Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all know Vernon Forrest won't fight Martinez as his mandatory and supposedly Paul Williams is having a hard time finding opponents, so maybe this is a decent possibility. Martinez looked incredible against Bunema and since he is 33, he'll need to make an impact fast. He's had barely any television exposure, but his last performance should have fans clamoring to see him again. What's left to be said about Williams? I'm sure he's one more Andy Kolle away from being #1 P4P on many of your rankings. :laugh: For those that aren't so impressionable, how do you see this fight going, were it to take place early next year? I would think that Williams' leaky defense would allow Martinez to get in his fair share of shots with the same fast hands I saw the other night. This would be a great matchup in my opinion.

G

·
Martinez realy inpressed me. Haven't seen alot of him though so I don't know how good his chin is, etc. I know his only defeat he was a TKO by Margarito when he was still green. Going by his last performance I'd give him a good shot.

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
Martinez would give Williams all kinds of trouble but since he got stopped by Margarito inside 8 I don't think he can take a good shot so Williams by late TKO. Might be behind on points.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Martinez would give Williams all kinds of trouble but since he got stopped by Margarito inside 8 I don't think he can take a good shot so Williams by late TKO. Might be behind on points.
I dont think his a matter of his chin, I just think Wililams is much better. Wililams would of looked just as great if not great against bunema. I think his chin is fine though. Getting tko'ed by margarito in 8 doesnt mean his chin is bad, many solid chinned fighters have been stopped by margarito.

·
Premium Member
5,471 Posts
I really liked Martinez the other night showed a lot of skill. but Williams is in a whole different class it would be a mismatch

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
I really liked Martinez the other night showed a lot of skill. but Williams is in a whole different class it would be a mismatch
It is a whole different class. Correct. Martinez Impressed me as well, but its way to soon to tell anything form a guy beating alex bunema. Jermain Taylor ran this dude over, even worse than martinez.

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
I dont think his a matter of his chin, I just think Wililams is much better. Wililams would of looked just as great if not great against bunema. I think his chin is fine though. Getting tko'ed by margarito in 8 doesnt mean his chin is bad, many solid chinned fighters have been stopped by margarito.
Well if Williams went the distance with Margarito without being hurt (besides a few bodyshots here and there) and Martinez couldn't then there's clearly a big difference in punch resistance. Martinez being a southpaw I know he will hold his own against Williams and make it a close fight until he gets caught.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Well if Williams went the distance with Margarito without being hurt (besides a few bodyshots here and there) and Martinez couldn't then there's clearly a big difference in punch resistance. Martinez being a southpaw I know he will hold his own against Williams and make it a close fight until he gets caught.
Disagree. Thats just not how boxing works. Alot of fighters have went the distance with great fighters and then get knocked out by bums. I do believe Wililams has the better chin and is the better boxer/puncher.

G

·
It is a whole different class. Correct. Martinez Impressed me as well, but its way to soon to tell anything form a guy beating alex bunema. Jermain Taylor ran this dude over, even worse than martinez.
Of course he did, Taylor's a natural middleweight who would school Williams too.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Of course he did, Taylor's a natural middleweight who would school Williams too.
Thats actually a fight I'd like to see, I'd prob favor taylor, but I wouldnt put it past williams.

Taylor was also very green when he beat bunema, but he did look phenomenal. My point was, whooping up on bunema means very little. Hell ouma did it in what 3 or 5 rounds, can't remember.

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
Disagree. Thats just not how boxing works. Alot of fighters have went the distance with great fighters and then get knocked out by bums. I do believe Wililams has the better chin and is the better boxer/puncher.
Shot fighters maybe but we are talking about guys in their prime. Anyway we can agree Williams has the better chin (and the better offensive game IMO). That will be the difference.

G

·
Thats actually a fight I'd like to see, I'd prob favor taylor, but I wouldnt put it past williams.

Taylor was also very green when he beat bunema, but he did look phenomenal. My point was, whooping up on bunema means very little. Hell ouma did it in what 3 or 5 rounds, can't remember.
Yeah, I get your point.

About Williams, I think he is too defensively flawed (at the minute) for the top MW's. He can get away with that at WW but it remains to be seen how he'll take full blown MW punches. I think right now Taylor beats him regardless. But Williams is still learning.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Shot fighters maybe but we are talking about guys in their prime. Anyway we can agree Williams has the better chin (and the better offensive game IMO). That will be the difference.
Yes, we can agree on that.

Yeah, I get your point.

About Williams, I think he is too defensively flawed (at the minute) for the top MW's. He can get away with that at WW but it remains to be seen how he'll take full blown MW punches. I think right now Taylor beats him regardless. But Williams is still learning.
Great post.:thumbsup:

·
Boxings Own Living Legend
8,579 Posts
We all know Vernon Forrest won't fight Martinez as his mandatory and supposedly Paul Williams is having a hard time finding opponents, so maybe this is a decent possibility. Martinez looked incredible against Bunema and since he is 33, he'll need to make an impact fast. He's had barely any television exposure, but his last performance should have fans clamoring to see him again. What's left to be said about Williams? I'm sure he's one more Andy Kolle away from being #1 P4P on many of your rankings. :laugh: For those that aren't so impressionable, how do you see this fight going, were it to take place early next year? I would think that Williams' leaky defense would allow Martinez to get in his fair share of shots with the same fast hands I saw the other night. This would be a great matchup in my opinion.
LOL You can bet the farm that Goofy Goosen will not let Williams anywhere near Martinez he's too dangerous he can fight. He's looking for another Andy Kolle

·
8,579 Posts
So you think Martinez beats Williams? Serious question.
He has a chance to yes The kid can box . The only fight he lost was to Tony Margarito no shame in that. Williams would have his hands full.
I'm not completely sold on Williams anyway Which is the real Williams the one who got totally outboxed by Quintana, or the one that KO'd him.
The Kolle farce proved nothing

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
He has a chance to yes The kid can box . The only fight he lost was to Tony Margarito no shame in that. Williams would have his hands full.
I'm not completely sold on Williams anyway Which is the real Williams the one who got totally outboxed by Quintana, or the one that KO'd him.
The Kolle farce proved nothing
well I hope we soon find out becasue I think Williams is in a different league than this kid. Are you sold on martinez because he beat a b- class fight in bunema? I was impressed but not sold.

·
8,579 Posts
well I hope we soon find out becasue I think Williams is in a different league than this kid. Are you sold on martinez because he beat a b- class fight in bunema? I was impressed but not sold.
Bunema could be a better fighter than he shows. He worked with Curtis Cokes in Dallas for a few fights he was unbeaten in those. Curtis called him lazy didnt want to over do it lol

·
Registered
168 Posts
As I wrote about earlier, I don't think we can tell that much about Martinez based on the Bunema fight. Guys, Martinez had his hands down the whole fight and he got hit by about 30 punches. Bunema just wasn't there. It was basically Martinez versus a punching bag.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts