Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although Ricky Hatton is set to take on the Pound for Pound King in Floyd Mayweather Jr. this Saturday on HBO Pay-Per-View, it hasn't stopped talks for a possible fight with Oscar De La Hoya.

According to a published report by the BBC, Hatton wants to face Oscar De La Hoya in front of 80,000 fans at Wembley next year. The BBC also reports the fight is planned with De La Hoya regardless of how Hatton fares in Las Vegas against Mayweather Jr.

Hatton's lawyer, Gareth Williams was quoted by the BBC in regards to Hatton fighting De La Hoya: "The chances are very strong."

Williams added: "We have strong links with Oscar de la Hoya and Golden Boy Promotions and we've had discussions with them. It would be the perfect venue and we could look at selling in excess of 80,000 tickets."

"Oscar has achieved everything in boxing bar recording the record live gate - and he could achieve that if he fought in the UK against Ricky."

Looks like this fight will happen no matter what. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Yeh, DLH loves breaking records and getting milestones, it will be awesome. I think il get my hands on some tickets for this one..

·
Registered
468 Posts
I read this n all :)

It sounds great to me I know people will say De La Hoya's washed up etc but he's still entertaining imo and any big fights such as this are good for boxing as a whole ;)

·
Registered
468 Posts
LeedsLad said:
Yeh, DLH loves breaking records and getting milestones, it will be awesome. I think il get my hands on some tickets for this one..
......I would but I don't wanna empty out my savings account the cheapest tickets for Calzaghe Vs Kessler were £350.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
What a massive amount of money this fight would make, you have the massive gate from Wembley; 80,000 people. Hatton is a huge draw in the UK, lots of PPV buys on Sky Box Office, then DLH is the huge draw in the US, lots of PPV buys on HBO. This could gross an unbelievable amount of money.

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is a extreamly huge money fight. I guess Oscar wants to show Floyd that HE is still the big draw in boxing.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
prettyboywho said:
This is a extreamly huge money fight. I guess Oscar wants to show Floyd that HE is still the big draw in boxing.
He would too if they fought. And to hold it in an arena??? That would be the ship!

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
KNUCKLE UP said:
He would too if they fought. And to hold it in an arena??? That would be the ship!
Oscar overseas says alot. That has to bring alot of money to the people and not just to the rich ones.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
prettyboywho said:
That comment made ZERO sense. Oscar goes to EUROPE to fight Hatton in front of 80,000 BRITS, and you say that Oscar is the draw? That is crazy. I'll take Hatton against ANYONE overseas.

·
tellin' it like it is
18,612 Posts
prettyboywho said:
it's kind of like big brother showing little brother he still has a ways to go;) but, shane does have a point. floyd/hatton could probably due those numbers across the pond

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Floyd-Ricky would outsell Oscar-Ricky in Europe easily. 50% of the buys are Brits for Ricky and 40% just want to see someone beat the hot head with the rest tuning in rooting for Floyd. I love it.

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
IF this fight happens, I think it will be a better matchup then Floyd/Hatton.

Oscar will make it a slug fest. He'll finally have someone in front of him that he can hit. Only problem is what weight would they be fighting at ?

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
147 supposedly. Oscar said he can still make the weight "comfortably." I can't see that being too comfortable, but I'm sure he can do it. This fight would be all about the money.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
PrettyBoyFloyd said:
Floyd-Ricky would outsell Oscar-Ricky in Europe easily. 50% of the buys are Brits for Ricky and 40% just want to see someone beat the hot head with the rest tuning in rooting for Floyd. I love it.
I disagree. DLH has a way bigger following the Floyd. His PPV's throughout the years prove that. DLH is also very popular in Europe. I say DLH-Hatton would be much bigger then Floyd-Hatton.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Oscars not a jackass like floyd and has balls. Floyd says he would come to england and fight hatton. BULL****. When oscar says he would come to england he would back it up and do so

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
KNUCKLE UP said:
I disagree. DLH has a way bigger following the Floyd. His PPV's throughout the years prove that. DLH is also very popular in Europe. I say DLH-Hatton would be much bigger then Floyd-Hatton.
Man Oscar is far from significant anymore. If Oscar was such a big deal then the fight would be in Vegas and not Europe.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
PrettyBoyFloyd said:
Man Oscar is far from significant anymore. If Oscar was such a big deal then the fight would be in Vegas and not Europe.
If he wanted it to be in Vegas, it would be in Vegas. Oscar is still THE MAN in boxing. He may not be the best anymore but who makes more money then him???? Nobody.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
KNUCKLE UP said:
If he wanted it to be in Vegas, it would be in Vegas. Oscar is still THE MAN in boxing. He may not be the best anymore but who makes more money then him???? Nobody.
exatcly. But i think the fight being in england where this could be massive massive mega bucks

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
KNUCKLE UP said:
Well why do you think he "wants" it to be in Europe? Maybe because there is a LOT more money to be made over there due to Hatton? Yeah that's right.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
PrettyBoyFloyd said:
Well why do you think he "wants" it to be in Europe? Maybe because there is a LOT more money to be made over there due to Hatton? Yeah that's right.
Sure there is big money to be made in Europe, but he would also have his huge fan base from the states. DLH knows exactly what he is doing. He is going world wide. Hell, he is making money off your boy and don't even have a fighter in this fight. Tell me that ain't a smart man?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts