Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By Mark Vester

It appears a rematch between "Contender" star Brian Vera and middleweight prospect Andy Lee is not going to happen, according to Vera's promoter Jeff Wald, who sees no reason for Vera to fight Lee again.

Lee, regarded as one of the best prospects in the sport, was stopped by Vera in the seventh round of their televised contest on March 21. Emanuel Steward, manager and trainer of Lee, had told various media outlets that rematch was being worked on for a July date. Wald told boxing scribe Dan Rafael that a rematch had no chance of taking place.

"Not a chance on God's earth," Wald said. "No reason to. Lee doesn't mean anything. There is no upside to a rematch. There are better fights out there for Brian. There are more meaningful opponents. I'm very proud of what Brian did because nobody gave him a chance. Why should we do a rematch? What for? There's better money elsewhere."

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Haha well I can see this from a few points of view. Vera doesn’t want to fight the guy again cause if he loses then the first match didn’t mean ****. I know how bad Lee wants this fight to happen because he knows (and I know) he was the better fighter and was just unlucky. From my own point of view I think Vera knows he would get beat and he should probably retire right know seeing as this is the only big win he will ever get in his career.

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He wont retire till he gets a few more bigger pay days now that he beat a good prospect.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Well I was being sarcastic but I dont see him getting a big pay day. Everyone who watched that fight knows it was a fluke and no one is gonna pay him big money to fight. At least I hope not.

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I was being sarcastic but I dont see him getting a big pay day. Everyone who watched that fight knows it was a fluke and no one is gonna pay him big money to fight. At least I hope not.
He knows that he isnt getting Big Money. Hes looking for More Money

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
It wasn't a fluke. A guy beat an overhyped guy who makes 5 mistakes per second. I see no need for a rematch personally. Handle you business the first time.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
It wasn't a fluke. A guy beat an overhyped guy who makes 5 mistakes per second. I see no need for a rematch personally. Handle you business the first time.
NO, you prefer your guys to beat them first then rematch them. :laugh:

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh thats right we are still calling Lee overhyped in here. Guess I'll check back in a year.
Almost forgot that you were sensitive when it comes to Lee.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
The kid had a setback.

I could name a lot of fighters it happened to. Marvin Hagler and Bernard Hopkins to name two.

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The kid had a setback.

I could name a lot of fighters it happened to. Marvin Hagler and Bernard Hopkins to name two

And thats probably why Manny still thinks that hes gonna be a Hall Of Fame fighter.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
The kid had a setback.

I could name a lot of fighters it happened to. Marvin Hagler and Bernard Hopkins to name two.
I know your just using an example. But never, ever use Lee name in association with Hagler and Hopkins again

·
Registered
175 Posts
kids got a long way to go...hes got great potential but alls he has to do is live up to it...and only time will tell

·
Boxings Own Living Legend
8,579 Posts
Haha well I can see this from a few points of view. Vera doesn’t want to fight the guy again cause if he loses then the first match didn’t mean ****. I know how bad Lee wants this fight to happen because he knows (and I know) he was the better fighter and was just unlucky. From my own point of view I think Vera knows he would get beat and he should probably retire right know seeing as this is the only big win he will ever get in his career.
Vera kicked Lee's butt Lee was overmatched Manny didnt do his homework those texas boys are for real

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
It wasn't that important anyways. Who cares if they rematch or not? LOL Seriously...
I wouldn't mind seing it again on FNF. not because I think either is especially great but I found the fight really intertaining. and for Lee's sake he has to avenge his loss becuase it really sets him back. I don't blam Vera for not wanting the rematch though, Lee is only known because of Manny's high praise. I wouldn't be interested in fighting him again either.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts