Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Carl King, manager of Ricardo Mayorga, has informed BoxingScene.com of ongoing talks between Golden Boy Promotions and Don King Productions for a fight with "Sugar" Shane Mosley at a Las Vegas venue in May. Steve Kim has heard the date of May 17, at the Mandalay Bay, being thrown around on the Golden Boy end.

At the present, there is no agreement on the weight. King would like it to be at 154-pounds. Mayorga last fought at 166-pounds against Fernando Vargas, and has not made 147 since 2003. Mosley last fought at 147, but appears to be just as comfortable at 154. King says the weight class is not important, he's focused on securing this fight.

"We are having talks. Ricardo has not made 147 in a long time, but he swears he can make 147. My gut feeling is 154-pounds (for the fight). I feel he's at his best at 154 and that's where we want to be. None of these things are a deal breaker. We want the big fights and we won't let some technicality come between the big picture," King said.

Not signed but looks promising, just a place to talk about it. I think it'll be a VERY exciting fight with mosley taking the W.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mayorga is always a dangerous fight for anyone imo, some will disagree however. I think at 154, he gives all of them trouble, he may not win all of them but he'll be trouble.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This would be great if we could get forrest vs spinks on the undercard and have the winners face off.

·
Wet Beaver Bandit
5,334 Posts
damn, I feel kinda separated on this one. One half of me wants Mosley to win cause I really hate Mayorga and the other half wants Mayorga to win so FOrrest can get retribution.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Yup but Forrest will beat them both so no worries :D

But i doubt Mosley will come anywhere near Forrest tho.

·
Wet Beaver Bandit
5,334 Posts
Forrest is still a real dangerous fighter. On his best day I'd put him up against about anynone from 147-154. I'd say to 160 but Pavlik would rock his world

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
This is a fight I won't care to see. Mosley needs to hang them up. His last fight was proof of that. No way in his prime would he have gotten beat to the punch by Cotto. He is starting to lose it and should be smart and get out now.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll stick pick mayorga over forrest, forrest will never get that image out of his head. he'll be fighting off anger towards mayorga and that isnt a way to fight.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Mosely is still too good IMO to lose to Mayorga. I like both guys but I just see Mosely picking him apart. Now if he goes in and fights Mayorga toe-to-toe then the outcome could change. Mayorga hasn't shown me anything since he left 147. A win over Piccirillo and a win over Vargone doesn't impress. DLH dominated him from round 1. Tito got his number pretty quick. I just think Shane will be too much.

As for Forrest, I think Mayorga just has his number. It happens and if they fought for a third time I would still pick Mayorga.

·
The Maul Brawling Slugger
1,000 Posts
Hopefully this bout is at 154! Anyways... interesting to note that Vernon Forrest destroyed Shane Mosley TWICE... and Ricardo Mayorga destroyed Vernon Forrest TWICE! Of course... that doesn't mean a goddamn thing but I'm still gonna say that Ricardo Mayorda will win this one by KO in Round 9!!! :D :)

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've always been a fan of mayorga, more so than mosley, but just by a hair. Im excited the fight was made personally, mayorga is never in a boring fight, he even made cory spinks watchable for 12 rounds.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
He also lost credit for 2 knockdowns, which could of been the fight, I personally would of scored the fight for mayorga if the 2 knockdowns would of counted.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Mayorga was damn good at 147. Technically he looked bad but he was just so strong at that weight and when he was in shape he could throw a lot of those bombs in a 12 round span. To me Spinks got a gift that night.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
he did get a gift, he was outworked majorly. Mayorga at 147 was very very hard to beat, even pure boxers struggled to beat him. He is one of, if not the strongest 147 I've ever seen in a long time. Although cotto is damn strong.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts