Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nikolay Valuev vs Monte Barrett.

Saturday, October 7, 2006.

At Rosemont, Ill., Russia’s Nikolay Valuev takes on American Monte Barrett for Valuev's WBA heavyweight title. Valuev, called the “Russian Giant” because he stands 7-feet tall and weighs 320 pounds, is the tallest heavyweight champion in history. Valuev (44-0, 32 KOs) won the title from John Ruiz in December 2005 with a unanimous decision. He has since made one defense, beating Owen Beck by TKO. "I have fought 44 times and have always gone back to my motherland in St. Petersburg a winner,” said Valuev, who is a sportsbook favorite for this bout. Barrett (31-4, 17 KOs) has yet to have a career-defining victory. He will give up 9 inches in height to Valuev and will be a huge underdog play for boxing bettors. “I am hungry and focused. I'm 225 pounds right now, and my heart is 224 of it," Barrett said.


WagerWeb.Boxing
 

·
The Maul Brawling Slugger
Joined
·
1,000 Posts
I could almost go as far to say that this Nikolay Valuev is "THE REAL LIFE IVAN DRAGO"... HE IS VERY BIG... HE IS VERY STRONG... AND DAMN IT... there needs to be some kind of Rocky Balboa character to beat this "GIANT!!!"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts
barrett will win-my assumption is that at 7ft, 320 Valuev will get tired, stop using his height advantage and get caught. Wasnt' MB getting beaten up by Klitschko and then take the victory(?).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,108 Posts
mtt_c said:
barrett will win-my assumption is that at 7ft, 320 Valuev will get tired, stop using his height advantage and get caught. Wasnt' MB getting beaten up by Klitschko and then take the victory(?).

Barret lost to Klitschko. He was down like 5 times. I think Valuev is gonna KO him in inder 6 rounds.

Do you get HBO ? Are you gonna watch this? Adamek vs Briggs II is on the undercard & the 1st fight was great.
 

·
The Maul Brawling Slugger
Joined
·
1,000 Posts
That Russian guy is way too big... but if people can kick Primo Carnera's ass... I'm guessing that they can kick this guys ass! Interesting to note that he has had "ONLY" 44 Professional Fights ever since 1993... he has been around for quite some time... and now there's a hell of a lot of hype... 2 BIG!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,108 Posts
Have you seen him fight before? He is not as clumsy as you would think.

I have seen some of his fights but always after the fight. This will be my 1st time watchin him live.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nikolay will try to continue with the hegemony of russian boxers in this categories(CMB, AMB, FIB and OMB) . We can't forget that. Even he is way too strong and his only presence is really outstanding; Some say, now that i've been reading, that Heavyweight fights are wacked and that Nikolay is an example of why is like that. Some say he lacks skills and he has been winning only because of his physical attributes.:dunno: Now, in the other side, we have to take into consideration, the"gold era" of heavyweight fights are gone for the moment. At least for myself, (that's the way I look at it). In the other hand, I would love to see Barret winning. I must say, I think he has much more skill than Nikolay. It;s going to be fun, after all. I bet on Barret...:D

Milatown.

WagerWeb.Boxing
 

·
The Maul Brawling Slugger
Joined
·
1,000 Posts
milatown said:
Nikolay will try to continue with the hegemony of russian boxers in this categories(CMB, AMB, FIB and OMB) . We can't forget that. Even he is way too strong and his only presence is really outstanding; Some say, now that i've been reading, that Heavyweight fights are wacked and that Nikolay is an example of why is like that. Some say he lacks skills and he has been winning only because of his physical attributes.:dunno: Now, in the other side, we have to take into consideration, the"gold era" of heavyweight fights are gone for the moment. At least for myself, (that's the way I look at it). In the other hand, I would love to see Barret winning. I must say, I think he has much more skill than Nikolay. It;s going to be fun, after all. I bet on Barret...:D

Milatown.

WagerWeb.Boxing
I hope Barret wins as well... but I love Russia!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
198 Posts
So far this big lug has not beat anyone of any quality.

He Scaped by an old John Ruiz


Klitschko, Peter, Brock would all kill him.

I would bet on Toney if he stepped into the ring aginst him.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Valuev Have WON! KO!!!!

White Tyson !My respect to you! Russia really worth to be LOVED ! That’s amazing country!!! If you would have a chance just visit it.
Valuev,Lyachovich,Klichko,Maskaev and Great IBRAGIMOV they are the best at the moment and that’s truth. Everyone who knows history of this Great Country would be agree with me.Our people have suffered a lot to be weak. That’s why we are not only strong but we also have big soul and hearts.And also notice that Russian fighters never show off before the fight.
My congratulations to Nikolay Valuev. Well done. Good fight.:thumbsup:
Best regards!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts
I got to admit, Valuev took some shots. Every in this forum would have agreed before this fight that OVERSIZED slow boxers eventually lose to faster opponents. Valuez made Barrett look like a kid he was so big. Valuev didn't flinch and I, a sometimes cynical boxing fan, thought this was too hyped to be true. Good job to Valuev, my respect goes out to Barrett.

BTW, "Russian" fighters have really made a surge throughout recent boxing matchups (think Jirov before he became a heavy, both IBRAGIMOVs, the 4 champeens). Everyone contributes this to the amatuer system and I think it has taken the Americans rightly by storm.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,108 Posts
MotherRussia said:
White Tyson !My respect to you! Russia really worth to be LOVED ! That’s amazing country!!! If you would have a chance just visit it.
Valuev,Lyachovich,Klichko,Maskaev and Great IBRAGIMOV they are the best at the moment and that’s truth. Everyone who knows history of this Great Country would be agree with me.Our people have suffered a lot to be weak. That’s why we are not only strong but we also have big soul and hearts.And also notice that Russian fighters never show off before the fight.
My congratulations to Nikolay Valuev. Well done. Good fight.:thumbsup:
Best regards!

I think Liakovich,Klitschko & even Valuev can be considered some of the best if not the best, but not Maskaev & Ibragimov. The last 2 are solid heavyweights but not the best. Ibragimov could not beat Ray Austin in his last fight.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts
ERIK said:
I think Liakovich,Klitschko & even Valuev can be considered some of the best if not the best, but not Maskaev & Ibragimov. The last 2 are solid heavyweights but not the best. Ibragimov could not beat Ray Austin in his last fight.
Klitscko, liakovich and valuev (to order the champeens). Maskeav is durable and has power but when he goes against someone like Peters, he'll fall. Sultan Ibragimov was in the Monte Barrett role against Austin-too much height differential and he stopped fighting effectively in the mid-latter rounds. But during the comentary, "they" said the winner would get the next shot at Klitscko???? Ibragimov was 20-0, 20 fights is good to get into the rankings but should not be good enough to get a title shot.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
198 Posts
ERIK said:
I think Liakovich,Klitschko & even Valuev can be considered some of the best if not the best, but not Maskaev & Ibragimov. The last 2 are solid heavyweights but not the best. Ibragimov could not beat Ray Austin in his last fight.

Out of the champs right now, Klitscchko is the best and there is a few out there that can beat him.

The Heavy Weight's need a hero. If Brock can go in there an cruch Klitschko, I think he would probly be that man, but Brock has shown some inconsitency and that his chin (Terry Smith and McCLine) might give into a big puncher. A Klitschko, Peters, or a Corey Sanders would easly KO him.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
I recon that the highly skilled and desperate fighter is IBRAGIMOV he is just fearless and has got the best school and this mans spirit he doesn’t care how big is his opponent, with Ray Austin he shows very good fight even it was draw. I believe he’ll be a champion soon. Lyacovich is very strong fighter as well.
Anyway There are 2 fights in one month with Klichko and another with Lyahovich. We will see.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
As soon as Valuev meets a fast, accurate, hard hitting heavy weight, he will disappear. Barrett impressed me with his guts and heart, but that is not enough. Like the Priest said, "Okay, I will pray for him, but it would help if he could punch!"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
roysclockgun said:
As soon as Valuev meets a fast, accurate, hard hitting heavy weight, he will disappear. Barrett impressed me with his guts and heart, but that is not enough. Like the Priest said, "Okay, I will pray for him, but it would help if he could punch!"
Thats true.He is not fast enough.But with 150 kg not easy to be fast=)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
I am speaking of relative speed. I would not expect Valuev to throw punches as fast as many good light weight boxers. But, my goodness, the judges were using an hour glass to time Valuev's punches.
Also, Valuev did not have good accuracy, even after Barrett was exhausted from having Valuev lean on him in the clinches.
An accurate punching heavy weight who can stay away from Valuev's ponderous assaults will likely cut him up and win by TKO. Beyond the great size, Valuev simply does not exhibit many boxing talents. I do give him credit for not showing any signs of tiring, but then he did not move that much either, so why should he have gotten tired?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,108 Posts
I think we are examining him to much. We are pointing out every little flaw down to his back hair. If we did this with all the other top 25 heavyweights it would sound just as bad. Klistchko,Brock, Peter, Toney all have flaws.

The fact is he won, he wins. And in the current heavyweight division they all have multiple flaws & weaknesses. thats what makes the fights fun. They are almost all picke m fights in the HW diviision.

Ruiz went for years winning ugly & clinching and seemin to have not many skills. So why cant Valuev? I much rather watch Valuev than Ruiz.

Give him a break since we do with all the other heavyweights.
 
1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Top