Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bonavena was a very strong and powerful contender of the late 60's and into the 70's. He could hit like a truck and was as strong as an ox. He dropped Frazier twice in their fight. While he wasn't the greatest fighter, he was certainly one to be reckoned with. Unfortunately, he met his demise in an alley way. A bullet ended his life.

·
Banned
100 Posts
Bonavena was a very strong and powerful contender of the late 60's and into the 70's. He could hit like a truck and was as strong as an ox. He dropped Frazier twice in their fight. While he wasn't the greatest fighter, he was certainly one to be reckoned with. Unfortunately, he met his demise in an alley way. A bullet ended his life.
Wasn't he shot over some whore at that brothel-cum-ranch in Nevada?

I just put up a Top Ten List for 1968-1978. Oscar Bonavena gets an honorable mention. He was a tough cookie, and would likely have a strap around his waist in today's anemic heavyweight picture. He had his wins and he had his losses. In Frazier's defense, I do have to say that it was his ... what, 12th or 13th fight? He was still rough around the edges, and Bonavena was quite a step up.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not really sure what he was shot over, I've just heard he was shot in an alley. He was one tough costomer and I agree, he'd be a champ today.

·
Banned
1,305 Posts
I'm not really sure what he was shot over, I've just heard he was shot in an alley. He was one tough costomer and I agree, he'd be a champ today.
I never really paid attention to Oscar Bonavena until a while ago. Today I saw the fight between Oscar Bonavena and Joe Frazier in 1966. Frazier at the time of the fight had 11 fights undefeated, with all of his fights coming by way of knockout. Bonavena had previously only been defeated twice. Once by a 7th round disqualification, and then the other loss came from the veteran Zora Folley (I dont remember if the fight ended in a knockout,so mabey somebody could remind me). Bonavena was definately a great fighter, and he took quite a beating from Frazier in their first bout.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts