Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

Who is the Your Top Welterweight Pick?

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all the talk of the outcome of the Cotto vs. Margarito instant classic there is one man who looms in the darkest. He is the only man with a decisive victory over Margarito in the past eight years and the only welterweight who was has beaten every man he’s faced.

He is a stylistic mismatch for every welter out there due to his incredible size standing 6’2, activity averaging 100 punches per round and athletic ability. Style wise the only one who comes close is Margarito. He even he took a 8 / 12 boxing lesson according to my ring side score card, many fellow boxing scribes and one of the official judges.

In case you forgot or have never heard of him he is South Carolina’s own Paul “The Punisher” Williams. Current WBO Welterweight Champ and future Jr. Middle and Middleweight champion of the world. Williams is a talent still honing his skills with every outing. He silenced the critics just one year ago by beating Margarito in a classic showing of technical skill, heart and determination. This was against the “Most Feared Man in Boxing.”

He bounced back from a legitimate loss to the very talented Carlos Quintana with a no nonsense 1st round TKO. Looking at this deep division of talent it’s truly any man’s game of the elite including Margarito, Cotto, Mosley, Clottey, Berto, etc. However at this moment there is one man standing head and shoulders [literally] above all others. Has anyone questioned the Margarito camp as to why they are not demanding a rematch with the WBO Champ?

Perhaps he did learn something from Mayweather Jr. in calling out Oscar De La Hoya? I applaud him for that because at the end of the day a great fighter like Margarito must take care of himself and his family when he hangs them up. Who would argue with a 10 million dollar + payday to face the Golden Boy?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
What is this? a joke?

Paul is good and we want to see him another time against Margarito, specially because many felt Margarito could've won the fight had he started faster. But seems like hes getting in a fight that makes no sense against Winky Wright.

But hey, right now, MArgarito is the man to beat at 147.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
What is this? a joke?

Paul is good and we want to see him another time against Margarito, specially because many felt Margarito could've won the fight had he started faster. But seems like hes getting in a fight that makes no sense against Winky Wright.

But hey, right now, MArgarito is the man to beat at 147.
Plus Margarito beat the guy who destroyed Quintana who is 1-1 with Williams.

·
Registered
326 Posts
If they face again margarito will not commit the same mistake of starting up slow, and Williams is gon get KTFO

·
Registered
326 Posts
I'm sure Margarito would beat him if they fought again. Williams probably wouldn't get KTFO, but would be clearly beaten by the better man.
No, he will get KTFO

·
Registered
652 Posts
Paul Williams already outboxed, outpunched and outlasted Margarito. His style is perfect for beating Margarito - he has fast hands, throws tons of punches with his busy energetic style, he takes a great shot and took Tony's bodyshots, he used great in and out movement against the slow plodding Mexican.

Williams just has the height and style to beat Margarito and has already proved it.

Williams is the best Welterweight in the World.

G

·
If Williams wasn't beat so easily by Quintana we'd have to give him the benefit of the doubt and rate him #1 until proven otherwise. The fact that he got beat by Quintana (who was destroyed by Cotto) and he just hung on to win against Margarito, who underestimated him and started slow, doesn't make me think he's even in the top two WW's, never mind top.

G

·
Until Margarito beats Williams he can't be considered better than him. Think about it.
So how can you have Mosley as #1 when he hasn't beat Cotto?

Margarito is the recognised #1 until Williams beats him IMO. Doesn't make much sense but that's my opinion lol.

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts

Margarito is the recognised #1 until Williams beats him IMO. Doesn't make much sense but that's my opinion lol.
tight
Cotto was the #1 since Floyd retire, Margarito beat him, thats how it goes... We're not talking about true linar championship because Floyd retired with it, but we're talking about being the #1.
Cotto was universally the #2 when PBF retired, he became #1 when it happened, he got beat and Margarito is the #1 now.

G

·
tight
Cotto was the #1 since Floyd retire, Margarito beat him, thats how it goes... We're not talking about true linar championship because Floyd retired with it, but we're talking about being the #1.
Cotto was underversally the #2 when PBF retired, he became #1 when it happened, he got beat and Margarito is the #1 now.
That's the way I see it too.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Margarito is the ring magazine number 1 right now, but 2 fights ago paul wililams beat him, a still green paul wiliams as well. Paul williams is the best welterweight right now with mayweather retired.

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
Paul Williams already outboxed, outpunched and outlasted Margarito. His style is perfect for beating Margarito - he has fast hands, throws tons of punches with his busy energetic style, he takes a great shot and took Tony's bodyshots, he used great in and out movement against the slow plodding Mexican.

Williams just has the height and style to beat Margarito and has already proved it.

Williams is the best Welterweight in the World.
Good points, but he is not the best welterweight in the world. Even taking into account everything you said it was a really close fight. Margarito was the #2,3,4 welterweight (depending on the list) and he knocked out the #1, so he automatically moves into the top spot and Cotto was by far the #1 so he moves into the #2 spot.
Until Margarito beats Williams he can't be considered better than him. Think about it.
These are the unofficial scores from that fight
Harold Lederman, HBO: Williams, 116-112

Kevin Iole, Yahoo! Sports: Margarito, 116-112

Tim Smith, New York Daily News: Draw, 114-114

Steve Springer, Los Angeles Times: Draw, 114-114

Bill Dwyre, Los Angeles Times: Margarito, 115-113

Steve Kim, MaxBoxing.com: Margarito, 115-113

Doug Fischer, MaxBoxing.com: Margarito, 115-113

Jerry Magee, San Diego Union-Tribune: Williams, 116-112

Robert Morales, Los Angeles Daily News: Williams, 115-113

Carlos Arias, Orange County Register: Williams, 115-113

David Avila, Riverside Press Enterprise: Draw, 114-114

Francisco Salazar, Fightnews.com: Draw, 114-114

+ Margarito knocked out a top 10 in Cintron and THE #1 in Cotto, while Paul was losing to and getting his revenge to Quintana. If their 1st fight was a blowout it would be more of an issue, since it was a close fight it's not.
who wrote this, paul williams?
:dunno:I thought it was his trainer or his manager.

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
Margarito is the ring magazine number 1 right now, but 2 fights ago paul wililams beat him, a still green paul wiliams as well. Paul williams is the best welterweight right now with mayweather retired.
I cant see it man... If you agree Cotto was the #1, Margarito ought to be there now, despite his past performances.

Maybe the best welterweight is a term that shouldnt be used once the division still has to be cleaned, but number 1 is a term we can use. I mean, maybe some ppl might believe Gamboa is the best featherweight right now, whatever, let alone, matters the ranking, not beliefs.

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts

Shane thought that Mosley beat Cotto. I had it a draw.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts