1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ngoudjo-Urango for June?
IBF Elimination could bump Pascal
By Dave Spencer, Fightnews Canada

Look for Hermann Ngoudjo to headline this summer’s annual outdoor show at Montreal’s Jarry Park as talk of Jean Pascal battling Edison Miranda slowly fades into the distance. A lack of network interest for the possible super-middleweight match-up coupled with Ngoudjo being mandated by the IBF to fight a title elimination bout may see the super-lightweight contender nabbing top-spot as promoter GYM presents it largest show of the year on June 6th to correspond with the Canadian Grand Prix festivities held in conjunction with the Formula 1 auto race.

Ngoudjo who sits at number three in the IBF after losing a closely contested battle with champion Paulie Malignaggi to start the year is due for a purse-bid for top spot in the organization in early February with number two ranked Demitrius Hopkins. But with Bernard’s nephew all set to face WBC champ Junior Witter, the purse-bid and subsequent fight are very unlikely to take place. And with so many of the top ten contenders already committed to fights already, Ngoudjo’s promoter Yvon Michel is hoping that fight night will see the Black Panther battling number nine ranked Juan Urango (19-1-1), a former world title challenger whose only loss came a year ago versus Ricky Hatton. Like Miranda, Urango is a Columbian native living and fighting out of Florida and is promoted by Warriors Boxing, somebody GYM recently co-promoted with in Florida and who figured prominently in last year’s outdoor show as Randall Bailey was brought to town to face Ngoudjo.

While not dead in the water yet, promoter Michel figured a vacancy would have to be created amongst one of the three sanctioning bodies that super middleweight kingpin Joe Calzaghe currently has a stranglehold on to become vacant to have the Pascal-Miranda fight happen. While things could eventually change as a result of a Hopkins-Calzaghe fight, nothing looks imminent with the WBA already having a ‘regular’ champion in Anthony Mundine and proposed match-up between the WBC’s number one and two contenders in Dennis Inkin and Carl Froch. “I believe the WBC is our best opportunity,” said Michel who all but ruled out the WBO that has seen Calzaghe carry their belt for over ten years. Seeing the doors open and a title become available for a Pascal-Miranda fight by June seem somewhat unlikely at this juncture and GYM already have the undefeated fighter penciled in to headline on a ESPN in August when NASCAR roars into town.

Pascal has been very vocal about a possible Miranda bout but while the trash talk and throat slashing gestures have been prominent outside the ring, he has yet to back it up inside the ring when it matters. After exciting audiences with his most impressive outing last August versus Kingsley Ikeke on ESPN, Pascal has struggled at times against the likes of Brian Norman and Omar Pittman. While defeating both handily in a pair of decisions, Pascal was touched up along the way and continues to struggle through a shoulder that isn’t at 100 percent. “We’re not ready right now,” said trainer Marc Ramsay after the latest Florida fight, “But give us two months rest and we’ll be ready for June.” Rest might be Pascal’s best ally right now as he has faced a gruelling schedule of six fights in the last year and has not had the opportunity to bounce back at full health.

Ngoudjo meanwhile finds himself one win away from once again meeting Paulie Malinaggi who narrowly defeated him in an IBF title match to start the year. The Brooklyn fighter had hoped of a payday with Ricky Hatton but will be contractually obligated to meet #4 ranked Lovemore N’Dou at some point. Also with prior commitments and currently ranked by the IBF are #5 ranked Jose Luis Castillo (Timothy Bradley) and #6 Andreas Kotelink (Gabriel Ress). Given the history between GYM and Warriors and the prior commitment to working together on the June show, it looks as if the Ngoudjo-Urango fight is likely.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't blame him man! His defense never materialized to where I had hoped.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Miranda would actually have a good chance to KO Taylor IMO;) I think Pascal looked sloppy in his last fight, i think he may need another 1 or 2 fights before stepping in with Miranda.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
I have no doubt tha tpavlik and taylor both beat miranda. However, at 168. I would bet on miranda against pavlik and taylor against pavlik and miranda. Just to be different ya know.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't think weight has anything to do with Taylor's problems though. Same with Miranda. He just fights like a wildman.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
I agree taylor's fallback isnt weight, its his mentality for fighting period. Miranda however I think weight was becoming a huge problem. He weighed 190 against banks and still looked ripped to shreds.

·
tellin' it like it is
18,612 Posts
i hear you, lance. miranda was weight drained when he fought pavlik. i feel like that was part of the reasons his punches weren't that effective against him. kelly definately has a good chin, but miranda being weakened definately was a factor.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
:thumbsup:All im saying it'll be more even and the fight wont be as one sided. It could all be irrelevant though. But i'd be willing to put my points where my typing fingers are.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'd bet all my points on Pavlik over Miranda at any weight. Pavlik can box. Miranda should be fighting with gorillas.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts