "Unfilled bags do not come with a foam liner." What does this mean?

Which would be best to buy online? Unfilled, soft filled/filled?

Also thanks for the help! I really appriciate it.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Its hard because soft filled is most likely filled for someone who doesn't have strong hands and thats how you work your way up and when your hands are strong you could take a much harder bag. I suggest getting the filled one because soft filled will be useful but only for a limit of time. The filled one will be hard and you wont have to switch to any other bag. And get the filled ones i don't think you wanna go through the trouble of filling your own bag and probably not getting what you should've.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Don't fast for even that one day, it really jacks with your metabolism. I suggest you see a nutritionists to get a good diet plan going for you. No don't go to the city and buy anything, ringside doesn't retail their products through many sports stores, all you'll find is cheap everlast gear. So, yes order everything online. Get the filled bags, you don't want to have to fill them, trust me, so its worth it to pay extra shipping. Thinking about your height and weight perdicament, I was going to suggest you try out mixed martial arts(even though I personally despise this sport for making outrageous claims about boxing as a whole)instead of boxing. Shorter and heavier people do better in that sport and you'll still get to box as well. Good Luck.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Actually I was told the same thing by a few friends I have that have been competing in MMA matches. But I don't find MMA interesting or entertaining. I'm going to try what you suggested and try to get down to the 150 mark even if its going to be a hard struggle to get to. I'll also try finding a good nutritionist in my area to see what I should be eating.

Thanks for the help everyone! :D

·
Registered
841 Posts
Actually I was told the same thing by a few friends I have that have been competing in MMA matches. But I don't find MMA interesting or entertaining. I'm going to try what you suggested and try to get down to the 150 mark even if its going to be a hard struggle to get to. I'll also try finding a good nutritionist in my area to see what I should be eating.

Thanks for the help everyone! :D
Good choice, your taking the harder path, I admire that. Good luck with everything.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
I personally don't get entertained by people holding eachother trying to grab their arm and put it in an arm bar and hit people with elbows and knees. It just doesn't interest me. Iono what it is about boxing that makes me love it. **** tapping out knock him out don't give him a choice.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good choice, your taking the harder path, I admire that. Good luck with everything.
Thanks for the support.

I also have another question if anyone could help me with this because I've never jumped rope that much before. What length should the jump rope I buy be? I'm 5'7 by the way.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Thanks for the support.

I also have another question if anyone could help me with this because I've never jumped rope that much before. What length should the jump rope I buy be? I'm 5'7 by the way.[/QUOTE

I use 9 ft. Try a 7ft, if you're not comfortable with it get a 9 footer. If you want to work your shoulders and forearms while your at it get one that's weighted.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My advise is this

1.Train cardio on the morning ( for beggining 30 min of fast walking..) on empty stomack or maximum whey protein

2.Eat lots of vegetable,get ridd of junk food,bread,milk ( soja milk is ok or of goat or somethin'..)eat tuna,fish,chicken..

3.Train one hour per day in boxing gym,start slowly and for some time you will be ok...

Remember,brain doesn't know the limit;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts