Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I subscribe to 'Boxing News' Magazine, and love it, great articles, great fight write ups; everything you could want as a boxing fan! But over the last six months there's been a letter or article about UFC, either people saying they prefer it to boxing or its taking over from boxing. I've watched it once and thought it was awful, a slightly better version of WWE (minus the acting!) But it'll never be a replacement for boxing, it's not a sport, fighters aren't matched technically or through ability. I just wanted to know what everyone thinks! Any of you watch it? Like it? I personally think it's crap and wish people would stop going on about it!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
i am an avid fight fan. boxing ufc pride, anything that is real, not the wwe. it is a sport and they are matched on skills and ability. people just dont show up and fight. they train hard, just as hard as boxers. i prefer boxing over mma. the build up for the fights are great. but comparing mma to boxing is like apples and oranges. this is a totally different ballgame. it is less dangerous than boxing. yeah you might wind up with a broken bone, but when u get rocked, u can clinch, in boxing if u clinch, the ref steps in and u are right back in the line of fire. we have all seen to many boxer not be able to carry on a conversation that make any sense. dont knock me for watching it, i am a boxing fan first, but i do love to watch mma. the reason this keeps coming up is because there are hardly any boxers that the average person knows. old boxing fans that have shunned it for the ufc, bodog pride say that boxing is getting to political and corrupt. mma is not going away anytime soon. just have to live with it and watch, maybe understand it a little better, u may like it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mixed Martial Arts is as much of a sport as boxing, wrestling, football, baseball or anything else. Saying anything less of it really just sounds silly or even bitter. Is the UFC encroaching on boxing's turf? Maybe. Can they cooexist as so many other sports have? Absolutely.

MMA is a bit more real to how a fight in the real world might turn out. If you get caught and fall down there's no 10 second count, the other guy is probably going to be on you before you hit the ground. If you clinch when you're tired you won't get broken up, but prepare to eat some knees to the gut. To win you need to be able to fight on your feet, knees, back, stomach and any other position your find yourself in. They train hard, they study their opponents, and they fight like demons.

A Boxer is a someone who knows how to fight and should not be messed with.

An Mixed Martial Artist is someone who knows how to fight and should not be messed with.

They are both wonderful sports that the world should take notice of. Period.

·
Registered
318 Posts
IMO boxing is not losing any fans to UFC or any of the other Mixed Martial Arts organizations. I will clarify my position. I consider a fan to be someone who spends time and/or $$ in order to view and/or participate in a sport on a regular basis. For instance, if you tune in every week to watch "The Ultimate Fighter" you are probably a UFC fan and will probably purchase a PPV or 2. If you watch Wednesday/Friday Night Fights you are probably a boxing fan and will purchase a PPV or 2. I doubt that there are many boxing fans who decided not to get PBF vs DLH in order to save money for the next UFC PPV.

In my case, I love both. It seems to me that fans who love the technical aspect of boxing enjoy MMA less than someone such as myself who enjoys the swarmers/brawlers.

The UFC has done a great job in generating the interest of the non-fans. A non-fan is someone who paid for the Holyfield/Tyson II PPV but didn't see another fight until PBF/DLH. Non-fan is a very important part of any sport but overall is only watching because his/her friends are watching and they require a temporary but entertaining distraction from their everyday life. My point is that boxing is currently not attracting non-fan and the UFC is. The UFC will probably pinnacle in a year or 2 and non-fan will move on to Beta Fish Fighting Championships.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I get what you're all saying, maybe I was a bit harsh on UFC, I confess I haven't given it much of a chance, it seems a bit theatrical to me, cage fights and stuff, just doesn't seem like a very serious sport, maybe, as you've said, I give it a bit more of a go I could get to appreciate it.... any advice on who too look out for? decent bouts comign up? Cheers

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Well i heard UFC 75 champion vs champion was going to free on spike tv but that might just be a rumor. If you arent a fan but want to watch try to download some of it or like i said wait for the free ppv they pop up every now and then

·
Registered
146 Posts
Here's the ultimate analogy about boxing vs MMA that will end all debate

ahemmm.... *cough ...*cough.....

Comparing boxing to mma is like comparing the 100 meter dash to the decathlon

The person who wins the 100 meter dash in the Olympics is usually the fastest human on earth the person who wins the decathlon is usually the most well rounded athlete on earth

Arguing which is better is subjective and pointless, training to be excellent at many things or training to be great at one thing both require huge amounts of time and skill.

Thank you

*bows*

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
goju-joe said:
Here's the ultimate analogy about boxing vs MMA that will end all debate

ahemmm.... *cough ...*cough.....

Comparing boxing to mma is like comparing the 100 meter dash to the decathlon

The person who wins the 100 meter dash in the Olympics is usually the fastest human on earth the person who wins the decathlon is usually the most well rounded athlete on earth

Arguing which is better is subjective and pointless, training to be excellent at many things or training to be great at one thing both require huge amounts of time and skill.

Thank you

*bows*

couldn´t say better myself ;)

·
Registered
17 Posts
k read this and you'll understand the difference between mma and boxing....i'm gonnga keep posting it until boxing fans finally understand mma....doesnt mean who have to like it but at least get some decent knowledge on it....

O.K. guys i know many of you boxing fans are gonna hate me here....but boxers and their fans need to learn how to respect mma. there's so much trash talking bullshit about how a boxer would beat up a guy in mma. i give respect for boxers...i am a fan but from doing both boxing and mma there is such a slim chance that a boxer would win against a mixed martial artist. boxing is only limited to one style: punching....and ya they definatley do have way better hands than any mma competitor out there. that being said, thats all a boxer has...put him in a ring against a well rounded martial artist and he will get reamed....first of all there's kick defense...boxing stance is bunk to protect from a leg kick...a boxer would never get in close enough to be able to land a punch before his leg is taken out from a muay thai kick...or a liver shot from a front kick....then theres take down defense....obviously a boxer has none and can't defend himself from a wrestler...look at the fight between Ali and Inoki....originally it was to be a no holds barred fight....but ali watched Inoki wrestle and knew he couldn't stand a chance against him so he changed the rules to striking only. Inoki only shot in with leg kicks so he wouldn't get punched. Ali only threw 6 punches...and even though it was a "worked fight", Ali left without a press conference and suffered damage to his legs as a result of Inoki's repeated leg kicks. Boxers like Oscar DelaHoya and Roy Jones Junior are even advocates of mma stating that they would be ruined by a mixed martial artist. Boxer's are not versed in submissions either and would tap at the thought of an armbar, omaplata, or rear naked choke. For all of you who think that mma has a bunch of quitters because they tap and don't finish fight like boxers do...it's different circumstances: if you are caught in a submission your arm/leg/spine can become so damaged if you do not tap, you can lose mobility forever and there goes your career.

MMA may seem barbaric and not have as much noble history as boxing, but we clearly see mma being held at the anciet greece olympic along side boxing. It was a form of free fighting called pankration, where the only rules were no biting, fish hooking or eye gouging...much like mma today. The fight would be won by submissions/chokes/fist strikes causing knockouts. It is the 2500 year old predecessor to modern mixed martial arts competition. modern mma does not allow standing counts as boxing does...repeated standups can lead to brain damage as you see with many boxers, and as soon as someone is struck and can no longer defend themselves mma referees stop the fight before risking brain damage. For those of you who think kicking is for pussies, a proper kick generates more power than a punch....longer limb, more leverage from using larger muscle groups, and stronger bones in the leg leads to less injury than a punch and therefore kicks are able to be performed over and over without the risk of breaking a hand. And yes....many fighters do break they're hands in mma and DO finsish the fight like a champ...middleweight champion rich frankling broke his hand in the first round during a title defense and went 4 more 5 minute rounds before winning the fight, plus it's easier to do so as the gloves only weigh 4 ounces.

i'm not trying to rag on boxing...i love boxing and always will, but please have knowledge and consideration before commenting on mixed martial arts...what i feel as someone who has done some boxing and is currently a mixed martial artist is a lack of respect for martial arts...it's like if someone came on this forum and said that they thought tyson was the greatest boxer around and could take ali and is still the current champ.....ignorence and arrogance....it goes hand in hand

·
Registered
101 Posts
Too much man on man touching in mma:cheeky4: . Grapeling is boring to me I like striking. K1 is pretty fun to watch, but I will always like boxing the most....

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
WHY THE **** DO YOU EVEN CARE WHAT WE THINK????

If mma is so much ******* better than boxing than you dont need to tell us. I love mma but i love boxing more but what i dont love is you trying to force youre thought on other people. Let us live in the past, and drown in our stupidity and ignorance meanwhile you can have so much fun watching mma and laughing at us stupid boxing fans. Plz leave and never comeback why all know mma take skills but some of us thinks that it takes more skills to be a great boxer than a great in mma thats just the way it is and will be.

Again if you are so confident you wouldnt be on boxinf forums doing this

·
Registered
17 Posts
Brutus said:

If mma is so much ******* better than boxing than you dont need to tell us. I love mma but i love boxing more but what i dont love is you trying to force youre thought on other people. Let us live in the past, and drown in our stupidity and ignorance meanwhile you can have so much fun watching mma and laughing at us stupid boxing fans. Plz leave and never comeback why all know mma take skills but some of us thinks that it takes more skills to be a great boxer than a great in mma thats just the way it is and will be.

man...i'm on here because i hate getting shat on all the time by boxing fanatics who don't know **** about mma....ok...maybe some of you guys do know about it and still don't like it...i'm cool with that..but what i'm not cool with is the predjudice ignorance martial artists endure on a daily basis...it's not cool man...especially that last guy with that homophobic statement that grappling is too much man on man action? wtf is that ****...that is such a homophobic statement and sickens me as some of my friends are gay

·
Registered
101 Posts
Oh does it sicken you little boy? Grow a pair. My brother is gay but it still grosses me out to see two guys kissing I guess I am a homophobe! I better tell my brother to stay home for the holidays since im such a gay basher! I'll go put on tights and rub up against another man will that make you feel better?

·
Registered
17 Posts
yes yes it would

·
Registered
326 Posts
Let's hope this thread doesn't get locked. A discussion on this topic should remain open as it deals with all competetive combat sports including "The Sweet Science".

SouthLondonLad said:
I subscribe to 'Boxing News' Magazine, and love it, great articles, great fight write ups; everything you could want as a boxing fan! But over the last six months there's been a letter or article about UFC, either people saying they prefer it to boxing or its taking over from boxing.
Let's call the sport by it's real name. MMA (Mixed Martial Arts). The UFC is the #1 Organization in the World for MMA, but is not the sport itself.

-Is MMA replacing Boxing? No. Boxing isn't going anywhere.
-Is MMA becoming more popular than Boxing? Yes, it is and has.
-Is MMA becoming more popular at the expense of Boxing? No. The fans of Boxing are NOT defecting in record numbers, therefore MMA is No Threat To Boxing. The two sports can co-exist, and they will co-exist. In fact, most MMArtists have an intense respect for Boxing as no one is better with the hands than Boxing. A lot of top MMArtists seek out top Boxing trainers to work on their hands to add that skill to their arsenal.

SouthLondonLad said:
I've watched it once and thought it was awful, a slightly better version of WWE (minus the acting!)
Why was it awful? Perhaps it wasn't awful but it simply wasn't your cup of tea or perhaps you didn't understand what is taking place in the match. If you don't understand the complexities of ground positioning, submission locks, judo slams, Thai Boxing, elbow & knee strikes, then perhaps your distaste is fueled by a lack of understanding the game that encompasses what you saw. Perhaps you had a prejudice before you even watched the event. Perhaps you saw a bad show-as can happen anywhere. We've all seen some shitty Boxing promotions before. Could you elaborate?

SouthLondonLad said:
But it'll never be a replacement for boxing, it's not a sport,
You couldn't be more wrong. MMA is a sport. You can't get more sport than this. It has offense, defense, it has World Class Athletes and Olympic Champions, it has extremely well conditioned fighters, game plans, execution, etc.

SouthLondonLad said:
...fighters aren't matched technically or through ability.
I am not sure what you are saying here but you are wrong. Have you ever seen Karo Parysian vs Diego Sanchez? Frankie Edgar versus Tyson Griffin? Fedor Emelianenko versus Mirko Filipovic? Or watch Rich Franklin systematically shut down David Loiseau with wrestling defense and solid Boxing?
What are you basing this assumption on? You just said you watched it once and your posting this conclusion? You've pretty much acknowledged you don't know anything about it yet you are trying to explain to others what it's about? Come on now. You know better than this.

SouthLondonLad said:
I just wanted to know what everyone thinks! Any of you watch it? Like it? I personally think it's crap and wish people would stop going on about it!!
I watch it, I love it. It shows us a much wider range of combat than just your hands attacking the upper torso of your opponant. Nothing against that, but it merely offers something different. You can like both like me, I don't get why so many people act like you can only like one.

·
Registered
326 Posts
SouthLondonLad said:
I get what you're all saying, maybe I was a bit harsh on UFC, I confess I haven't given it much of a chance, it seems a bit theatrical to me, cage fights and stuff, just doesn't seem like a very serious sport, maybe, as you've said, I give it a bit more of a go I could get to appreciate it.... any advice on who too look out for? decent bouts comign up? Cheers
Sure. Here is 11 of the UFC's current Top Stars:
SI.com - Photo Gallery - UFC's Top Stars

Here is 10 of the UFC's potential Future and Upcoming Stars:
SI.com - Photo Gallery - UFC Future Stars

Brutus said:
Well i heard UFC 75 champion vs champion was going to free on spike tv but that might just be a rumor. If you arent a fan but want to watch try to download some of it or like i said wait for the free ppv they pop up every now and then
Yes, UFC 75 will be FREE on SpikeTV for September 8th, 2007. Here is the Fight Card:

UFC 75: SEPTEMBER 8, 2007 IN LONDON, ENGLAND

-Quinton Jackson (#2 Light Heavyweight in the World)* vs. Dan Henderson (#4 Light Heavyweight in the World)*
-Mirko Cro Cop (#3 Heavyweight in the World)* vs. Cheick Kongo
-Michael Bisping vs. Matt Hamill
-Houston Alexander vs. Alessio Sakara
-Marcus Davis vs. Paul Taylor
-Jess Liaudin vs. Anthony Johnson
-Gleison Tibau vs. Terry Etim
-Dennis Siver vs. TBA

Main card airs via tape delay on Spike TV on Saturday, September 8th at 9:00 PM (ET/PT)

* Based on MMAWeekly World MMA Rankings

MMA WEEKLY - Your #1 Source for Daily MMA News, Interviews, Multimedia, and More

·
Registered
326 Posts
traf_quake said:
k read this and you'll understand the difference between mma and boxing....i'm gonnga keep posting it until boxing fans finally understand mma....doesnt mean who have to like it but at least get some decent knowledge on it....
I understand what you are saying, but posting this isn't going to win people over. It can be viewed as an attack, and putting someone on the defensive isn't going to help your cause. It would be better to explain MMA in a way where you aren't comparing it to Boxing. They don't need to be compared to help increase knowledge.

Brutus said:

See? I'd suggest you (traf_quake) work on your delivery. You aren't helping by offending people that you are trying to gain respect from.

·
Registered
17 Posts
JohnnySparta said:
I understand what you are saying, but posting this isn't going to win people over. It can be viewed as an attack, and putting someone on the defensive isn't going to help your cause. It would be better to explain MMA in a way where you aren't comparing it to Boxing. They don't need to be compared to help increase knowledge.

See? I'd suggest you (traf_quake) work on your delivery. You aren't helping by offending people that you are trying to gain respect from.

no i know i came off pretty harsh...but i'm just so fed up with being looked down on just because i'm an mma fighter and prefer it over boxing....like people comparing it to wwe....like.....just gets me riled up

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
this thread will be stickyed to the top of the page, any other threads started on MMA will be deleted so even if its an article it should be posted in here instead of wasting valuable thread space on sub par sport like MMA!!

i cant beleive anyone can watch these cavemen!!

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Tommy wtf? how can anyone be that ignorant? You are pretty much just confirming what the mma fans are saying about us we are stuck in the past. Its ok that we dont like watching it but saying they are cavemens and whatever well what can i say :S im kinda speechless.

1 - 20 of 135 Posts