Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
GO on yourself Paddy, guranteed bronze at least. Big egan up soon aswell:)

:D

Paddy Barnes has secured at least a bronze medal after beating Lukasz Maszczyk 11-5 in the light-flyweight quarter-final.

The 21-year-old from Belfast came out on top in a scrappy contest, frustrating the Polish fighter and cleverly picking his shots.

The first round was very even, but Barnes produced a flurry of fine punches in the second to take a lead that he never looked like surrendering.

His lead was four points after the third round, not giving the Pole any opportunities and occasionally attacking when he saw the chance.

As Barnes sat in his corner for the final round you could see the level on excitement on his face and the reality of the situation seemed to hit home.

He was told by the Irish team to ' keep doing what you are doing, calm down, only two minutes and you're there'.

Maszczyk knew it was his last chance to make an impression on the fight and attacked from the start of the round.

But Barnes showed great composure, even registering the first point.

He kept his opponent pointless for the second round in a row and secured a fight with Shiming Zou from China on Friday for a place in the gold medal match.

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
I saw Egan fight the other day and the guy is a beast. He has a good chance at fighting for the gold. Can't understand a word the guy says but a hell of a boxer.
we still have darren sutherland to go aswell.

MON THE IRISH:laugh:

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
KEnny Egan just won Irelands second with a shutout woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
weve won more medals in boxing than most of these superpowers woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
Just watched another Irish guy go through without losing a point..forget what his name is. Could've been one of those guys you mentioned.

edit. yeah that's him

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
What's the deal with this guy Barnes? Is he a full bred Irishman or was he born and raised in Belfast and chose to represent Ireland istead of Britain?

·
Registered
661 Posts
What's the deal with this guy Barnes? Is he a full bred Irishman or was he born and raised in Belfast and chose to represent Ireland istead of Britain?
He's a full bred Irishman born and raised in Belfast, the two aren't mutually exclusive.

Anyway he has a British fighter Tony Jeffries in the Semi's. Egan smashed him up last year and stopped him on a cut while he was 14-7 ahead so it's looking good:cool:

·
Registered
661 Posts
That post should have read Egan has Jeffries in his semi. Egan looks the real deal so far, he's been unlucky really throughout his career. His footwork and head movement are unbelievable. Obviously my opinion his heavily bias but to me he has been one of the most impressive p4p fighters in the tournament. Over the course of his three fights he's scored 60 points and only been tagged 4 times!!

I was really impressed with Barnes. He's known for his skill level down here but he's shown a very different side to his game so far. Particularly the last bout he was very aggressive, completely unsettled the Polish lad. His strength looks phenomenal and when he does begin to box he's clean and economical.

Seems like the high performance program is paying off big time.

G

·
Discussion Starter #12
I've been impressed with him too, looks like he's got a good future ahead of him. Only being tagged 4 times so far is unreal.

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
Is there a sutile racism sentiment in Ireland? I ask this because Sutherland (a black irishman) is in the final 8 and looks real solid with a pro style and he knocked out his last opponent, yet no talk of him.

G

·
Discussion Starter #14
No man, no rasism in Rep. of Ireland or Northern Ireland where I live. Racism in UK & Ireland is much less a problem than in USA.

I just haven't got to catch the Sutherland fight yet, he looks very good though from what I've seen.

G

·
Discussion Starter #15
Is there a sutile racism sentiment in Ireland? I ask this because Sutherland (a black irishman) is in the final 8 and looks real solid with a pro style and he knocked out his last opponent, yet no talk of him.
no but Darren doesnt fight until tomorrow mate. Ive known him about 10 years, he used to work with me in a garage. his da is a sound bloke, gave me my driving lessons and would still chat with him when i see him about. Darren is born and bred in ireland,his ma is from Dublin,and when we were about 16 he went to train in Brendan Ingles gym, was there about a year and then came home to go to college etc.. good lad, clever lad and good good fighter.

should he win tomorrow he will get the same excitment as the other two boys got today.no racism mate, we get behind our guys regardless of race. Paul Mcgrath was one of Irelands greatest ever footballers he was black but to everyone over here hes just Irish colour aint important:thumbsup:

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
No man, no rasism in Rep. of Ireland or Northern Ireland where I live. Racism in UK & Ireland is much less a problem than in USA.

I just haven't got to catch the Sutherland fight yet, he looks very good though from what I've seen.
no but Darren doesnt fight until tomorrow mate. Ive known him about 10 years, he used to work with me in a garage. his da is a sound bloke, gave me my driving lessons and would still chat with him when i see him about. Darren is born and bred in ireland,his ma is from Dublin,and when we were about 16 he went to train in Brendan Ingles gym, was there about a year and then came home to go to college etc.. good lad, clever lad and good good fighter.

should he win tomorrow he will get the same excitment as the other two boys got today.no racism mate, we get behind our guys regardless of race. Paul Mcgrath was one of Irelands greatest ever footballers he was black but to everyone over here hes just Irish colour aint important:thumbsup:
Great to know:thumbsup:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts