Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
"I don't come to play around. They're going to see some different stuff and some new stuff," stated WBO welterweight champion Paul Williams as he talked about his upcoming clash with Carlos Quintana this Saturday, February 9th, on HBO Boxing After Dark. Check out what he had to say about the fight, his future plans and much more as he looks forward to a successful title defense and moving on to bigger fights.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Is it me or does this guy remind you alot of that other dude that brought alot of info from that website.

Anywayz, Personally, I think williams is goign to tko quintana late. I dont think he'll put him down or out cold but I think quintana's corner will have enough. I'd say 10 or 11. I would put my money on it goign the distance though.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
I think you are thinking of the guy who posted like ten links a day to that goofy sports nut website. Betii seems a lot cooler than that dude was. That other guy's information was only about Aussies and was usually about a month late.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
I think the chances of Williams stopping Quintana are quite low. I watched Quintana-Cotto just the other, it was a very good fight and Quintana took an awful lot of clean punches and traded with Cotto quite alot. If Williams stops him it will come late on in the fight, like the last couple of rounds IMO and most likely be a corner stoppage or Carlos retiring.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
After that fight Quintana said that Cotto was punching his arms, elbows, shoulders, and everywhere else. He said he couldn't really throw punches any more. Williams needs to sit down on his shots and not pitter patter 150 times a round agaisnt Quintana and it will be an easy go.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I lost all respect I had for Quintana the night he quit on his stool against Cotto. Personally, I hope Williams destroys him, but Williams leaves himself too open, and this will probrally be a closer fight than most people anticipate. I'm picking Williams for the descision win though. Should be interesting

·
El Violento
8,076 Posts
Quintana back and career are against the wall. He already lost to one of the top Welterweights in Cotto. Another similar lost and his championship days are pretty much over. I expect Quintana to come out at his best. I would not be shocked if he pulled off the upset.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
I lost all respect I had for Quintana the night he quit on his stool against Cotto. Personally, I hope Williams destroys him, but Williams leaves himself too open, and this will probrally be a closer fight than most people anticipate. I'm picking Williams for the descision win though. Should be interesting
I was also very shocked with Quintana quitting in his corner, but he was taking a hell of a lot of punishment. His corner were trying to make him fight, when he clearly didnt want anymore. I think this fight will be a very clear UD, im thinking in the 117-111/118-110 region, with a slight chance of a late TKO.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I think Williams comes in here to prove a point and gets him out somewhere around the middle rounds. Of course this will only keep him out of even more fights if that happens. He is going to have to take the Winky route and look beatable before he gets another big fight.

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
Quintana's stance is very low and when he's bending forward like that he's open to uppercuts and short left hooks. Williams is gonna punish him at close range until the referee or the corner stops it before the 10th round.

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
this fight should definately end in a mid to late round stoppage in williams favor. he might be wise to carry quintana a bit even if he can get him outta there early.
I dont think he's gonna gain much experience from going the distance (or even past the 9th/10th) with Quintana. After watching him struggle late in the Margarito fight I think he needs to make a statement and stop Quintana early.

·
tellin' it like it is
18,612 Posts
if he makes a statement like that it'll be even harder for him to secure fights. it's always better to get your opponent outta there asap, but it won't benefit williams as far as getting guys to fight him. now, he'd be better off if he got dropped, and came back to stop quintana. if that were to happen then every single top welter would be rushing to fight him.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
I think Williams comes in here to prove a point and gets him out somewhere around the middle rounds. Of course this will only keep him out of even more fights if that happens. He is going to have to take the Winky route and look beatable before he gets another big fight.
I agree with everything you said. :thumbsup:

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
His back could be up against a buzzsaw, and he would lose to Williams.
LOL, I agree.:laugh:

Williams will outwork, and out class Quintana in this match winning an easy decision, *possibly* even a tko.

The Captain has spoken, take it to the bank. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
if he makes a statement like that it'll be even harder for him to secure fights. it's always better to get your opponent outta there asap, but it won't benefit williams as far as getting guys to fight him. now, he'd be better off if he got dropped, and came back to stop quintana. if that were to happen then every single top welter would be rushing to fight him.
I see where you're coming from but you sound like boxers are a bunch of jackals fighting over a carcass. I don't believe in the high risk/low reward thing. Fighters are either looking to make the most money or work they way up by facing low to average opposition. If Williams gets big win after big win then he's gonna increase his fanbase thus making other fighters want to fight him because they would make decent money. You need to look impressive and be crowd pleasing before claiming for a big fight.

·
tellin' it like it is
18,612 Posts
I see where you're coming from but you sound like boxers are a bunch of jackals fighting over a carcass. I don't believe in the high risk/low reward thing. Fighters are either looking to make the most money or work they way up by facing low to average opposition. If Williams gets big win after big win then he's gonna increase his fanbase thus making other fighters want to fight him because they would make decent money. You need to look impressive and be crowd pleasing before claiming for a big fight.
:laugh:that's how i look at them for the most part. fighters are always looking for a ***** in the armour sort of speak. leonard and hagler are a prime example of this. leonard wouldn't go anywhere near hagler until he showed signs that he was slowing down. you have to believe in the high risk/low reward thing because it's practiced by all the top level fighters.

obviously, the best thing for any fighter to do is to keep winning. it's the fighters who are coming up that are willing to fight whoever. once they get to elite status it's not about fighting the best fighters anymore.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Mark you are crazy man! Williams would be silly to carry Quintana. Letting someone hang around is how you get beat by a lesser opponent. I'm not sure you were being serious when you said that, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Williams UD. I could see a stoppage happening anywhere after 8.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts