Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 192 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
• "With Delvin Rodriguez out as an opponent for Williams, junior middleweight titleholder Verno Phillips is back in the picture as Williams' likely opponent in the headline bout on HBO's Nov. 29 "Boxing After Dark" card. However, it is uncertain whether Williams will face Phillips for his 154-pound belt. If the fight happens, it could be a nontitle fight -- and Phillips likely would relinquish his belt -- if the IBF does not approve the match. "

Needless to say, this would be a lot more appealing than a Williams/Rodriguez fight.

Boxrec also has Phillips as Paul Williams next fight in the schedule so this one is probably close to being a done deal.

·
El Violento
8,076 Posts
If Williams ain't fighting Phillips for his title than he's wasting his fukking time with him. Williams needs to take his ass back to 147. They can't duck you if your not in the same weight

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
• "With Delvin Rodriguez out as an opponent for Williams, junior middleweight titleholder Verno Phillips is back in the picture as Williams' likely opponent in the headline bout on HBO's Nov. 29 "Boxing After Dark" card. However, it is uncertain whether Williams will face Phillips for his 154-pound belt. If the fight happens, it could be a nontitle fight -- and Phillips likely would relinquish his belt -- if the IBF does not approve the match. "

Needless to say, this would be a lot more appealing than a Williams/Rodriguez fight.

Boxrec also has Phillips as Paul Williams next fight in the schedule so this one is probably close to being a done deal.
Its against Phillips.

If Williams ain't fighting Phillips for his title than he's wasting his fukking time with him. Williams needs to take his ass back to 147. They can't duck you if your not in the same weight
I hope its for the title.

·
Registered
88 Posts
It doesn't really bother me if it's for the title or not, but I do like this fight. It's a good fight for Williams to take. One were he should win but will most likely be pushed enough to see what he's got at the higher weight (at least more than Williams' last opponent did).

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Considering Phillips has never been ko'ed ( I believe ) It'll be a good test of Williams new "incredible" power. I think if he is able to stop phillips then his power can't be in question any longer.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think this is about the best Paul Williams could have hoped for. Phillips may be the best fighter at 154 after beating Cory Spinks. This fight, pending a victory will be another stepping stone to bigger fights.

·
The Professor
8,572 Posts
I think this is about the best Paul Williams could have hoped for. Phillips may be the best fighter at 154 after beating Cory Spinks. This fight, pending a victory will be another stepping stone to bigger fights.
I agree, aside from Phillips being the best, I reserve that right to Forrest. He's definitely #2 tho, just ahead of that chump who doesn't fight anyone in his weight division (De La Hoya).

Williams should be careful not to beat this guy too badly. If he knocks him out all the other Welterweights Champions (minus Clottey) will relinquish their titles just to avoid fighting him. Hell, Berto might even move down to 140 and Margarito might throw a 2nd fight with Cotto just to make a trilogy out of it in attempts to wait out Williams numbered days at Welterweight. HBO needs to come up with a way to market Williams vs Clottey so they can afford to make the damn fight happen. Clottey needs some dude to embarass in the next couple months...someone before he meets up with Cintron and beats his ass too.

Best division in boxing and no real champion....it's a damn shame.

·
Boxings Own Living Legend
8,579 Posts
I like your sig showing Paul Williams and asking for a rematch with Antonio Margarito. BUT Please dont forget that Margarito begged for an immediate rematch and the reply from Goofy Goosen and Paul Williams was " We just beat Margarito,why would we want to fight him again, he's not in our plans." But now Margarito is top dog again theyre suddenly interested again. LOL. Sorry but Paul will just have to join the line now, keep fighting and winning and maybe Antonio will give him a shot :)

·
8,579 Posts
I agree, aside from Phillips being the best, I reserve that right to Forrest. He's definitely #2 tho, just ahead of that chump who doesn't fight anyone in his weight division (De La Hoya).

Williams should be careful not to beat this guy too badly. If he knocks him out all the other Welterweights Champions (minus Clottey) will relinquish their titles just to avoid fighting him. Hell, Berto might even move down to 140 and Margarito might throw a 2nd fight with Cotto just to make a trilogy out of it in attempts to wait out Williams numbered days at Welterweight. HBO needs to come up with a way to market Williams vs Clottey so they can afford to make the damn fight happen. Clottey needs some dude to embarass in the next couple months...someone before he meets up with Cintron and beats his ass too.

Best division in boxing and no real champion....it's a damn shame.

Antonio The Tijuana Tornado Margarito is the REAL world welterweight champ end of story

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I like your sig showing Paul Williams and asking for a rematch with Antonio Margarito. BUT Please dont forget that Margarito begged for an immediate rematch and the reply from Goofy Goosen and Paul Williams was " We just beat Margarito,why would we want to fight him again, he's not in our plans." But now Margarito is top dog again theyre suddenly interested again. LOL. Sorry but Paul will just have to join the line now, keep fighting and winning and maybe Antonio will give him a shot :)

The sig is not intended to say that Margarito is ducking him (even tho I believe he is). I'm just dying to see the fight.

·
8,579 Posts
I too would love to see a margarito-williams rematch, sad part is Goosen turned down the opportunity

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I too would love to see a margarito-williams rematch, sad part is Goosen turned down the opportunity
As did Arum when Williams offered Marg 4 million guaranteed. Whether it's Arum hating PW or Margarito ducking PW, either way, Paul Williams wants the fight and it's going to happen sometime down the line.

·
8,579 Posts
Id lay odds that had miguel cotto beaten margarito you'd all be hailing him as CHAMP

·
The Professor
8,572 Posts
Id lay odds that had miguel cotto beaten margarito you'd all be hailing him as CHAMP
No I wouldn't. He's over hyped too. He cheated Judah and he faded down the stretch against Mosley DEFINITELY not winning the last round and highly debatable that he won the 11th. It should have either been a draw or in Mosley's favor. He beats Mosley in a rematch or beats Williams or Clottey and I'll consider him a true champion. For the time being, he's just another guy HBO hyped, just like Pavlik.

·
8,579 Posts
No I wouldn't. He's over hyped too. He cheated Judah and he faded down the stretch against Mosley DEFINITELY not winning the last round and highly debatable that he won the 11th. It should have either been a draw or in Mosley's favor. He beats Mosley in a rematch or beats Williams or Clottey and I'll consider him a true champion. For the time being, he's just another guy HBO hyped, just like Pavlik.

Why is it, when a fighter gets his butt kicked by a superior fighter on the night, many of his fans turn on him and call him over hyped and over rated?? Why cant you just congratulate the guy that kicked your fighters butt??

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
You damn right. He would have been undefeated with a win over margarito, mosley, judah, and quintana. The only reason I dont think margarito is the best welterweight is because he got beat by williams. If he comes back and defeats williams, which is doubtful becasue he won't accept a rematch, then i'll call him the champ. But until then, I feel paul williams, as long as he can make 147, he's the best out there. Not ranked number 1, margy earned that spot, but the best.

Why is it, when a fighter gets his butt kicked by a superior fighter on the night, many of his fans turn on him and call him over hyped and over rated?? Why cant you just congratulate the guy that kicked your fighters butt??
You do it too. Also, we've been asked nicely by boxing scene not to use their sig gifs anymore CJ, as a staff member, May I ask you to remove it? No harm, its a great sig pic, but as you know, we've had problems in the past.

1 - 20 of 192 Posts