Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

Who wins Pavlik vs. Calzaghe

1 - 20 of 268 Posts

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems Roy Jones Jr is pricing himself out of the bout with Calzaghe, so now Calzaghe is looking for Pavlik. Arum and Warren will meet up to negotiate the fight after Lockett-Pavlik and hope to come with a deal to fight at 168lbs.

I really hope this fight is made, it will do more for Calzaghe's legacy and will be a very entertaining fight too.

Would you rather see Jones-Calzaghe? And who you got?

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I voted for stoppage by accident, i meant Calzaghe decision though.

Pavlik won't be able to establish his jab against Calzaghe. I think the jab is extremely important to Pavlik in order to find his range for the big right hand, and without that hes going to have alot of trouble. Pavlik will come forward in straight lines which will play into Calzaghe's hands. Calzaghe, contrary to what alot of people think, won't be backing up into corners when Pavlik is walking him down, he'll be moving laterally and countering Pavlik showing him different angles. There's no way we'll see JC backed up into the corner ala Taylor.

I don't see Pavlik winning this fight at all. He doesn't have the one-punch KO power to knock Calzaghe out, and its debatable as to how he will cope at 168. Calzaghe by wide UD.

·
tellin' it like it is
18,612 Posts
jones is pricing himself out? didn't he already say he's willing to go 50-50? maybe calzaghe is the one being too demanding. then again, we all know how difficult roy can be. i much rather see calzaghe face jones instead of pavlik.

i got calzaghe over pavlik by decision. no way calzaghe stops pavlik imo.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jones is pricing himself out? didn't he already say he's willing to go 50-50? sounds like calzaghe is the one being too demanding. i much rather see calzaghe face jones instead of pavlik.

i got calzaghe over pavlik by decision. no way calzaghe stops pavlik imo.
Yeah, i voted stoppage by accident:laugh:

·
Registered
22 Posts
There are few fights these days that I would pay to see on pay per view, but if this match materializes, I might be willing to make an exception.

Pavlik vs Calzaghe is arguably the best potential matchup that could be made in boxing at this point, or certainly one of the very best. Both men are great champions who have yet to see a loss, and whoever wins would have a huge legacy milestone. As for chosing a winner, I am torn between the two. Pavlik is young, talented and has all the momentum in the world. Calzaghe, although aging, has a vast level of experience, is in great condition, and hasn't lost in some 46 fights. It would be a classic boxer vs puncher matchup, and one of the very best that we've seen in a long time.

·
tellin' it like it is
18,612 Posts
Yeah, i voted stoppage by accident:laugh:
i figured that had to be an error, tom. i can definately see tommy thinking calzaghe stops pavlik however;)

pavlik needs to work the body, and incorporate a good amount of uppercuts in order to upset calzaghe. he'd be wise to not throw his right hand with too much conviction early. unless he has opening that's too good to pass up of course. kelly's a strong fighter, so he can afford to lessen the power of his shots.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I voted for stoppage by accident, i meant Calzaghe decision though.

Pavlik won't be able to establish his jab against Calzaghe. I think the jab is extremely important to Pavlik in order to find his range for the big right hand, and without that hes going to have alot of trouble. Pavlik will come forward in straight lines which will play into Calzaghe's hands. Calzaghe, contrary to what alot of people think, won't be backing up into corners when Pavlik is walking him down, he'll be moving laterally and countering Pavlik showing him different angles. There's no way we'll see JC backed up into the corner ala Taylor.

I don't see Pavlik winning this fight at all. He doesn't have the one-punch KO power to knock Calzaghe out, and its debatable as to how he will cope at 168. Calzaghe by wide UD.
I dont think he will have a problem at 168 he went 12 strong rounds with Taylor at 166.

·
tellin' it like it is
18,612 Posts
I dont think he will have a problem at 168 he went 12 strong rounds with Taylor at 166.
yup yup. kelly is a big ass middleweight. for those who may think calzaghe will be the stronger fighter solely because he fought his whole career at 168lbs.....think again.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I agree Big i think he will look good at 168.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I said all along I'd rather see this and its Calzaghe wide UD for me.
I see Pavlik being being tailor made for Calzaghe as long as Calzaghe has another fight left in him. The only person I see beating Calzaghe in this potential fight is himself. Kessler was more powerful and in both hands, more mobile, faster etc. They both come forward in straight lines and don't throw from enough angles.

I would be far more interested in Kessler v Pavlik, I see Kessler knocking him out.

I see Pavlik getting exposed against a better calibre of fighter.

The thing with Pavlik is yes he has a heavy right hand, but remember that it is only heavy at middleweight and not necessarily heavy at 168 or above and certainly not heavy if he doesn't land it big or enough...

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I see Pavlik being being tailor made for Calzaghe as long as Calzaghe has another fight left in him. The only person I see beating Calzaghe in this potential fight is himself. Kessler was more powerful and in both hands, more mobile, faster etc. They both come forward in straight lines and don't throw from enough angles.

I would be far more interested in Kessler v Pavlik, I see Kessler knocking him out.

I see Pavlik getting exposed against a better calibre of fighter.

The thing with Pavlik is yes he has a heavy right hand, but remember that it is only heavy at middleweight and not necessarily heavy at 168 or above and certainly not heavy if he doesn't land it big or enough...
Kessler knocking Pavlik out :laugh::laugh::laugh:

G

·
I don't see either Kessler or Calzaghe knocking Pavlik out but that's not to say it couldn't happen. Taylor almost achieved it.

By the way bucknutz that sig is off the hook!

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Why would you think he would'nt have a hard right at 168?

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I don't see either Kessler or Calzaghe knocking Pavlik out but that's not to say it couldn't happen. Taylor almost achieved it.

By the way bucknutz that sig is off the hook!
Thanks bro.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yup yup. kelly is a big ass middleweight. for those who may think calzaghe will be the stronger fighter solely because he fought his whole career at 168lbs.....think again.
Pavlik is tall but he has a lanky frame, he isn't as strong as Calzaghe at 168 i would put money on it. Infact, i don't think Pavlik is physically that strong at all, even though he punches like a mule.

Kessler knocking Pavlik out :laugh::laugh::laugh:
If Pavlik got sloppy like he did against Taylor Kessler would knock him down and then stop him. Take that to the bank. If Calzaghe opts to fight Jones, i want to see Kessler-Pavlik at 168. Its a toss-up IMO.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Pavlik is tall but he has a lanky frame, he isn't as strong as Calzaghe at 168 i would put money on it. Infact, i don't think Pavlik is physically that strong at all, even though he punches like a mule.

If Pavlik got sloppy like he did against Taylor Kessler would knock him down and then stop him. Take that to the bank. If Calzaghe opts to fight Jones, i want to see Kessler-Pavlik at 168. Its a toss-up IMO.
You wont see Kelly stick his chin out like that again.

1 - 20 of 268 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.