Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 219 Posts

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We may have seen the end of Bernard Hopkins last weekend. After his dominating win over Kelly Pavlik, Hopkins told BoxingScene.com's Jose "OnFire" Aguirre that his only motivation to continue fighting was to land the winner of the November 8 bout between Roy Jones Jr. and Joe Calzaghe. Calzaghe, who won a close decision over Hopkins in April, said that he was not interested in a Hopkins rematch and would not even consider the fight.

Jones has followed the lead of Calzaghe. He won a unanimous decision over Hopkins 15-years-ago and while the rematch was discussed about 20 times over the years, it just simply may never happen. Seaking with the father of BoxingScene, Tim Smith, at the Kingsway Gym in Manhattan, Jones was pretty serious when stating that no matter what Hopkins or the people say - there will be no rematch.

"I don't care what people say, I'm not fighting him," Jones said. "They can ask all they want. I'm through with him."

According to Jones, Hopkins turned down $8 million for a rematch back in 2001. He also spoke to Jones about a rematch in 2006, but Jones called it a ploy to land the fight with Tarver.

"After that I told him we were through," Jones said. "I told him that I wasn't going to ever fight him. I don't see how it's ever going to work out."

Jones did praise Hopkins for his win over Pavlik and said that he wasn't surprised by it.

"I thought he fought a brilliant fight," said Jones. "I wasn't surprised. Kelly Pavlik didn't have any experience. He hadn't fought anybody except Jermain Taylor. Kelly Pavlik didn't belong in the ring with someone with the kind of experience that Bernard Hopkins has." Source: Roy Jones Jr. - "Hopkins Can Forget a Rematch!" - Boxing News

Update 11-11-08

Bernard Hopkins has no interest in staging a rematch with Roy Jones Jr. He sat ringside at New York's Madison Square Garden and watched Jones take a beating at the hands of Joe Calzaghe. Jones won a decision over Hopkins fifteen-years ago and there was hope by both that a rematch could happen at some point in 2009, but the rematch was riding on a Jones win. Hopkins thought Jones looked terrible, old and feels that retirement is in order.

"I've never seen Roy look like that. He just didn't look healthy. I don't know if he wasn't feeling good, but he didn't look good. Physically he looked old. He face was shrunken. It looked like that against Trinidad. He just didn't look strong," Hopkins told boxing scribe Tim Smith of The New York Daily News. "I don't want to fight Roy, not after (Saturday) night. What's the point?"

Jones calls himself "Superman." Hopkins told Smith the Superman era is over because Jones' reflexes are no longer there to perform in the manner that created the Superman nickname.

"The things that he was able to do because he was Superman he can't do them anymore,"Hopkins said. "And those were the things that awed us with him - the fact that he didn't throw a jab and follow it and that he could throw that lead right from across the ring and land because he had such good reflexes -are the things that he can't do any more."

"Because he could do that and get away with it he never learned the basics. And when you get older and your legs go and you're not as fast as you once were that's what you go back to is the basics. He can't go back to it because he never learned the basics."

Hopkins doesn't think Jones has it anymore to be a force at any weight. He hopes his longtime rival will hang up the gloves and walk away before suffering a serious injury.

"I just hope Roy doesn't hustle his name and let them pimp him out. This is a cruel business," Hopkins said. "I think Roy should just roll out. I don't think he has the physical and mental ability to fight at any weight class - middleweight, super middleweight, light heavyweight, heavyweight. I think it's a wrap." Source: Hopkins: "No Interest in Jones Rematch, Roy Must Quit" - Boxing News

·
Premium Member
9,456 Posts
We may have seen the end of Bernard Hopkins last weekend. After his dominating win over Kelly Pavlik, Hopkins told BoxingScene.com's Jose "OnFire" Aguirre that his only motivation to continue fighting was to land the winner of the November 8 bout between Roy Jones Jr. and Joe Calzaghe. Calzaghe, who won a close decision over Hopkins in April, said that he was not interested in a Hopkins rematch and would not even consider the fight.

Jones has followed the lead of Calzaghe. He won a unanimous decision over Hopkins 15-years-ago and while the rematch was discussed about 20 times over the years, it just simply may never happen. Seaking with the father of BoxingScene, Tim Smith, at the Kingsway Gym in Manhattan, Jones was pretty serious when stating that no matter what Hopkins or the people say - there will be no rematch.

"I don't care what people say, I'm not fighting him," Jones said. "They can ask all they want. I'm through with him."

According to Jones, Hopkins turned down $8 million for a rematch back in 2001. He also spoke to Jones about a rematch in 2006, but Jones called it a ploy to land the fight with Tarver.

"After that I told him we were through," Jones said. "I told him that I wasn't going to ever fight him. I don't see how it's ever going to work out."

Jones did praise Hopkins for his win over Pavlik and said that he wasn't surprised by it.

"I thought he fought a brilliant fight," said Jones. "I wasn't surprised. Kelly Pavlik didn't have any experience. He hadn't fought anybody except Jermain Taylor. Kelly Pavlik didn't belong in the ring with someone with the kind of experience that Bernard Hopkins has." Source: Roy Jones Jr. - "Hopkins Can Forget a Rematch!" - Boxing News
Yeeeeah it seems like it's time for my boy Hopkins to retire after a wonderful career. He has nothing else to prove. He proved he's one of the greatest of our time and in history. He's among the top 5 in the best 40+ fighters of all-time and is one of the best defensive fighters ever. He will go down in history as a man who constantly proved the media and the haters wrong, while never dodging a fight. A man with a heart of a warrior and a mind of a general. I want to see him fight again, but this is the best time for him to go. I respect RJ so I can't really diss him ,but I really wanted to see this fight happen again.

·
aka Dr. Real
8,103 Posts
Yea as an RJ fan I wanted this fight to get off. But I heard RJ wanted to go back up to the HW division for one last hurrah so we'll see. Hopefully RJ will at least consider it after he beats Calzaghe. It is what it is. B-Hop had a wonderful career and is a SURE HOFer and is a living legend. He's an ATG that will be missed and his love affar with the media will come soon enough. The media will love and appreciate B-Hop after he's gone from the game 10-15+ years.

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
Roy could still come round IMO. Especially when he sees the money that can be made.

·
Boxings Own Living Legend
8,579 Posts

One thing is for certain When Bernard Hopkins does retire he will be remembered as a REAL LIVING LEGEND!! Who fought everyone ducked no one. Slappy and Roidy can claim all they want about how great they are and what theyve done but,to quote the immortal words of Larry Holmes,NEITHER are fit to carry Bernard Hopkins jockstrap.
Both have the chance to prove they are what they claim by meeting Bernard, but say what they want BOTH know that they cannot beat Bernard.
My opinion and nothing short of show of courage from slappy & Roidy will change my mind

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
One thing is for certain When Bernard Hopkins does retire he will be remembered as a REAL LIVING LEGEND!! Who fought everyone ducked no one. Slappy and Roidy can claim all they want about how great they are and what theyve done but,to quote the immortal words of Larry Holmes,NEITHER are fit to carry Bernard Hopkins jockstrap.
Both have the chance to prove they are what they claim by meeting Bernard, but say what they want BOTH know that they cannot beat Bernard.
My opinion and nothing short of show of courage from slappy & Roidy will change my mind
LOL Roy has achieved just as much :laugh::laugh:.

·
8,579 Posts
LOL Roy has achieved just as much :laugh::laugh:.
Total and utter BS Roy ducked too many genuine opponents to fight off duty cops and garbage collectors. He NEVER fought outside the US
His excuse BooHoo I got robbed in the olympics so I'll only fight at home ROFL And I'm only just gettin started LOL

G

·
Hopkins needs to retire. Maybe it's just me but I won't be impressed if Hopkins dominates RJ if they were to ever fight again. That win over Pavlik CAN NOT be topped. Go out on top like a real champion.

·
Premium Member
9,456 Posts
Hopkins needs to retire. Maybe it's just me but I won't be impressed if Hopkins dominates RJ if they were to ever fight again. That win over Pavlik CAN NOT be topped. Go out on top like a real champion.
I mos def agree :thumbsup:

·
8,579 Posts

·
Spike Spiegel
7,078 Posts
If Roy beats Calzaghe, then Hopkins-Roy Jones WILL happen. We're talking guarantee of $10m each for these guys, this fight will do big numbers aswell. It's the fight everyone wants to see and it's one of the few superfights still remaining.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
OK Pin back your ears LOL

Nigel Benn.
Gerald McClellan.
Darius M

Theres 3 off the top of my head;)
McClellan never weighed more than 165 in his entire career, and this was only once against Benn and we all know what happened there. You can't duck someone who isn't in your weight class. Daarius M pulled out of a fight with roy and roy was forced to face clinton woods instead. I'm not sure about benn, but I serously doubt it.

Whether RJ ducked guys or not, I don't really know. Either way, I'm more impressed with Hopkins' resume.
Wins over Oscar and Tito are his biggest wins, they dont mean much to me.

Both have the chance to prove they are what they claim by meeting Bernard, but say what they want BOTH know that they cannot beat Bernard.My opinion and nothing short of show of courage from slappy & Roidy will change my mind
Actually, they both have.....

Total and utter BS Roy ducked too many genuine opponents to fight off duty cops and garbage collectors. He NEVER fought outside the US
His excuse BooHoo I got robbed in the olympics so I'll only fight at home ROFL And I'm only just gettin started LOL
Bernard only fought once outside of the states, that was in ecuador against mercado I which he clearly won imo. Guess what he got a draw. Ya know what? He never fought outside the states again. So before you start accusing fighters you hate of doing stuff, maybe you should do some research on the people you defend because BHop has the same story. And Jones vs South Korea was a much bigger win and robbery ( want the punch states ) than BHop over Mercado.

1 - 20 of 219 Posts