Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much does the referee really influence the outcome of a fight? I understand, for example, the ref in the Mayweather/Hatton fight was one who would not allow them tying up too much-bad for Hatton. I'm sure there are good/bad ref's just like in any sport.

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
For me a good referee is one that you don't even know is there thru out the hole fight, a nervous referee can ruin a fight by breaking up the fighters too much not allowing in fighting wich might benefit one of them, or stopping a fight to soon ruin it for every body or letting a fight go too long resulting in some body getting killed....

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
For me a good referee is one that you don't even know is there thru out the hole fight, a nervous referee can ruin a fight by breaking up the fighters too much not allowing in fighting wich might benefit one of them, or stopping a fight to soon ruin it for every body or letting a fight go too long resulting in some body getting killed....
I agree 100% :thumbsup:

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
I better fighter who can adapted will win at the end of the day, all refs are different. smoger is the best right now.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
It depends on the ref. There are great refs like Smoger and Lane who know what their job and place is in a fight, and will let the fighters do their thing. But of course, you get refs like Joe Cortez who don't know their job. Cortez won't let fighters do anything on the inside, and he is biased and doesn't understand that some fouls are accidents. Refs like that can change the way a fight goes. Cortez basically ruined all chances of Hatton beating Mayweather in their fight. Forcing them to fight on the outside, and screaming his head off at every little thing. Saying "I had to control the fighters from the start" your not supposed to do that, and that shows what a bad ref is. I don't know why guys like Cortez get work instead of guys like Lane, Smoger, and Mercante. Oh well.

·
Boxings Own Living Legend
8,579 Posts
How much does the referee really influence the outcome of a fight? I understand, for example, the ref in the Mayweather/Hatton fight was one who would not allow them tying up too much-bad for Hatton. I'm sure there are good/bad ref's just like in any sport.
Cortez stopped Hatton from fighting totally very biased refereeing job

1 - 7 of 7 Posts