Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been looking at all those P4P lists of all time and i noticed that most of the fighters on those list are american so i was wondering what is your list of best fighters not from America.

I will post mine later :D.

But imo Duran is the best :D

·
All-Time Great
158 Posts
Brutus said:
Ive been looking at all those P4P lists of all time and i noticed that most of the fighters on those list are american so i was wondering what is your list of best fighters not from America.

I will post mine later :D.

But imo Duran is the best :D
Duran easily. Miguel Canto and Eder Jofre should get consideration too.
Pascal Perez comes to mind, Alexis Arguello.

Poet

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Id say Roberto Duran. The problem with European fighters is they are hesitant about travelling to fight, and most of the big, career defining fights happen in the US. Theres been some great talent from Europe that never showed itself on the big stage.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Heres my list

1.Roberto Duran
2.Carlos Monzon
3.Julio Cesar Chaves
4.Alexix Arguello
5.Salvador Sanches
6.Eder Jofre
7.Ruben Olivares
8.Kid Gavilan
9.Kaosai Galaxy
10.Lennox Lewis

I based my list on what ive seen and read. Boxers like Miguel Canto and Fighting harada didnt make my list cause i havent really seen anything and read very little about them and this is ofc my list so i left them out.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
#1. roberto duran.
#2. julio cesar chavez.
#3. alexus arguello.
#4. salvador sanchez (could have been the best ever IMO)
#5. tito trinidad.
#6. ken buchanan.
#7. carlos monzon.
#8. randy turpin.
#9. jeff fennech
10. vito antufermo

·
All-Time Great
158 Posts
TommyGunn said:
#1. roberto duran.
#2. julio cesar chavez.
#3. alexus arguello.
#4. salvador sanchez (could have been the best ever IMO)
#5. tito trinidad.
#6. ken buchanan.
#7. carlos monzon.
#8. randy turpin.
#9. jeff fennech
10. vito antufermo
You got Antufemo on there but no Eder Jofre? :confused: What's up with that? Also Trinidad is from Puerto Rico which is techniquelly part of the US. So he's officially an American as is Wilfred Benitez and Wilfredo Gomez.

Poet

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
poet682006 said:
You got Antufemo on there but no Eder Jofre? :confused: What's up with that? Also Trinidad is from Puerto Rico which is techniquelly part of the US. So he's officially an American as is Wilfred Benitez and Wilfredo Gomez.

Poet
ive never classed tito as american, and if its a part of america i didn't know. i did however class beneitez as american aswell as gomez so i never really considered them for my list, i have jofre on a list i compiled awhile back somewhere in this section but he just doesn't make my top 10 here. antufermo was a champion at 154 and 160 and of course he fought that first great fight with hagler.

·
All-Time Great
158 Posts
TommyGunn said:
ive never classed tito as american, and if its a part of america i didn't know. i did however class beneitez as american aswell as gomez so i never really considered them for my list, i have jofre on a list i compiled awhile back somewhere in this section but he just doesn't make my top 10 here. antufermo was a champion at 154 and 160 and of course he fought that first great fight with hagler.
Anyone born in Puerto Rico is automatically a US citizen as Puerto Rico is a US territorial possession.

I have to admit this is the first time I've ever seen Antufermo rated as a p4p anything (unless it was a p4p mediocraty). I don't think one fight should get anyone on the list.

Poet

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
poet682006 said:
Anyone born in Puerto Rico is automatically a US citizen as Puerto Rico is a US territorial possession.

I have to admit this is the first time I've ever seen Antufermo rated as a p4p anything (unless it was a p4p mediocraty). I don't think one fight should get anyone on the list.

Poet
one fight never got him on the list, 50 0dd wins, a european title and 2 world titles did.

i'll shuffle my list leaving out tito, i wasn't aware that was the case with puerto ricans.

·
All-Time Great
158 Posts
TommyGunn said:
one fight never got him on the list, 50 0dd wins, a european title and 2 world titles did.

i'll shuffle my list leaving out tito, i wasn't aware that was the case with puerto ricans.
Well, to tell you truth I don't think any reputable expert thinks of Antufermo as an all-time great. I've certainly NEVER seen him on an all-time Middleweight list let alone any p4p lists.

Poet

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
poet682006 said:
Well, to tell you truth I don't think any reputable expert thinks of Antufermo as an all-time great. I've certainly NEVER seen him on an all-time Middleweight list let alone any p4p lists.

Poet
well, he beat guys like denny moyer and emile griffith who were very good fighters from there day, i thought he beat mintor in there first fight and if i remember corectly he was unlucky with cuts in there second fight.

if you add the fights with hagler in among those names i'll laugh and disregard anything a so called reputable expert has to say.

·
All-Time Great
158 Posts
TommyGunn said:
well, he beat guys like denny moyer and emile griffith who were very good fighters from there day, i thought he beat mintor in there first fight and if i remember corectly he was unlucky with cuts in there second fight.

if you add the fights with hagler in among those names i'll laugh and disregard anything a so called reputable expert has to say.
Griffith had been finished ten years prior to his fight with Antufermo. He was hanging on making a pathetic spectical of himself. Hagler won the first fight with Vito and got hosed by the judges so neither fight is hardly to Vito's credit. Moyer and Minter were decent fighters but hardly world beaters, I've certainly never seen either on any experts long list for greatest Middleweights.

Poet

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
poet682006 said:
Griffith had been finished ten years prior to his fight with Antufermo. He was hanging on making a pathetic spectical of himself. Hagler won the first fight with Vito and got hosed by the judges so neither fight is hardly to Vito's credit. Moyer and Minter were decent fighters but hardly world beaters, I've certainly never seen either on any experts long list for greatest Middleweights.

Poet
hey dude, lets see your list if your so smart, my list is my opinion and i thought he was a damn fine fighter in his day, who never looked out of place against any of the guys he fought. corro was another very good fighter antufermo beat.

and griifith wasn't that far gone either, he narowly lost a split decision to monzon for the middleweight title just a year before he fought antufermo, he fought for the light middleweight title after it to.

·
All-Time Great
158 Posts
TommyGunn said:
hey dude, lets see your list if your so smart, my list is my opinion and i thought he was a damn fine fighter in his day, who never looked out of place against any of the guys he fought. corro was another very good fighter antufermo beat.

and griifith wasn't that far gone either, he narowly lost a split decision to monzon for the middleweight title just a year before he fought antufermo, he fought for the light middleweight title after it to.
Relax: It's not like I've insulted your mother or something. Since you've asked for my list here it is:

1. Roberto Duran - Panama
2. Sam Langford - Canada
3. Eder Jofre - Brazil
4. Alexis Arguello - Nicaragua
5. Bob Fitzsimmons - United Kingdom
6. Carlos Monzon - Argentina
7. Jimmy Wilde - United Kingdom
8. Azumah Nelson - Ghana
9. Pascal Perez - Argentina
10. Antonio Cervantes - Columbia

And just for fun:

11. Jimmy McLarnin - Canada
12. Salvador Sanchez - Mexico
13. Joe Gans - Barbados
14. Carlos Zarate - Mexico
15. Pancho Villa - Phillipines
16. Miguel Canto - Mexico
17. Jose Napoles - Cuba
18. Ricardo Lopez - Mexico
19. Jem Driscoll - United Kingdom
20. Kid Gavilon - Cuba

Poet

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Damn u had few guys i actually forgot but still id keep my list pretty much the same but i thought Sam Langford was from u.s.a so i didnt put him on my list so he shoul prob be there somewhere. But poet didnt you never see Galaxy fight^i seen few fights with him and i thought he was awesome! Devastating power along with good combinations and i actually think the ring magazine rank him in the top 40 of all time greatest.

·
All-Time Great
158 Posts
Brutus said:
Damn u had few guys i actually forgot but still id keep my list pretty much the same but i thought Sam Langford was from u.s.a so i didnt put him on my list so he shoul prob be there somewhere. But poet didnt you never see Galaxy fight^i seen few fights with him and i thought he was awesome! Devastating power along with good combinations and i actually think the ring magazine rank him in the top 40 of all time greatest.
21. Khaosai Galaxy - Thailand
22. Louis Rodriguez - Cuba
23. Duilo Loi - Italy
24. Julio Cesar Chavez - Mexico
25. Ruben Oliveras - Mexico

Had to make the cut somewhere LOL! I was toying with ranking Galaxy higher but then I couldn't really decide who I'd drop.

Poet

1 - 20 of 33 Posts