Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is an interesting boxing rating category, that is a little vague at best.

So what does it mean to you?

For those unaware p4p means pound for pound.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
BS and More BS.

P4P puts who ever has that “Title” above the conventional brackets and laws in boxing.
Example: a P4P guy picks and chooses his fights based only on Money not talent or a legitimate ranking system.
Just like the other BS “Title” from ring magazine.
The Ring magazine Champ has no "mandos" (that I know of) so again he chooses his defenses according to money and weather the risk is worth it.

The other way the Belt holder (IBF, WBO) has mando's
And has to fight them to keep his belts and keep boxing in motion instead of the just sitting around for a once a year big money fight.

So incase you did not under stand my answer.
The P4P “tag, Title “is BS just like the Ring Magazine “Tag, Title”

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Good post Dave. However, I disagree completely.

Pound for pound to me is great. It allows boxing fans to debate the hypothetical outcomes of fights that they will never be able to see. Also, P4P is a way to recognize the smaller guys who are better at boxing than bigger guys.

The Ring belt is an honor. If you understood how they go about selecting their champ then you would know why I, along with many others, value it so highly.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
P4p means everything in boxing. Since the heavyweight division sucks and isnt even recognized anymore. The p4p status puts into perspective just who is the best fighter in the sport. You can have a top 10 list of a top 5 list but when it comes down to it. It only matters whose on top. As of right now floyd is without a doubt the best boxer in the sport and until he loses or loses credibility of that, he will be the p4p king.

Now if you are unsure what it really is for, its a way of ranking fighters throughout all the weight divisions besides heavyweight. Like who is the best all around fighter. This was created by sugar ray robinson. It was held by pernell whitaker, shane mosley, roy jones jr and now floyd mayweather. The p4p thing only really comes into effect when you have a real dominant boxer out there. Only a few came say they were the p4p king. Its an honor.

·
Fire of the Dragon
241 Posts
daveDaboxingfan said:
just to help me clarify your post can you guys answer this for me

If the P4P/Ring Magazine champ comes up with an excuse to NOT fight Cotto would you still consider him to be the P4P/ring magazine champ?

no, the p4p fighter would never refuse a fight, the p4p fighter is based on results as well as opponents!

to me i think people are divided into 2 based on what p4p means to them, some believe that fighters in th p4p category can pick an choose their opponents depending on risks, others, like myself and i think 'prettyboyfloyd' truly believe that the top 10 p4p boxers are the best boxers in the world in their weight divisions eg mayweather, calzaghe, manny etc despite the stick they get, they are the best boxers in the world, based on their talent in the ring

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
ioan_gwil said:
no, the p4p fighter would never refuse a fight, the p4p fighter is based on results as well as opponents!

to me i think people are divided into 2 based on what p4p means to them, some believe that fighters in th p4p category can pick an choose their opponents depending on risks, others, like myself and i think 'prettyboyfloyd' truly believe that the top 10 p4p boxers are the best boxers in the world in their weight divisions eg mayweather, calzaghe, manny etc despite the stick they get, they are the best boxers in the world, based on their talent in the ring
Good post! However, I think a real p4p rating evolves over time - it's not a static "top 10" for each weight class at one point in time. While one can choose to look at it in a static sense, that's not really what the rating is based upon - it has more to do with how well would these guys do in different weight divisions should they choose to dive into them.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
I agree p4p 1 is something that evolves over a career. Mayweathe rhas fought 10 years on top, which is why he is regarded as p4p the best because he hasnt lost and is always fighting champions. IF mayweather doesnt take a fight with cotto that may not be his fault. Im sure mayweather will take the fight but if it isnt made immediately, its not entirely mayweathers fault, the boxing world just doesnt work like that.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
daveDaboxingfan said:
just to help me clarify your post can you guys answer this for me

If the P4P/Ring Magazine champ comes up with an excuse to NOT fight Cotto would you still consider him to be the P4P/ring magazine champ?
It isn't that easy. What if Cotto agrees to a fight even before the Mayweather-Hatton fight? Wouldn't that entail that Cotto doesn't want FLOYD? I think so. I mean, there is no better fight for Cotto than Floyd, so Cotto should just wait for Floyd to get by Hatton and have his pen ready to sign.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
p4p brings pointless fights? explain that won to me? because its rare that any 2 p4p fights ever square off in the first place.

·
Registered
540 Posts
TysonJones said:
I agree p4p 1 is something that evolves over a career. Mayweathe rhas fought 10 years on top, which is why he is regarded as p4p the best because he hasnt lost and is always fighting champions. IF mayweather doesnt take a fight with cotto that may not be his fault. Im sure mayweather will take the fight but if it isnt made immediately, its not entirely mayweathers fault, the boxing world just doesnt work like that.
To me p4p should be a boxer who has never lost & for a long time,well in most cases.Mayweather holds this atm,he might not after the Hatton fight.Joe Calzaghe should be right there atm with Mayweather on p4p,in fact Calzaghe has been champ longer than Mayweather.Full credit to Mayweather for fighting Hatton nexst,but his p4p could very well be gone after this fight.So talk of cotto is silly @ this time.Mayweather in for the hardest fight he has ever had in his life V Hatton.Im looking forward very much 2 Hatton & Mayweather getting it on.This is no easy fight for both guys,i think Hatton will bust up Mayweather in the later rounds.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
TysonJones said:
thast what your getting david, But if anyone is going to bust anyone up in the later rounds, it will be floyd.
So this fight has the champion at 147 fighting the #1 guy at 147.
That’s super BS on your part and goes to show what a blind fanatic you are.
P4P stuff sucks and so does the Ring Magazine stuff
BTW I’ll give you a very good deal on the Brooklyn Bridge.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
I am in agreement with you Dave. Boxing is getting so crazy these days it is hard to say who is the best. Some people have Cotto at #3 on this forum, but who has he really beat? Mosley, that is it!! The belts he won he never actually beat the champ. They were vacated or stripped of the belt and him and another fighter fought to see who got it. Judah isn't worth a damn. Sure it was a great fight, but Judah is soft. I think it has a lot to do with who people like. So many people look for different things in fighters, how can someone tell me this guy is better then that guy?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts