Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oscar De La Hoya may be giving fight fans three reasons to tune in to boxing this year. In an interview with Yahoo's Dave Meltzer, the Golden Boy says he'll fight on May 3rd against an opponent to be determined. The fight could take place on the soccer pitch at Home Depot Center in Carson, CA, which accommodates about 45,000 people, or at the cavernous Estadio Azteca in Mexico City, which held 130,000 for Julio Cesar Chavez-Greg Haugen in 1993. An announcement on De La Hoya's opponent will be made shortly, possibly as soon as next week. De La Hoya's second bout will be a rematch against WBC welterweight champion and pound-for-pound king Floyd Mayweather. In May of last year, Mayweather won a 12 round split-decision in Las Vegas in a fight broke all live gate and pay-per-view sales, helped by a popular HBO documentary in the days and week leading up to the fight. Possible locations for this fight are the MGM Grand in Las Vegas or the Home Depot Center or Dodger Stadium, which seats 56,000 for baseball and could seat thousands more for boxing. The third and final fight in 2008 is slated for December. De La Hoya states that this will be his final bout of his illustrious career. No location or opponent has been mentioned. De La Hoya will likely have the services of trainer Floyd Mayweather, Sr. when he returns on May 3 in a bout which would be televised on HBO.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Wow, so let me get this straight hes fighting in may? and again in september against Floyd and then again in December?

I guess the first fight will be a tune up fight against a lesser opponent and then the last fight will either be Cotto or Hatton me thinks.

·
tellin' it like it is
18,612 Posts
Id laugh my ass off if he lost. :laugh:
i'm hoping your referring to dlh losing and not floyd, tommy. chances are the mayweather fight won't go forward if dlh loses his interim bout. then again, they still may go ahead with the fight:mad:

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
I think that the fight in may will be a easy fight for DLH cause i doubt he will put his paycheck against Floyd on the line, but remember the Sturm fight?

The top dogs in the 154 divison are Vernon Forrest and Cory Spinks and i think both these guys are to much of a risk especially Forrest since you dont really know wich Forrest will show up.

Then we have guys like Zab Judah and Luis Collazo but Zab is fighting Margarito and is Collazo a solid enough opponent?

I cant really see anyone in the jr.ww facing DLH cause i doubt DLH can make 147 these days and i cant see anyone in the jr.ww division giving DLH problem at 154 or 150 but maby thats what DLH wants?

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i'm hoping your referring to dlh losing and not floyd, tommy. chances are the mayweather fight won't go forward if dlh loses his interim bout. then again, they still may go ahead with the fight:mad:
id laugh my ass off if dlh lost in may, pbf would have to fight a contender if that was the case. :D

·
Registered
349 Posts
I was reading about this yesterday .. such nonsense I Really want him to lose I think that would be funny I am sure he will be matched up with someone a little below his size soo he can look impressive soo they can hype up the Mayweather fight more....

·
Registered
349 Posts
But IMO I think he is going to need alot more then a "Tune-up" to beat Mayweather .. He's gonna need a whole new Engine

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Yup who do you think he will face? Im thinkin Collazo? I really cant see a jr.mw he would be willing to face, i would actually pick Forrest to win if they fight and you really cant look impressive against Spinks. What about that Alchine dude? hes undefeated but is he any good? ive never seen him fight. Hey what about Baldomir? that might make some sense.

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
"No opponent has been selected for the May fight, but names under discussion include three junior welterweights, all of whom would give up considerable size to De La Hoya in a bout that would likely take place at about 150 pounds: Steve Forbes, reigning titleholder Paulie Malignaggi and Dmitriy Salita."

I'm hoping he gets to fight someone bigger...hes already bigger than floyd, matching him a jww would be ridiculous...

·
Wet Beaver Bandit
5,334 Posts
if he's gonna fight a jr ww he has to find someone that doesn't care about having another digit in their loss column and just wants a good paycheck.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts