Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

No Brian Vera-Andy Lee Rematch

3K views 68 replies 13 participants last post by  prettyboywho 
#1 ·
By Mark Vester

It appears a rematch between "Contender" star Brian Vera and middleweight prospect Andy Lee is not going to happen, according to Vera's promoter Jeff Wald, who sees no reason for Vera to fight Lee again.

Lee, regarded as one of the best prospects in the sport, was stopped by Vera in the seventh round of their televised contest on March 21. Emanuel Steward, manager and trainer of Lee, had told various media outlets that rematch was being worked on for a July date. Wald told boxing scribe Dan Rafael that a rematch had no chance of taking place.

"Not a chance on God's earth," Wald said. "No reason to. Lee doesn't mean anything. There is no upside to a rematch. There are better fights out there for Brian. There are more meaningful opponents. I'm very proud of what Brian did because nobody gave him a chance. Why should we do a rematch? What for? There's better money elsewhere."

#2 ·
Haha well I can see this from a few points of view. Vera doesn’t want to fight the guy again cause if he loses then the first match didn’t mean ****. I know how bad Lee wants this fight to happen because he knows (and I know) he was the better fighter and was just unlucky. From my own point of view I think Vera knows he would get beat and he should probably retire right know seeing as this is the only big win he will ever get in his career.

#18 ·
Vera kicked Lee's butt Lee was overmatched Manny didnt do his homework those texas boys are for real

#7 ·
It wasn't a fluke. A guy beat an overhyped guy who makes 5 mistakes per second. I see no need for a rematch personally. Handle you business the first time.
NO, you prefer your guys to beat them first then rematch them. :laugh:

#19 · (Edited)
I wouldn't mind seing it again on FNF. not because I think either is especially great but I found the fight really intertaining. and for Lee's sake he has to avenge his loss becuase it really sets him back. I don't blam Vera for not wanting the rematch though, Lee is only known because of Manny's high praise. I wouldn't be interested in fighting him again either.

#23 ·
So the way to beat a Steward-trained fighter is to throw wildly? Carlos Maussa sure had success with that when he knocked out Vivian Harris. Steward needs to step his game up because lately he's been losing high profile fights. He's becomming Buddy McGirt. Perhaps it's his affiliations with the MH Gang which is clouding his better judgements.

#25 ·
Stewrad has also done the lad a major disservice the way he has gone about his business. Talking about fights with Kelly Pavlik and hall of fame is not what a young prospect with 16 fights needs to be hearing.

He's made himself look a complete twat.

#31 ·
Hagler lost early in his career and got revenge. It was also highly disupted and he didnt get knocked out. HOpkins lost his first fight, just like juan manuel marquez, antwon echols and rafael marquez. Thats hardly a set back. Andy lee had a showcase fight against an easy opponent and got knocked out. He wasnt by any means dominating the action, it was back and forth through out the fight. He should of finished vera off when he had the chance if he really could. He got exposed. and he'll never be a top fighter. Its not the trainer that makes the fighter either. He could have any trainer in the world. he still would of lost that fight.

#47 ·
Yeah I picked Lee because he was fighting VERA. I even made the comment that they should have just thrown Miguel Hernandez in there if they wanted such a gimme fight!! And look who WON.

Seriously though...Lee could be ok if he threw more than one punch at a time and brought that left back quicker. He has power, but his defense is terrible and his one punch mentality doesn't cut it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.