Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oscar is going to get destroyed by Floyd at 147. He's killing himself to get to 150.

By Jake Donovan

There appears to be confusion at the scales, or perhaps whether or not the Oscar de la Hoya-Steve Forbes announced noontime weigh-in was official. With nothing reported thus far, the only news to come from the scales in Los Angeles, California was that Forbes (33-5, 9KO) made the contracted limit of 150 lb, while de la Hoya (38-5, 30KO) was ½ lb over at 150.5 lb for their fight Saturday night at the Home Depot Center in Carson, CA (HBO, 10PM ET/7PM PT).

It’s standard industry practice for the official weigh-in to take place no sooner than 30 hours prior to the opening bell, which more often than not places such events at or around 5PM ET/2PM PT. It’s possible that today’s nooner at the scales was merely a show for the fans, with the official weigh-in to come at the more conventional time.

The confusion came in when de la Hoya checked in slightly over the limit. He was still just over after removing his socks, and motioned for a towel to be placed in front of him in one last effort to make weight. Before he could perform the censored version of The Full Monty, he was told by Golden Boy Promotions representatives to jump off the scale and pose for the “official” stare down.

The weight contradicts a statement made earlier in the week, when de la Hoya claimed to actually be closer to the official welterweight limit of 147 lb. No news on whether or not he will have to shed the ½ lb in order for the fight to go on as planned, though it’s highly unlikely a fight of this magnitude gets scrapped over such a small discrepancy.

UPDATE: An official press release from Golden Boy Promotions suggests that all fighters on the card made weight. The weights for tomorrow’s evening card are as follows:

MAIN EVENT – CATCHWEIGHT (150 lb.) – 12 ROUNDS
Oscar DE LA HOYA, Los Angeles CA 38-5 (30KO), 150 lb*
Steve FORBES Portland, OR 33-5 (9 KO) 150 lb.

Co-FEATURE –JUNIOR WELTERWEIGHTS - 10 ROUNDS
Victor ORTIZ Oxnard, CA 20-1-1 (15KO) 144 lb
Dairo ESALAS Miami, FL 31-12 (25 KO) 142 lbs

JUNIOR WELTERWEIGHTS - 6 ROUNDS
Danny Oscar GARCIA Philadelphia PA 5-0 (5KO) 144 lb
Manuel BOCANEGRA Ciudad Juarez, MEX 8-8-1 (5 KO) 142 lb

MIDDLEWEIGHTS - 4 ROUNDS
Daniel JACOBS, Brooklyn NY 5-0 (5KO), 163 ¾ lb
Jose PEñA, Kansas City, MO 2-2-1 (2 KO’s) 159 lb

SWING BOUT - JUNIOR WELTERWEIGHTS - 4 ROUNDS
Javier CASTRO, Ciudad Juarez, MEX 15-1 (13KO) 141 ½ lb
Julio GAMBOA, Managua, NIC 26-12-2 (16 KO) 139.5 lbs

JUNIOR WELTERWEIGHTS - 4 ROUNDS
Hector SANCHEZ, San Juan, PR 12-0 (5KO), 141 lb
Arthur BRAMBILA, Phoenix, AZ 9-12 (4 KO) 141 lbs

WELTERWEIGHTS - 8 ROUNDS
Freddy CURIEL, Vernon NJ 18-6-2 (8KO), 151 lb
Sven PARIS, Frosinone, ITA, 23-3 (16 KO), 151 lbs

LIGHTWEIGHTS - 8 ROUNDS
Wes FERGUSON, Las Vegas, NV 17-3-1 (5KO) 135 lb
Miguel MUNGUIA, Mexico City, MEX, 16-11-1 (13 KO) 135 lbs

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Yeah that 3 other pounds is going to kill him. He wanted to get naked at the weighin to make 150. I know oscar looked good but am I only one that noticed that he still looks soft on the sides?

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
There is no way in hell Oscar and Floyd will fight without a title on the line. Oscar is taking ther weight off gradualy which is very smart. He has 3 lbs to go in about 4 months which will not be a problem. 3 lbs is nothing in that time, especialy when his body is not tight. He still has fat on him.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I dont think hes having dificulty making weight. He mad the limit of 150. Its only 3 pounds more too lose if the mayweather rematch was at 147 plus he would gain much weight after the official weigh in. I imagine Oscar would be fighting around 154 come fight time.
I thought oscar looked in terrific shape for the forbes weigh in. Forbes in serious trouble :laugh:

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
I dont think hes having dificulty making weight. He mad the limit of 150. Its only 3 pounds more too lose if the mayweather rematch was at 147 plus he would gain much weight after the official weigh in. I imagine Oscar would be fighting around 154 come fight time.
I thought oscar looked in terrific shape for the forbes weigh in. Forbes in serious trouble :laugh:
Youe damn right mate!

If your watching tonight i'll be on MSN later. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
There is no way in hell Oscar and Floyd will fight without a title on the line. Oscar is taking ther weight off gradualy which is very smart. He has 3 lbs to go in about 4 months which will not be a problem. 3 lbs is nothing in that time, especialy when his body is not tight. He still has fat on him.
Well the P4P title is on the line. Last time out buffer even introduced Floyd as the reigning and defending P4P champ.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Well the P4P title is on the line. Last time out buffer even introduced Floyd as the reigning and defending P4P champ.
True.

But with Floyd and the WBC scratching eachothers backs now i dont see the WBC being passed over for this fight.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah he's having such an easy time that he was 150.5. No trouble at all.
True.

But with Floyd and the WBC scratching eachothers backs now i dont see the WBC being passed over for this fight.
I can't see that either, but I can't see Oscar at 147 at all.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
3ibs in 4 months Shane. That is nothing.
Yeah its nothing if you think Oscar is going to be right back in the gym immediately after this fight and not get up around 160-165 again. Also, its not like he's walking around at 150.5. He drained himself to get there. He'll probably be 158-9 tonight. I'm not saying that he can't do it. Of course he can. I just think he's going to be killing himself in the process, and it will show.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Yeah its nothing if you think Oscar is going to be right back in the gym immediately after this fight and not get up around 160-165 again. Also, its not like he's walking around at 150.5. He drained himself to get there. He'll probably be 158-9 tonight. I'm not saying that he can't do it. Of course he can. I just think he's going to be killing himself in the process, and it will show.
It wont be easy for him but its very managable.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts