Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doghouse Boxing has just been notified that the Kelly Pavlik vs. Jermain Taylor rematch is being set up for 2008. HBO PPV will televise.

Also, sources have also revealed that Paulie ‘Magic Man’ Malignaggi may make his first IBF super lightweight championship defense on the undercard of the Taylor vs. Pavlik undercard against Francisco Bojado, should Bojado defeat Steve Forbes on October 6.

Another possibility for Malignaggi’s next fight is on the undercard of the long-awaited Floyd Mayweather vs. Ricky Hatton show on
December 8 in Las Vegas.

·
tellin' it like it is
18,612 Posts
it's good to hear this fight is being setup asap. I was getting pissed off listening to arum mention guys like john duddy as Pavlik next possible opponent. i think that the rematch could possibly be better than the original if taylor fights more relaxed and straightens his punches. for being such an amatuerish fighter at times he's done well for himself.

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think its time for Taylor to get a new trainer. Someone to teach him defense. Someone like Floyd Sr.

·
tellin' it like it is
18,612 Posts
agreed. he hasn't progressed at all under steward. i don't know if floyd sr would be good for jermain. maybe mcgirt would be a good choice, but he has too many fighters as it is.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Alright! Let the smack talk begin again. :) I don't think Taylor can be trained any better than he was this time. He was boxing very well in rounds 5 and 6, but he was carrying his left around his waist as usual. That's just his style, and a perfect invitation to a right hand.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
taylor needs one trainer adn one trainer only and that should be that white guy he used to have. no question about it, glad to hear the rematch is being setup fast. i didnt want to see pavlik physically destroy and end the hype of john duddy.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
I see Taylor winning the rematch no matter what trainer he has. His loss came as a big suprise to me but i think most of it was that he respect Pavlik abilitys and he payed for it that wont happen in the rematch i think, i still think taylor has the ede in every division but i still dont like the guy but that wont stop me from predicting him as the winner :D

And i agree with him getting that white guy back as his coach, altoguh manny is one of the best coaches out there if not the best.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
not with guys who arent meant to have that skilllevel, prince naseem had his own style and it worked great and manny ruined him, same thing with taylor, the wild taylor who threw alot of punches and was always in shape would beat taylor. imo

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
daveDaboxingfan said:
Pavlik by a Mid way KO.
:thumbsup: He can get a white, black, red, blue, brown guy to train him, it won't matter. He will lose the rematch. Taylor will always drop his left hand. It has become a very bad habit for him and will cost him again in the rematch.

·
tellin' it like it is
18,612 Posts
KNUCKLE UP said:
:thumbsup: He can get a white, black, red, blue, brown guy to train him, it won't matter. He will lose the rematch. Taylor will always drop his left hand. It has become a very bad habit for him and will cost him again in the rematch.
one thing to remember is that it's never too late to learn new things. you just have to be willing, you know. taylor was progressing at a so so pace and sacrificed valuable develeoping time for a early title shot. maybe he should go back to burns who he probably trusted more. bottomline is steward is obviously not the trainer for him.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
BigDigga said:
one thing to remember is that it's never too late to learn new things. you just have to be willing, you know. taylor was progressing at a so so pace and sacrificed valuable develeoping time for a early title shot. maybe he should go back to burns who he probably trusted more. bottomline is steward is obviously not the trainer for him.
I just have never been impressed with Taylor and always thought he was overrated. I thought Hopkins beat him once and also thought Winky beat him. he looked like hell against Spinks, Couldn't finish a much smaller guy in Ouma. I won;t ever question his character, he seems like a likable guy, but will root against him ever time.

·
tellin' it like it is
18,612 Posts
KNUCKLE UP said:
I just have never been impressed with Taylor and always thought he was overrated. I thought Hopkins beat him once and also thought Winky beat him. he looked like hell against Spinks, Couldn't finish a much smaller guy in Ouma. I won;t ever question his character, he seems like a likable guy, but will root against him ever time.
i feel you. I had taylor going 0-2-1 against winky and X(the draw was against hopkins). bernard was partially right about jermain being a creation. Ouma is as tough as nails, and spinks is hard for any fighter to look good against. judah was able to shine against him because of his speed. other than that who else has looked good against spinks?

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I guess it's natural to make excuses for Taylor, but he tried boxing and slugging. A new trainer is not going to make a difference at this stage in his careerer. The pressure got to him and he couldn't deal with it. Neither has any other Pavlik opponent. For whatever improvements he makes in the rematch Pavlik will also be an improved fighter.

Stewart said he knew it was over when Pavlik came out in round 3 unphased, he said he could see it in his eyes that he was very determined. I'm sure Stewart would not be able to put a full effort in a rematch.

Not surprising that Taylor couldn't put him away either, when was the last time he had a fighter in that kind of trouble? He just plain lost the skills to do it. His punches were wide and on the shoulder and over the head when they should have been underneath.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
BigDigga said:
i feel you. I had taylor going 0-2-1 against winky and X(the draw was against hopkins). bernard was partially right about jermain being a creation. Ouma is as tough as nails, and spinks is hard for any fighter to look good against. judah was able to shine against him because of his speed. other than that who else has looked good against spinks?
whether Bernard is partially right or not, I find it funny how I have never heard him say that about Taylor even once BEFORE the Pavlik fight. Think he'd be calling Taylor a creation if Pavlik didn't get up in the 2nd? Sure it's easy to say it now but where were those comments before?

·
tellin' it like it is
18,612 Posts
ItalianBull said:
whether Bernard is partially right or not, I find it funny how I have never heard him say that about Taylor even once BEFORE the Pavlik fight. Think he'd be calling Taylor a creation if Pavlik didn't get up in the 2nd? Sure it's easy to say it now but where were those comments before?
he actually did say taylor was a creation prior to taylor losing. i think the interview was on boxingtalk about a month ago.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
BigDigga said:
he actually did say taylor was a creation prior to taylor losing. i think the interview was on boxingtalk about a month ago.
really, I missed that....uuuuhhhhh hhhhhhmmmmmm......yeeeaaaaahhhhh........ well don't I feel stupid.....lol. Welcome to the boards Bud, you seem to know your shiz!

1 - 20 of 87 Posts