Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

Can anyone confirm what caused Gerald McClellan's blood clot?

Some people say it was the clash of heads, but whilst looking for a conclusive answer I came across this:

Gerald McClellan Nigel Benn Boxing John Sutcliffe Bradley Stone Pacheco United Kingdom - SI Vault

> ...John Sutcliffe, the neurosurgeon who performed the surgery on McClellan. Sutcliffe added that he believed the blows McClellan took before the two knockdowns were probably responsible for the blood clot. <

If anyone can answer this I'd be very grateful.

Thanks.

G

·
it was a brual fight,benn was beaten bad and so was Gman, i dont think Nigel Benn was ever same fighter after that fight either, what caused it is probably just down to the blows landed, no one can know for sure. he also lost 35 punds appartantly in 6 weeks.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Funny you bring it up. I just watched the fight a couple of days ago. Although McClellan was taking a terrible beating a couple of rounds prior to it, it was the clash of heads that started it IMO, and in spite of what some say it wasn't an intention butt by Benn. He lunged to throw a punch and fell into McClellan. The two meaningful punches that caused him to take a knee after that were pretty harmless looking.

What a terrible ending. After the fight only a few feet separated tragedy and euphoria as Benn celebrated wildly for the whole time doctors were applying a neck brace and putting McClellan on a stretcher, almost as in delight at what he had done....Although I'm sure he had no idea. As he left the ring he collapsed himself from exhaustion.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Definently the clash or heads.
In a word 'Rubbish'.

There is NO definitely in it.

No one can no what blow started the bleed and therefore clot, such things can be caused by powerful or equally innocuous looking punches and the cumulative nature of the blows also could be a contributing factor as of course could many other things.

I guess you know more than the neurosurgeon in question though Lance :rolleyes:

P.S

These fighters gave us one of the greatest fights of all time and it is something that stands as testimony to the great fighting spirit that they both brought into the ring.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts