Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By Mark Vester

After the recent fallout of "Irish" John Duddy, it appears that Giovanni Lorenzo (26-0, 18KOs) is possibly the new frontrunner to face Kelly Pavlik (33-0, 29KOs) on June 7 at New York's Madison Square Garden. Duddy's suffered deep cuts during Saturday's majority decision win over Walid Smichet in the co-feature to Klitschko-Ibragimov. One cut above Duddy's left eye will need a significant amount of time to properly heal, which makes a June fight nearly impossible.

Bob Arum, Pavlik's promoter, told reporters that Lorenzo is strong possibility to fight Pavlik on the eve of the Puerto Rican Day Parade.

“I don’t think Duddy is going to be ready because of the cuts,” Arum said. “We’re going to have to go to the drawing board and check out all the other middleweights. One possible opponent is the Dominican, Lorenzo Giovanni. He’s a local fighter and there are a lot of Dominicans here so it may very well be that we go with him if (Duddy’s) eye is cut badly and he can’t make it. Maybe we’ll have to fight Duddy down the road because Kelly is looking to fight three more times this year. So there’ll be plenty of opportunity to fight Duddy if he doesn’t fight him immediately."

·
Registered
349 Posts
I have never seen this guy fight before .. His record is decent though .. He has to be one Tough SOB to stand in there with Kelly though ..

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I don't understand what the trouble is all about? Just pick somebody and sign a damn contract. All this "business" in boxing is going to end up making a boxer that fights 2 times a year considered "very" active!

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Doc, great point. I've noticed that guys who should be fighting all the damn time are starting to fight every 5-6 months. Example being Jeff Lacy. What is he doing waiting until May 17th?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts