Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone.
What is the best way to compete in the Masters Division, find out more info, get ready for a competition etc?
I am new to boxing. I started taking lessons about 8 months ago. I am 50, but feel pretty young, so I think I'd like to compete if possible. What is the best way to get in touch with people interested in the masters division at my age and experience level.
Thank you very much.
I am in the midwest, Ohio.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Here are two that I look at, but there could be more. My local gym keeps me entertained, for now, so I haven't looked terribly hard. In my next post I'll speak to your original question a bit more.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Everyone.
What is the best way to compete in the Masters Division, find out more info, get ready for a competition etc?
I am new to boxing. I started taking lessons about 8 months ago. I am 50, but feel pretty young, so I think I'd like to compete if possible. What is the best way to get in touch with people interested in the masters division at my age and experience level.
Thank you very much.
I am in the midwest, Ohio.
If you want to compete in the official USA Boxing Masters Division, I'd start with their official web page.

You will see there that you need to get your passport and they will say what goes into that.

However, you don't need to box USA Boxing to compete. At our age, there are plenty of gyms that do internal fight nights and have agreements with other gyms to bring fighters to THEIR fight nights, and so on. It's a great way to get into it.

To get ready for competition, you really need to find a gym that has REALLY GOOD coaches/trainers. You need ones that are all macho about it and throws you to the wolves to "test you out". You want one that will advise you, tell you the straight-truth, and introduce you to boxing and sparring as you are ready. As soon as you are in shape to get through three rounds of an actual fight, you can then do so because someone can be found that is on the same level as you. You don't have to wait until you are awesome, you just need a coach who will match you correctly. Those internal or collaborative fight nights are great for that.

If you find the right gym, they will help you get ready. If you try to train yourself and then go compete, it won't go well for you unless you are just naturally gifted and a once-in-a-generation. It is possible to train yourself, but not until you reach a certain level. I would think you aren't there yet, but that's just my thoughts.

So .... go read the USA Masters site, go to several local gyms and speak to them about what you want to do, and see what they say. You can come back here and tell us and maybe we can help you identify some red flags.

Good luck, and if I didn't answer anything, please let me know!

·
Registered
2 Posts
What is the age for masters division in boxing?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts