Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By G. Leon

GL: What can we expect to see from you when you face world junior welterweight champion Ricky Hatton on the 22nd of November?

Paul Malignaggi: Training camp has been very difficult, very hard work. It's definity going to pay off on the 22nd. I feel good, I had a hard working camp, on the 22nd when it's showtime, you're going to see how I'm going to perform at the best of my ability. When I do that Ricky going to come up second best.

GL: This is the biggest fight of your life obviously since Cotto. What are you looking to accomplish, and do you look at Hatton as a way to redeem to loss you suffered to Cotto?

PM: Yes, it's the biggest name since Cotto. In a way, I'm back at the highest level possible. I don't see Ricky on the same skill level as Cotto, but he does have as big of a name. That's what counts, perception is reality in a lot of people's minds. Ricky's a good fighter, he's not the best, beating him will make me the best.

GL: You were the champion going into this fight, do you feel the public is treating you like the challenger?

PM: Yes, the public is definitely looking at me as second best going into this fight. People forget really quick, I won the title a year and a half ago. They just want to concentrate on my last two performances, which weren't up to par. Things are going to turn around real quick, come the 22nd.

GL: How's your right hand doing, and are you sure it's going to hold up?

PM: I feel real confident in the hand, it feels good. I've been using it the entire camp without any problems. I don't anticipate any problems happening.

GL: You're a student of the game, you've studied Hatton. What's going to be the biggest difference going into this fight that leads to a Malignagi victory?

PM: I don't know. Ricky's saying he's coming in boxing, he's an aggressive fighter, so I'm not going to put all my eggs in one basket and give up my gameplan. I'm preparing for any kind of Ricky Hatton. I've sparred with boxers, I've sparred with aggressive guys. Basically the game plan is to be the best Paulie Malignaggi possible and make Ricky worry about us. That's how we approached the camp and that's what we've done and you're going to see in a week and half that the work will pay off."

GL:What does a victory over Hatton mean to you?

PM: It propels me to bigger and better things and I think to a certain degree it gives me more respect in the business. The perception is that Ricky is the best. I don't believe that, but beating this guy will make me consensus number one in the weight class. That's the key and that's the important thing, it makes me the number one junior welterweight in the world, hands down, no doubt about it. There are other good junior welterweights in the division, but people will have to recognize me as the best."

GL: Closing thoughts?

PM: Thanks to Boxingtalk for having me on and I will be the number one junior welterweight. On November 22, it's Paulie Malignaggi hands down.

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
"Ricky's a good fighter, he's not the best, beating him will make me the best"

Good logic Paulie.
i thought that too. he talks too fast and doesn't know what he is saying. i think he has always craved the attmention like prince naz. i think he commented on how nice it was to see naz show boat at the kevin kelley fight and he wanted to have all the limelight like that.

G

·
i thought that too. he talks too fast and doesn't know what he is saying. i think he has always craved the attmention like prince naz. i think he commented on how nice it was to see naz show boat at the kevin kelley fight and he wanted to have all the limelight like that.
Yep, he does seem to crave the attention whether it's good or bad he doesn't really care, just as long as he's in the limelight. He's no Prince Naz though. :D

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Hatton had predicted he will win in devastating fashion, Mayweather said he's gonna first outbox him then out-punch him, then knock him out

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
Hatton had predicted he will win in devastating fashion, Mayweather said he's gonna first outbox him then out-punch him, then knock him out
I really hope hes not dumb enough to believe he can outbox Malignaggi.

He has to go there and start the mauling as soon as the bell rings, he might even stop paulie.

·
Boxings Own Living Legend
8,579 Posts
Only one thing scares me about it not being a Hatton win. I fear that, though he is one of the best in the business, Floyd Snr is not the right trainer for Ricky. Its too late to turn him into a boxer. Like Mega said its gotta be Ricky the brawler, that way he'll bully Paulie into defeat. Ricky should not have fired Billy Graham

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
imo hatton gave mayweather a good fight and mayweather's game inside and out is good. malligani aint got the game and i feel hatton will win close rounds. malligani can take hits and fight back but he won't win. if he does win then i would be quite surprised since he isn't anything special to me. neither is hatton though

·
Registered
339 Posts
What I assume will happen is that Hatton will try to box early but after realising that Malignaggi is a better boxer, he will go back to his hugging best and the fight will be a bore with Hatton winning the UD.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts